• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No photos at Ft. Polk DRMO??

Last time I went to Ft. Polk to pick up my trailer, I also was inspecting a lot on the yard and was taking photos.

Lady from DRMO came by and said pics were not allowed. I see in plenty of threads where guys take photos at other locations.

Is this legit? Does it apply only to Ft. Polk, or are there other locations that do this? I

I can understand not wanting pics of active areas of the fort, but the surplus yard???

Thanks for any responses.

LC

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a base by base thing.
Here in the west you can take pics at Nellis AFB, but not at Barstow, CA.

Now I always ask first.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the DRMO yard and GL yard seperate? Could be a DRMO issue and not a GL issue. I know at Ft Sam the DRMO guys go ballistic if you get close to any of their stuff.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the sign as your entering ANY Federal base, it says no pictures. Just because someone says it's OK to do, I'll bet that Federal Law that says NO PICTURES trumps any GL or DRMO worker who says you can...

ryker725

I took a bunch of pictures during my trailer recovery at Ft. Polk and the lady did not say a thing. Maybe she didn't see me taking them, but I also wasn't hiding the fact..

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wasn't a problem at Camp Shelby GL yard, but at Hooks TX, you have to check your camera at the gate. Different bases have varying sensitivities about cameras. That said, I would not try to take photos of in-service vehicles at any base.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the sign as your entering ANY Federal base, it says no pictures.

I've been through just about every gate at Ft Sam and have to say I've never seen such a sign. Same can be said while I was stationed at Ft Polk, Ft Lewis, and the Yakima Training Center. Of course I was never looking for one either. I'll be sure to check next time I go through.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen them at Ft Hood, Drum, and Bragg. Immsure they are supposed to be at every post if they arent.

Last edited:

91W350

I do not remember seeing any signs at Ft. Riley for cameras, but then, it has tourist trap attractions, like Custer's House and the Infantry Museum. Hope it is not a federal law, I am busted. Glen

gunboy1656

ONly times I have seen the no camera signs were at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Ft. Gordon and on Air Force bases. And the first 2 were only limited to certain areas.

kennys@wi.rr.com

It really depends who is on base that day. If it's some big shot they will usually enforce the no picture rule, if no one is around to see it, wink wink nudge nudge, go right ahead.

Atomic

I guess I'm screwed then. I have hundreds of pictures from bases all over. It doesn't even make sense these days. You can google something and learn more about it than a random picture on base.

In 03 we were giving a tour on our ship and we were told to put away our damage control schematics so that civi's would'nt see them. Later that day a guy came up with the blue prints of the ship he had downloaded from the builder. He said he just googled it.

Like taking pictures of a base building/junk/ or a 40 year old truck in broad daylight is going to comprosmise anything other than a shuter.

Is the DRMO yard and GL yard seperate? Could be a DRMO issue and not a GL issue. I know at Ft Sam the DRMO guys go ballistic if you get close to any of their stuff.
As far as I can tell, they are not separate, everything at the DRMO yard at Polk has been released to GL. Now, I could be wrong, but that is my impression, due to what I have observed at other places like below.

It's not like say, at Ft. Sam Houston where you can only inspect items that have been released to GL (I believe there is a painted line in the yard). On one side of the line are items that are still in "federal" custody, the other side of the line are in GL custody.

Anyone who can clarify, please feel free to do so.

LC

KsM715

I do not remember seeing any signs at Ft. Riley for cameras, but then, it has tourist trap attractions, like Custer's House and the Infantry Museum. Hope it is not a federal law, I am busted. Glen

The historical stuff and the static displays are probably ok to take pics of. I have done it. But anything else and you have to be stealthy about it and even then I get really nervous about it.

Speedwoble

I was wondering about this. Previewed an M35A2 at Mechanicsburg, PA and it had a massive hole in the block. Luckily I have not seen this firsthand before, so I took a picture. GL guy made me delete it. I reviewed their auction "video" and the angle it was shot from you could not see the hole. I figured it was GL trying to keep the word from getting out.

frodobaggins

As far as I can tell, they are not separate, everything at the DRMO yard at Polk has been released to GL. Now, I could be wrong, but that is my impression, due to what I have observed at other places like below.

It's not like say, at Ft. Sam Houston where you can only inspect items that have been released to GL (I believe there is a painted line in the yard). On one side of the line are items that are still in "federal" custody, the other side of the line are in GL custody.

Anyone who can clarify, please feel free to do so.

LC

No there is lots of stuff there that is not GL. Got my ass chewed a few times.

135gmc

These days, I'd assume that the answer is NO, regardless of what anyone says. If you're visiting a base museum, they would probably be OK with anything in the museum, but any non-museum areas would probably be verboten. The bases don't hold open houses like they used to before 9/11, and bases that used to be open now have manned guard posts at the entry points.

Heath_h49008

After the base shootings in recent years, I would say they have a bigger threat INSIDE the base than out. But, guards would probably get sick with boredom if they didn't have some nit to pick at.

No there is lots of stuff there that is not GL. Got my ass chewed a few times.
Ah well, glad to see I'm not the only one! LOL

This is an older thread, I guess I was just wondering what could be so secret at the DRMO site that you shouldn't take pictures of it.

Guess I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience!

LC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks