• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No More Water Pump Leaks When Tightening The Fan Belts

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rifleman,
Good idea, I have two trucks with slack water pump belts that I have been reluctant to adjust for concern of inducing leaks. Put me down for two brackets if and when you decide to produce them.
I have been in Scottsdale AZ all week w/ family. To bad bracket are not in stock.
Nice work
JoeC

Rifleman

Doghead, after doing some research on the drive side and the slack side of the belts it looks like you were mistaken. I do have the idler mounted on the slack side. Please see diagram. looking from the front of the engine, D1 in the diagram being the water pump and D2 being the fuel pump and the belts are turning the same direction on the truck.

pic017.gif

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead, after doing some research on the drive side and the slack side of the belts it looks like you were mistaken. I do have the idler mounted on the slack side. Please see diagram. looking from the front of the engine, D1 in the diagram being the water pump and D2 being the fuel pump and the belts are turning the same direction on the truck.

View attachment 485753

I determined the direction of rotation from your picture(posted below with explaination). I may be wrong as I can't see all the drive accecories but with some arrows and explaination maybe we can figure this out for sure.

First off I looked at the fan blabe in your picture.

If the fan and water pump are driven off the same thing, then I think the "top" of the belt where you installed the tensioner would be the tension side.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, we agree on the direction of rotation.

A belt transmits power by pulling(tension), not pushing.

I corrected your pic with slight explaination. Does this make sence?

Attachments

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You pull a belt, that's the tension side. The tension side is the bottom as the engine is pulling the belt. The idler is on the slack side.

This looks to be a good mod.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After talking to Doghead on the phone just now I realize I was wrong. The belt in this case is not driven at the fan/engine side it is being driven by the left side of the picture. Doghead's annotated white drawing is correct. The new pulley is on the tension side.

While still a good mod and it may work it will put a lot of stress on the pulley because it is not on the idle side. Probably should have a spring as well.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first concern with the added tensioner where it is is, the bearing is under much more load than it needs to be on the tension side.

Then there are a few other things.

plumkrazy

This is what makes this site, Innovative thinking and give and take discussion. This is way above my "pay grade", and you can put me on the waiting list for the finished unit.

Rifleman

dogbone, that's the funny thing about the web, i find a web site on pulleys that says my design in the right place, and you come back and say its not. I think at this point the only thing you and i are gong to agree on, is that we disagree, and leave it at that.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In your diagram, which end is driving it and which is the load? I don't see that determined in that diagram.

It is correct when it represents the smaller pulley suppling the power and the larger one as the load.

As posted(by you), the diagram is incomplete.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the term "dogbone" supposed to be funny or disrespectful(I'm not getting that).

BobS

You guys need to look at the total belt routing. The "driver pulley" is ALWAYS the crankshaft and the multiple belt "drivers" are determined by the relationship of the crank pulley to the aux pulleys in order of engine rotation. Doghead has the right theory and description-confirmed by both Dayco, Gates, and DDC Engineering staff.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Choose you words carefully, the engine drives everything!

The accessory drive pulley drives the water pump.

BobS

That's the problem Bob, the engine does not drive that pulley.
Either the crank pulley drives the accessory drive pulley (I agree that this instance the front geartrain crankshaft mounted gear is the initial driver, which is fixed to the crank pulley by the crank snout, but that simply means you must follow the rotation from the crank-the input- through all the gears up to the aux belt output from the geartrain) or you have FM driving it. ;)

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Choose you words carefully, the engine drives everything!

The accessory drive pulley drives the water pump.

Yeah, I forgot the crew I was dealing with. The end result is the same like we discussed, the new pulley is on the tension side of the belt.

;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks