• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OH No Luck in Ohio

mgman

I talked to Hagerty and wouldn't insure me since I store the M925 outside. I called Progressive Commercial and said they don't insure military vehicles. I already have two trucks insured with them for my business. I am going to see if my neighbor can store my truck in his barn until I can get a structure built on my farm. I welcome any recommendations.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hagerty is insuring my truck that's stored outside in Washington state. They just charge me $60 more per year. I wonder if it's related to concessions they made to Gulfway as part of taking over their coverage because Hagerty also did not require that my daily driver vehicle be less than 10 years old which is a typical requirement to get Hagerty insurance.

Lonnie

I have many antique cars insured with Hagerty, but they would not insure my truck if parked outside...

They also have a stipulation that he vehicle is to only be used for club functions, parades etc.
This concerned me as I just want to ride around sometimes.

I contacted my regular State Farm insurance & they put it on one of their classic car policies with no problems.

Commercial policies I looked at were outrageous in price.
I have since built a garage to store the truck, but never switched the insurance to Hagerty.
Not trying to fix what isn't broke.

Last edited:

18operator

[require that my daily driver vehicle be less than 10 years old which is a typical requirement to get Hagerty insurance.
[/QUOTE]
I have Hagerty here in Ohio and they never asked me about my daily driver, which at that time was a bit older than 10. The only thing they really were concerned about was if the vehicle would be in a building of some sort.
They should still insure it even if it does sit out but for more money.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Hagerty policy says it can be used for pleasure driving in addition to club events & parades, etc. for 2500 miles per year but they don't ask for odometer readings.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I talked to Hagerty and wouldn't insure me since I store the M925 outside. I called Progressive Commercial and said they don't insure military vehicles. I already have two trucks insured with them for my business. I am going to see if my neighbor can store my truck in his barn until I can get a structure built on my farm. I welcome any recommendations.
I got "jacked" around by four different carriers trying to get insurance for my MV's in North Carolina. I was told no by Nationwide, Hagerty, State Farm, and Progressive. I was grasping at straws when I looked into Progressive... There was no real reason other than being told "no" and my driving record is clean. I hate to admit that I don't remember being asked about a garage. I didn't (still don't) have an indoor storage area for the trucks... It took me more than a month of asking before finally being told no four times.

In less than six hours, I had insurance coverage issued for my M936, M1088, and M1089 trucks and an assortment of trailers. My coverage was issued by Farm Bureau Insurance. Don't have a farm... Don't have a bureau... Don't have a barn...

There might be a fix for you though...

I did a quick web lookup and Ohio appears to be an insurer in your state.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the trailer coverage a seperate policy?
How does that work?

I know for my regular everyday vehichle, I have trailer coverage under it no matter what trailer it is.

I have not researched how it works with my antique Classic present policy.

I know my old policy with travelers through gulfway excluded trailers.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is the trailer coverage a seperate policy?
How does that work?

I know for my regular everyday vehichle, I have trailer coverage under it no matter what trailer it is.

I have not researched how it works with my antique Classic present policy.

I know my old policy with travelers through gulfway excluded trailers.
My policy has trailer coverage for "owned trailers" and also lists others not owned by me.

Trailers vary from state to state. South Carolina for example doesn't need a tag at all, just hook it up and go. In North Carolina, tags are required.

I don't remember the exact wording of that section of my policy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Progressive Commercial has insured me for 10 years now. You own a 1985 AM General 5 ton flatbed truck, not a military vehicle.
We agree without question that a 1985 AM General and exact same truck called a military vehicle are the same.

The only thing that concerns me are the "Insurance Weasels". That is the best way I know to say it without saying bad words and Wordsmithing with Lawyers isn't ever good in my opinion.

On the other hand, you've had a policy for 10 years showing 5 ton flatbed coverage - and that has worked.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I finally got insurance through State Farm. Classic vehicle liability only is $24.40 for six months.
Not specific to State Farm or any other insurance carrier - but PLEASE - read your insurance policy.

Make sure that there isn't a distance limitation from your "garage point". Lots of policies have a 50 mile limit. IF that is true, and if something goes wrong when you are 60 miles away from your "garage point" what happens? IF yous ask for clarification about a point of concern, get it in writing.

What if you were driving to a parade. That is perfectly legitimate... You finish the parade and let's suppose you cruise by the local home improvement store on the way home from the parade or event. You pick up ten sheets of plywood and assorted project supplies. Does your policy specifically say that your coverage is only "to and from the event"?

I personally hate wasting an hour of my life reading that kind material. Doing it keeps you safe though and makes sure that your house, your car and your other worldly possessions should be protected. You don't want to have some sort or exclusion making your life miserable IF something goes wrong.

Tim

By the way, I am not a lawyer or an insurance agent. If the deal seems too good, there might be a reason. ASK QUESTIONS!

coachgeo

Why are non OH or nearby (Maybe IN PA WV KY MI?) replying? your information from too far outside OH is worthless to this fellow. Ins. varies per region. That is why SS said this forum is to be considered "state specific"

Im in southern OH with Allstate.. but only have what is required by law (liability). Mine happens to be Commercial vehicle insurance. (Commercial only relates to size of vehicle.. has nothing to do if you use the rig for any form of commerce). If it is not converted to RV you will have to get commercial due to trucks size.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why are non OH or nearby (Maybe IN PA WV KY MI?) replying? your information from too far outside OH is worthless to this fellow. Ins. varies per region. That is why SS said this forum is to be considered "state specific"

Im in southern OH with Allstate.. but only have what is required by law (liability). Mine happens to be Commercial vehicle insurance. (Commercial only relates to size of vehicle.. has nothing to do if you use the rig for any form of commerce). If it is not converted to RV you will have to get commercial due to trucks size.
Whatever you think pal -- Ohio or not...
I believe what I shared was plain simple common knowledge
Seems that I scanned up through the posts, most comments were just that unless I missed something?

Tim

Last edited:

ToddJK

I've had to go through multiple insurers before in the past. If I called one state farm office, they told me no can do. I called a different state farm office, different agent, and they insured my deuce under PLPD or the minimum for the law. Now I go through Hagerty and I have full coverage and I'm supposed to be limited to 2500 miles per year or whatever, but they never asked for an odometer reading either, so as far as they know I'm staying within that mileage. I just never understood why some agents are so finicky with what vehicle is to be insured and the stipulations they want.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
State Farm Insured my LMTV as a Commercial Policy, Liability only due to the unknown cost of replacement parts. because i am an existing customer is the only reason they would write a policy. I had to state the use of the truck as home improvement/Maintenance and it is a commercial recreational vehicle policy. About 300 dollars a year.

DaneGer21

I use Hagerty here in OH. My normal insurance guy is a writer for them also and didn’t ask a single question except for the basic vin/mileage/etc. No mention or requirement of inside parking OR driving restrictions. Mine is $180/year with $6500 replacement cost; $1500 for parts/accessories, and some Towing if needed, I think like the first 120miles are free.

mccullek

I tried my local independent insurance guy whom I have a lot of insurance with and he said it had to be written as a commercial policy and it was too expensive. While he was quoting me, I saw all of the posts on Hagerty and they quoted me $289.00 a year, so I went with that. After a few emails and today a phone call, they turned me down because I said I was going to store it in my shop on my farm. lol This is an army truck, built for off road and they didn't want to insure it if I was driving it off of paved roads. I explained that it was only a gravel drive about a mile long, wasn't good enough, still a NO.

Not sure why they are so picky about it, but they said they only insure items for shows and as show pieces. If you call Hagerty, you better use the correct wording or it will be a big fat NO. So now I am back to square one on insurance. I have a lot of insurance through State Farm as well, so I guess I will give them a try. I'm in the rental business, thus my need for a lot of insurance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed state farm will take care of me.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please offer them up!

DaneGer21

I tried my local independent insurance guy whom I have a lot of insurance with and he said it had to be written as a commercial policy and it was too expensive. While he was quoting me, I saw all of the posts on Hagerty and they quoted me $289.00 a year, so I went with that. After a few emails and today a phone call, they turned me down because I said I was going to store it in my shop on my farm. lol This is an army truck, built for off road and they didn't want to insure it if I was driving it off of paved roads. I explained that it was only a gravel drive about a mile long, wasn't good enough, still a NO.

Not sure why they are so picky about it, but they said they only insure items for shows and as show pieces. If you call Hagerty, you better use the correct wording or it will be a big fat NO. So now I am back to square one on insurance. I have a lot of insurance through State Farm as well, so I guess I will give them a try. I'm in the rental business, thus my need for a lot of insurance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed state farm will take care of me.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please offer them up!
I can supply my insurance guys name and number, he is a writer for Hagerty. He will get it covered…we are in Ohio

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks