• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No air pressure

drqsack

Hello all. I'm new to this site and just recieved my first M35A3 a few days ago. I literally have was going to take it for its first ride when I noticed the air pressure light come on. It went lower every time I used the brake or airhorn, eventually going to zero. For the last few days it has been fine but now nothing. Right behind the drivers door, under the truck and just inside of the first rear tire is a coffee can sized object and air is pumpimg out the bottom of it. So I'm thinking the compressor is fine and that it must be some kind of blowby valve or pressure regulator stuck open or something like that. It's in the teens here so I put an electric heater up next to it but so far nothing has helped (heater put on 3-4 hours ago). Does anyone have any ideas on my next step? I tried to do a search on here first but I'm not even sure what that thing is. Also, where is a good place online to purchase parts for my duece if I need them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

wsucougarx

sounds like the airtank. Is the air coming out at the 6:00 position towards the rear of the air tank (2 long cylinders side by side)? If so, that is an air tank bleeder valve. Take a pic where the air leak is and we'll help you

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are most likely correct in that the compressor is OK. As wsucougarx mentioned, it sounds like you are looking at one of the air tanks. Are you certain that the bleed valve isn't stuck in the open position? Also, since it sounds like you are new to Deuces, have you been bleeding the air from the tanks when finished driving for the day? There is a lot of water that will condense in the tanks and cause brake problems. In addition, water + temperature in the teens = ice, which can crack the bleeder valve and other components.

drqsack

here is a picture of the item. Air is coming out the bottom of it (arrow). If you cover the hole with your hand it still leaks out somewhere else on this thing. I figured the tanks in front of it were the air tanks. That is the spare tire on the bottom left. I didn't know about bleeding the air out after you drive it. Maybe that's the problem. I also washed it the other day at 15 degrees out and some of the water froze to the frame, but not really where this thing is (I know, who is crazy enough to wash a truck in freezing temps... I guess someone who just got it and couldn't stand to see a bunch of frozen mud all over it). here is the pic if it attaches correctly. Thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I notice that it appears that electrical wiring goes into the side of where you say the air is coming out. Just guessing, but is it possible that this is some type of electric solenoid valve on the bottom of what appears to be a small tank? Possibly for remotely purging air/water from the tank either remotely by a switch or automatically? Again, this idea is a WAG!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks to be an air dryer of some sort.

At about 11 o'clock in your picture looks to be wire loom with 2 wires going to that valve that is leaking. So that valve appears to be an electric solenoid....find out what opens that valve (where are those wires going) and you'll probably find your answer.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary, it is true...great minds do think alike. You just happened to be a little faster to the mouse than I was. :lol:

I just went back and looked at the picture again, keep in mind that I've never actually seen one, but...

There are 2 large air lines going to that "can" and the electric solenoid as well as a "pilot" air line coming in the side at about 9 o'clock....that's an air dryer of some sort is my best guess

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the air dryer. There could just be some crap in the valve. You can take the valve out of the bottom...Just make sure there is no air in the system.

drqsack

Thanks for all of the responses. I will try to take the valve assembly off the bottom today and see whats in there. Where is the best place to release the air from the system when finished driving for the day? Also, if ice damaged the air dryer somehow, where would I find parts to fix it. Thanks for the help!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your air tanks should have a draincock on them.

edit, I can see them in your picture, on the bottom of the tanks.

Last edited:

Monkeyboyarmy

Mine was leaking also when I first got the truck.Gave it a few taps to re-seat the valve.I was going to take it apart to clean it but it seems to be working fine now.Also,no air pressure means no air assist for the brakes.You will still have brakes but may have to push on the peddle hard.

rwonsala

That is the CTIS compressor, the pump has a bleed off valve on the bottom. Shut off the CTIS system and see if the truck makes air. The compressor is on the driver side of the 3116 cat. Call me if you have any questions. 732-558-0990