• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Need to EVER use a title service!!!

1redgmc

Ok, here is the deal.

If the truck is older than 10yrs then in Vermont you ONLY need a bill of sale to get a reg. and tags. They do not only give out the reg. which is the SAME as a title in "TITLE" states they also give you tags at the same time. So...title states like Maryland will honor the VT reg. and issue you a Maryland title based on the Vermont reg. I am sending the VT tags BACK and requesting a refund. What you claim a pruchase price on the bill of sale is your business...and that's basis for how much you pay in VT taxes.

1. This process is only needed if you DONT have a title for your truck.

2. This is cheaper than using a title company that does the same thing but charges a fee on TOP of the actual cost.

3. The VT reg. fee for a CUCV is $27.00 The taxes based on what you claim as the sales price is the rest of the fee.

4. Yes they will give you a VT reg. and tags EVENTHOUGH you live in another state...I asked!! [thumbzup]

5. I will not be driving this truck in Maryland with VT tags....I am just using Vermont to get in the system. I will apply for a Maryland title & tags and then get Ins.

David

:grd:
Hmmm...

I see a couple things that are (IMO) slightly problematic with this approach - although I am NOT criticizing your method or logic! 8)

1. The great State of Vermont is doing us in the MV community a huge favor by allowing this.
2. They also enjoy huge revenue from it and are the LAST State that does it.
3. If everyone simply uses them to obtain the documentation (registration) and then demands a refund - it won't take long for them to cease providing this service that ends up costing them $$ by having to process and issue refunds. I did return the VT tags obtained by ITS - which came in the SAME DAY as the ones I applied for myself - but this was ONLY after making contact with the DMV rep and explaining my situation. I figured the cost of using Vermont was worth it to me to save time and aggravation. He did mention that so long as I did not use / install the tags - and so long as I returned everything as received - they would refund. This is where I think you may have an issue. You won't be able to return the registration for a refund if you use it to obtain MD title.

Is this whole process to be considered title skipping? It sure is - for the people that SOLD the MV's to US. They are clearly title skipping in the State they are selling them from.

We are left with very few options...

1. DEMAND A TITLE FROM THE SELLER (easiest way forward but may kill the sale)
2. Get instant gratification by making the purchase of the MV of your dreams, and then pursue one of MANY different options via YOUR State regulations. This is also known as BUYER BEWARE. Some States are easy to work through, some are not. Many DMV / MVA experiences of members are posted on this site.
3. Follow the instructions on the VT DMV website and obtain tags and registration

I agree... there is NO NEED to EVER USE A TITLE SERVICE. You can do this yourself, but the cleanest and BEST way is for the original seller to provide a TITLE.

There are SOME guys out there that are buying MV's from GL in bulk and then selling them to the public with nothing but a bill of sale. These are the guys who are the ones title skipping. I am NOT pointing fingers at anyone - just stating what I believe to be the facts in this regard.

Jokers like JOE over at ITS are simply running a straw-man operation and taking YOU and YOUR MONEY for a ride. He is doing the EXACT SAME THING that you can do yourself - but he is charging you HUNDREDS of dollars more and that is IF he even delivers. Doing it yourself takes less than two weeks.

Good luck to all who are taking the VT approach. It is indeed very simple, but personally, I'd like for the good times to last.

[thumbzup]

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im glad you shared this info with us, im also from maryalnd, and I would like to try and title my duece this way. I have a few questions for you about how you applied for vermont,

Did you have to have your vin verified? I saw this at the bottom of their paperwork.

Did you buy from a dealer or private seller, and did you make your own bill of sale to send to vermont?

Thanks for your help!
No VIN verification, I bought it from a dealer then "lost" the assigned dealer title. But it does not matter where you bought it from as long as you have a bill of sale (wherever you get it from).

David

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm...

I see a couple things that are (IMO) slightly problematic with this approach - although I am NOT criticizing your method or logic! 8)

1. The great State of Vermont is doing us in the MV community a huge favor by allowing this.
2. They also enjoy huge revenue from it and are the LAST State that does it.
3. If everyone simply uses them to obtain the documentation (registration) and then demands a refund - it won't take long for them to cease providing this service that ends up costing them $$ by having to process and issue refunds. I did return the VT tags obtained by ITS - which came in the SAME DAY as the ones I applied for myself - but this was ONLY after making contact with the DMV rep and explaining my situation. I figured the cost of using Vermont was worth it to me to save time and aggravation. He did mention that so long as I did not use / install the tags - and so long as I returned everything as received - they would refund. This is where I think you may have an issue. You won't be able to return the registration for a refund if you use it to obtain MD title.

Is this whole process to be considered title skipping? It sure is - for the people that SOLD the MV's to US. They are clearly title skipping in the State they are selling them from.

We are left with very few options...

1. DEMAND A TITLE FROM THE SELLER (easiest way forward but may kill the sale)
2. Get instant gratification by making the purchase of the MV of your dreams, and then pursue one of MANY different options via YOUR State regulations. This is also known as BUYER BEWARE. Some States are easy to work through, some are not. Many DMV / MVA experiences of members are posted on this site.
3. Follow the instructions on the VT DMV website and obtain tags and registration

I agree... there is NO NEED to EVER USE A TITLE SERVICE. You can do this yourself, but the cleanest and BEST way is for the original seller to provide a TITLE.

There are SOME guys out there that are buying MV's from GL in bulk and then selling them to the public with nothing but a bill of sale. These are the guys who are the ones title skipping. I am NOT pointing fingers at anyone - just stating what I believe to be the facts in this regard.

Jokers like JOE over at ITS are simply running a straw-man operation and taking YOU and YOUR MONEY for a ride. He is doing the EXACT SAME THING that you can do yourself - but he is charging you HUNDREDS of dollars more and that is IF he even delivers. Doing it yourself takes less than two weeks.

Good luck to all who are taking the VT approach. It is indeed very simple, but personally, I'd like for the good times to last.

[thumbzup]
The state of VT is only interested in collection tax revenue and are not really concerned about the reasons for reg. a vehicle in there state. I told them I lived out of state and even put my address on the paperwork. They then mailed me the reg. and tags to my home in MD.
The only thing you get a refund on are the tags fees, they keep the reg. fee and taxes. Actually, you need to send back the tags before you apply for a MD title because you are applying for them in MD.
I am NOT condoning in any way skipping titles. I have NEVER bought a truck that didn’t come with a clear clean title. Make the seller provide one or don’t buy the truck.
But sometimes you get in a pinch and need a way out, knowing how the system works and using the system to your advantage within the rules is IMHO the way things get done.
David

Whitey

The state of VT is only interested in collection tax revenue and are not really concerned about the reasons for reg. a vehicle in there state. I told them I lived out of state and even put my address on the paperwork. They then mailed me the reg. and tags to my home in MD.
The only thing you get a refund on are the tags fees, they keep the reg. fee and taxes. Actually, you need to send back the tags before you apply for a MD title because you are applying for them in MD.
I am NOT condoning in any way skipping titles. I have NEVER bought a truck that didn’t come with a clear clean title. Make the seller provide one or don’t buy the truck.
But sometimes you get in a pinch and need a way out, knowing how the system works and using the system to your advantage within the rules is IMHO the way things get done.
David
I agree with you here. Always get a title before the sale in my opinion. I do know that the state of MD does not alow you to title a vehicle in another state if you're a MD resident. Do like stated above and retitle in MD if thats where you live. I'm sure the fines are unpleasant. This is propbally the norm in other states as well.

86m1028

G.L. is title skipping.... I personally dont see the issue.

How is it some states dont even recognize an SF-97 as "legal" paper work ?

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title

IMHO....I would do everything I could to get a title for the truck I am buying. There are a lot of trucks out there and you don't need to ever buy one without a clean clear title! :deadhorse:

No title No sale.

But this process is a legal way to get yourself out of a jam in an emergency. :beer:

David

(I have passed over GOOD deals on trucks because they didn't have a title)

Bill in VA

I'm trying to do this right now, by going through the Vermont DMV (trying to title a 1972 MUTT.) The person I just spoke with said a bill of sale won't work, that I need something that proves the seller is authorized to sell it to me (basically, a title or registration.) This is getting pretty circular. Any ideas?

ryan77

Getting some one you know who has a mechanic or body shop to file a mechanic lien title is probably going to be the only way to get a title for a title less mv in the future!!! I wont even buy one without a title now way to much hassle.

AlxJ64

Has anyone done this recently. I have an M37 with a good clean VIN that has been in the family for Years and years as a farm truck but we never put a title on it because it never touched the road. Well, I am selling the truck to purchase another old power wagon and the buyer wants a title for it.

Vermont still working?

UNIMOG-GUY

Alxj64 and bill in VA

Pm me and I'll give you info on how you can do it in VA.

I've done 2 vehicles this way and it's completely legal. Sorry everybody else this will only work if you live in VA.

Last edited:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to do this right now, by going through the Vermont DMV (trying to title a 1972 MUTT.) The person I just spoke with said a bill of sale won't work, that I need something that proves the seller is authorized to sell it to me (basically, a title or registration.) This is getting pretty circular. Any ideas?

It's still working Joe (Warthog) just got a clean VT reg. and tags for his truck, last week.
All you need is a bill of sale, and pay the fees. You are NOT applying for a TITLE...this works because VT does not issue titles for trucks older than 15 years. What you are doing is applying for a Registration and tags....use this form :mrgreen:
http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App.pdf

Read these instructions...

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119i-Registration_App_Instructions.pdf

David

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone done this recently. I have an M37 with a good clean VIN that has been in the family for Years and years as a farm truck but we never put a title on it because it never touched the road. Well, I am selling the truck to purchase another old power wagon and the buyer wants a title for it.

Vermont still working?

Still working:mrgreen:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is from their web site....

[FONT=Arial,Arial]
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR A VERMONT REGISTRATION & TITLE​
New Vehicles:​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin properly assigned.
If vehicle was manufactured in Canada, a New Vehicle Information Statement is required.
Bill of Sale is required for Purchase & Use Tax purposes.
Odometer Disclosure Statement required if vehicle is 9 years old or newer, use form TA-VT-05 or have buyer and seller both sign the back of the title.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Used Vehicles which have been titled:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Original previous Certificate of Title assigned to you by all parties on the title and bills of sale as necessary to show complete chain of ownership. All liens must be released.
Death Certificate and/or probate papers are required when one or more previous owners are deceased.
Odometer Disclosure Statement required if vehicle is 9 years old or newer, use form TA-VT-05 or have buyer and seller both sign the back of the title.
If registered out of state to the applicant section 7 needs to be completed.
If registered out of state to the applicant, we require proof of tax paid or tax on NADA value will be collected at the time of registration.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Used Vehicles which have not been titled, and are not required to be titled:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Bill of sale must contain sufficient information to identify the vehicle including Make, Year, VIN, Purchase Price, Mileage, Signature of Seller and Date of Sale
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Used Vehicles which have not been titled, but are required to be titled in Vermont:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Original or certified copy of the last registration certificate and all bills of sale thereafter. Bill of Sale must contain sufficient information to identify the vehicle including Make, Year, VIN, Purchase Price, Mileage, Signature of Seller and Date of Sale.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks