• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Detroit locker in rear?

DrJekl

No offense intended here but I think you should keep an eye on your mechanic. If he says your differential is bad, I'd get a second opinion. Sounds to me like you have an original rear set up in your truck, he is playing on the brand name Detroit Locker with a generic term posi-trac (which is actually a brand name used for a limited slip dif but I am not sure who owns the name) and is comparing it to a Gov Loc. He has likely only seen the Gov Loc in civilian vehicles and is using that for reference. GLs are normally open and lock up when a wheel spins. a DL is normally locked and unlocks (the chirp you hear is caused as you turn corners and it is still locked) when you turn corners and other times one wheel spins faster than the other.

TCUCV

No offense taken, but I think he's on to something b/c I don't really hear my wheels chirp anymore turning corners(could just be the larger tire size). He's not trying to sell me anything, he did mention that it could last a while or crap out on my next week. I'm going wheeling next weekend so I'll see how it does. I did do a little burn out in loose sand to see if both wheels are spinning and they are so that's good news. I just hope both wheels spin while under more of a load climbing rocks.
He also gave me a tip of backing up in reverse slowly about 10 feet and then dropping it in drive. This supposedly will give the rear end a jolt to lock up...? I will post up my experience this weekend!:beer:

ODdave

Ok im just gonna say it,

YOUR MECHANIC SUX!

Find a new one.

Im not trying to be a dic* but if you where really concerned you would listen to what MANY members here have said and peel the cover off and use the pics as a refrence. The only $ you would be out is some silicone & gear lube.2cents

Last edited:

firefirefire90

wait, drop it in D to see it lock? Your mechanic is dumb. Jack up the rear of the truck and rock one tire and see if the other side locks up or not. If it does, sweet, if not, it no longer functions.

TCUCV

Ok im just gonna say it,

YOUR MECHANIC SUX!

Find a new one.

Im not trying to be a dic* but if you where really concerned you would listen to what MANY members here have said and peel the cover off and use the pics as a refrence. The only $ you would be out is some silicone & gear lube.2cents
Unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment and I feel he is not dicking me around. I was a little concerned when he told me my locker wasn't engaging but this is something that has happened to other people I know as well. If he sucks he would have told me is was broke and try to get me to put in a new one.

I posted this info to see if anyone else has had problems with their rear end not locking in...if so please chime in.

TCUCV

wait, drop it in D to see it lock? Your mechanic is dumb. Jack up the rear of the truck and rock one tire and see if the other side locks up or not. If it does, sweet, if not, it no longer functions.
This is what the majority of drag racers do after they burnout and are pulling up to the starting line...he had the truck for about two weeks and after driving it and working on it a couple of different times during that period he noticed the rear end issue.

Sorry if I haven't been explaining myself correctly but I feel my mechanic knows far more than I do or most of the people on this site. Just b/c you(those who reply and jump to conclusions that people are dumb or suck) don't understand or haven't heard of certain tricks to try to make sure the rearend is working correctly, doesn't make them wrong. 2cents

firefirefire90

This is what the majority of drag racers do after they burnout and are pulling up to the starting line...he had the truck for about two weeks and after driving it and working on it a couple of different times during that period he noticed the rear end issue.

Sorry if I haven't been explaining myself correctly but I feel my mechanic knows far more than I do or most of the people on this site. Just b/c you(those who reply and jump to conclusions that people are dumb or suck) don't understand or haven't heard of certain tricks to try to make sure the rearend is working correctly, doesn't make them wrong. 2cents
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks going in reverse then dropping the truck into D to see if the rear will lock up and chirp the tires has a screw loose. You understand the amount of strain and pressure this puts on the running gear? Maybe for a professional drag car that is designed to do so, but not a truck made in 1984 which is NOT a drag car. If you feel your mechanic knows far more than you or I do, then lock this thread and and never ask for our advice. There are tricks, but then there is also this thing called "physics" that comes into play with the exact situation I just described. You ask for our opinion and when the overwhelming majority says your mechanic may be wrong, you say we're wrong?

I don't know what to think of this.

thrice

Alot of people on here are mechanics or former military mechanics, including myself. In my opinion you should try the things people said to do it only takes 5 minutes or so.

ODdave

So I have to ask, How many of the checks (that have been provided to you from the people of this form) have you done?

The folks on this site have seen far more of these trucks than the guy working on your truck ever will (I will not reffer to him as a mechanic because i do not agree with the crap he is telling you about "reverse droping". I am a certified master mechanic and see this as a discrace to my kind).

So, Back to the question at hand, How did those check turn out?

TCUCV

it verifies that your rear end is locked up. I'm also not saying to haul ass in reverse and slam it into gear . . . Yes I feel a mechanic knows more than a fire fighter about fixing vehicles. I have no problem with difference of opinion but its just like my mechanic telling me that your dumb and you suck for saving someone a certain way. This isn't a trick I plan on doing every day, ONE TIME! At minimal speed necessary, not to chirp the tires, just a little jolt to try and confirm that the rear is locked up. Like another person said they can hear they locker sometimes when dropping it in drive.

I think were looking to far into this, the only thing I care about is that both my rear wheels turn at the same time!!!!!!!aua

I appreciate all the responses good and bad but b/c we love our trucks and try to fix them ourselves doesn't mean we know every thing about fixing them.

ODdave

Here, This is almost the EASIEST check in the world.

Jack the rear up so both wheels are off the ground.

Leave the truck in park.

Turn ONE of the wheels SLOWLY either direction.

If it locks into place, you have a detroit, and it is working.

If the OPPOSITE wheel turns the OPPOSITE direction it is a GM differential

Report back with those results......

FWIW, Even a light shock load from R to D can posibly CRACK the trans or transfercase.

Last edited:

TCUCV

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to jack my truck up at the moment . . . So any advice that involves that I havent been able to do. I am in an unfortunate situation with not so many tools available right now, maybe in the next couple weeks I can jack the truck up.

Odave have you ever put your truck in drive before you stopped in reverse? This is what I'm talking about! I can see where people might have misunderstood me but please don't make a big deal about backing my truck 10 feet and then dropping it in drive at a very SLOW speed(which is the same thing everyone does everyday backing out of their driveway).

Once again thanks for the advice good or bad

Last edited:

Matt1031

After reading that "trick" I completely agree that your mechanic has no idea what he is talking about. If you want to pay some shadetree to work on your vehicle and take his mechanical "advice", that's your business. However, don't expect everyone else to agree with the fool.

Additionally, If you are incapable of jacking up a tire without assistance, you have absolutely no business taking your truck off road. I say this not as an insult, but for your safety and the safety of others in the four wheeling community.

I try to remain polite, but I find it almost unbelievable that you have the audacity to tell two other SS members that they don't know what they are talking about after asking for advice. That's not just dumb, it's just plain rude. You can rest assured that I personally will never again waste my time replying to one of your threads.

Sasquatch

Thanks for all the info in this thread, it's helping some of us. I had the same question because when I first looked into one of these for snow plowing I heard a lot of descriptions like Dave Kay's about loud racheting and clunking noise and mine has never made that much noise. But after doing the checks it seems it's a Detroit and working correctly. :D

ODdave

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to jack my truck up at the moment . . . So any advice that involves that I havent been able to do. I am in an unfortunate situation with not so many tools available right now, maybe in the next couple weeks I can jack the truck up.

Odave have you ever put your truck in drive before you stopped in reverse? This is what I'm talking about! I can see where people might have misunderstood me but please don't make a big deal about backing my truck 10 feet and then dropping it in drive at a very SLOW speed(which is the same thing everyone does everyday backing out of their driveway).
Ok, First off I NEVER change directional gears in an automatic when the vehical is in movement, So thats a no....(ask the gf, I have yelled at her for it) I fix this stuff every day and dont want to work on mine.

From what you described that your guy said, you need the wheels to spin to figure out if you have a locker. You spin your wheels every time you back out of the drive?

You dont have a way to jack the truck up? If you dont have the time or money to buy and use a jack, What the heII do you care if the truck has a detroit? If you cant afford the tools or time, your not gonna be able to afford to fix the truck2cents

We tried to help, you dont wanna listen so dont ask. If you where willing to put the effort into using the info we provided you, We would be more willing to be more patient.

Why would we want to waste time on YOUR truck if even YOU dont want to.

i personally have to say im a very blessed individual when it comes to these trucks This is my first diesel and i love it been drivin it for a little over a year have had fun with it though i still have minor issues as im sure everyone does THANKS to The Guys and Ladies on this site STEEL SOLDIERS my uncles and my dad i have learned alot how to fix this truck i have my 2nd m1008 and u can best beleive i will build it better this round DREAMS are NOT BOUGHT THEY ARE BUILT. thes cucvs are tougher than most people give em credit :]
These Cucvs are an awesome truck givin the chance as much crap as i have gone thru with my m1008 i personally wouldnt give it up They are like women they need attention to lol

PS On Serious Note These Guys Are retired military im 100percent Sure That they have worked on these things more so than the average person so For u to get up here and insult these guys and Say your mech knows more and be rude after they have tried to give advice u better watch burnin the wrong bridge u may have to cross again yes these guys can have thier moment but if u have a serious question they will usally up and give u an answer if u dont want to use that info thats on u But for future reference Doing what u have done u might get into a situation and need the help of these boys and becuase of this u arent gonna get any help as i have learned Pic your battles carefully and dont cry wolf it will bite u in the butt :]

Last edited:

TCUCV

Sorry matt I don't recall saying I can't jack my truck up without assistance, I DON'T HAVE THE TOOLS! I'm the one who put my lift on. I would remove my rear diff cover and look but I have new fluid in there right now and I unfortunately have a lot going on between work, my life and my girlfriend. All the tools I was using were my fathers, which didn't warrant buying any.(jack and jack stands)

Sorry if my life doesn't revolve around working on my truck when everyone else needs me to.

The point of The whole trick is to back up about 10 feet and put the truck in drive, then people chimed in about slamming my transmission in gear and chirping tires??? I'm trying to make a point that everyone is misunderstanding me and assuming that a mechanic is stupid and sucks automatically??? If that's how these particular guys think, I don't want there help!

It sucks that this thread has gotten to this point, better luck next time

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks