• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No drive in high range. Rebuild Tcase?

noob

hey there

got a 86 m1009

sometimes there is no drive in 2h/ 4h.

Will work fine then just will loose all drive out of the blue. Then, bad grinding when i try to put it into gear.

4low works great every time.

-Got it home from above described experience,
found leaking rear output shaft seal, fluid almost empty, and pull a piece of smashed plastic out of the T case drain. i thought that this somehow part of bad seal.

new seal, full fluid, drives for three days and looses high range mid drive again, fluid still full - seal still sealing.

I look around the internets, is this a problem with my shiftier fork? if so can people suggest some place to get rebuild kit for the 208 and new fork? also, advice on procedure would be very welcome.

thanks!

86k10

My guess about that piece of plastic is it's part of the oil pump and since the 208 doesn't suck oil from the bottom of the case it has been run low enough on oil to ruin the high syncronizer and who all knows what. The oil level needs to be kept at or near plug level and i even say a little over full as the oil pump is on the rear shaft. I would say you are due for a tear down or maybe a different t case.

noob

Thanks for the reply. i have never done a T case before so this should be fun.

i had just bought the rig a week before this happened, guess ill make sure to check ALL fluid levels next time i pick up a used truck.

if i do find that its beyond the point of saving, is there a better type of T case to use? I understand that mechanical transfer is preferable to chain drive. Do you think is it possible to put a 205 in the m1009?.

thanks again

Cucvnut

You can put a 205 in the M1008 but you need to change the out put shaft on the 205 and machine the case for the bigger bearing and then get an adapter. But also the 205 is only a 2:01 gear vs the 2.61-1. I would suggest that you find a np241C T case from a 88 3/4 ton suburban its a chain driven case also but it has a lower gear set than a 208 (241 2.72-1). I did this swap in my M1008 and I was very happy with it.

wikallen

Can you put the transmission in N, then move the transfercase to 4L, then back to 2H or 4H and then the transmission in D, then go again?

Either way, you are going to need to rebuild the transfercase, or get a different one.

noob

I disassembled the the transfer case, and after picking up all 120 roller bearings...

I found that the Range fork had broken. odd thing was, i could not find the broken pieces anywhere.

When i look at the manual it seems like it was a substantial part of the fork that had broken off. i guess it got ground to shavings, or broke off little by little.

i inspected all the gears, everything looks ok to my untrained eyes.

What should i be looking for in way of damage?

Any ideas on what could have done this to the fork?

I cant spend 600 on any kind of Tcase. My only hope for another would be junkyard then rebuild it myself.