• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No rear drive

Cleptomaniac

Ok soooo I was pulling tree stumps where the tornado went threw and then their was a loud bang auaand I lost power to my rear axel. So i thought it was the rear axel and drove home in 4wheel drive with the front axle. Now im at home and was thinking that i would swap the axle out but the transfer is not putting out any power to the rear wheels. So my question is anyone know what may b the problem? I drained the oil in the transfer case and looked in no metal peices! Any help would be great!

-Danny

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the air or sprag transfer? Sounds like it is time to replace it. I have a spare sprag if you need one.

Brown's Military Surplus in Binger should have an airshift unit.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.................... the transfer is not putting out any power to the rear wheels.........
.... but still turns the front... and you did drive it home and there were no abnormal noises coming from the TC...? Ummm, thats hard to believe.
What exactly did you do to determine its the TC?
Did you already disconnect the propeller shaft at the rear output? Does it spin free while in gear? Does the E-brake drum feel loose, only held in place by the brake shoes and lever?

I guess nothing is broken there... you just snapped a rear axle shaft!
Its easy to confirm: put in gear, jack up one (any) side of the rear axle and most probably you can turn the wheel with the propeller shaft standing still ...

G.

Cleptomaniac

Yea I broke a axle shaft but i have anouther axle. The transfer is the prob I drove it home in 4 wheel drive with the fronts pulling. Pulled the rear drive shaft and the rear output just spins freely. Like maby I sheared off a pin or something. Did that on a Jeep tranny once.
Well guess ill pull it and let you guys know what I find.:-(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please try to use a better thread title than HELP. Many people will not look at threads with titles that dont give a hint of it's topic. Also, later in a search it will be ignored.

You will definitely get better results when you put a bit more thought into your title.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.............. Pulled the rear drive shaft and the rear output just spins freely. Like maby I sheared off a pin or something. ....................
There is no pin... The large (33T) gear is firmly pressed onto the shaft and takes a woodruf key. If that key had sheared and the gear really was spinning on the shaft there would be no traction to the front either.

G.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GT,
Could he have broke the rear yoke ( split the collar) and in turn pulled the splines, I have seen that happen on other trucks though not MVs

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Im voting the output shaft is sheared where the splines start, just behind the yoke.....
If this be the case would not the nub be loose and it, the yoke, ect just fall down because this AFTER the bearing retainer

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that shaft really snapped, inside or just rearward of the bearing the brake drum would be dragging against the E-brake shoes and not spin freely.

On the other hand I've never seen a companion flange split open or its splines ripped off.
Most probably the shaft's splined end would twist off before that. But everything is possible...

G.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Park brake shoes would hold it.
If it was that loose, you would think he would see it flopping around when he turned the shaft ????, if that was the case, it would have made one HE!! of a sound going down the road

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
made one noise, SNAP.....didnt hear a thing towing it home (engine running)
OK point taken
If you were in the cab of the dead truck with the motor running, could you have head any noise???

OP, please let us know what you found

Last edited:

ODw/envy

Wouldn't raising both rear tires and attempting to spin one side by hand diagnose the rear axle issue? When you lift both rear tires off the ground in a non-double reduction axle the opposite tire turns either the same direction or the opposite (depending upon whether or not it has a "locker"). I've not attempted it on a DD so I can not say first hand what should happen.

If one where to lift the rear of the truck in the air and rotate one side and the opposite did not move then your answer is clear.

A full floater axle that is broken can easily be run with no other symptoms, less the lack of pull from that axle. I've driven them home the same way.

On a side note the pull axle may not hold up to continued full duty use. Ask me how I know!!:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks