• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No time...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C'mon man, you at least gotta write something. Did you drive the M62A2 home? You're killing me!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They bought both trucks and had to move them some 70 miles. I can't wait to hear the story. Lets just say I'm jealous.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
"Steal" is right! Did you participate Jeff?
"Participate?" - that's sounds incriminating. It definitely was Gimpy's day. I will let him tell his adventure. It is much more exciting.[thumbzup]

I grabbed the M35A2 N/A WO/W. I played it safe and hired a friend-of-a-friend to bring it home on a trailer. 80 miles one way. Pretty uneventful trip. I am going to swap transfer cases and some of the better parts onto my dump truck, and then what is left is going to become Todd Haley's new deuce fixer-upper.
. . . That is, if he ever gets his A$$ over here and helps me!!!!!!! Todd!!! aua

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
O.K. gang, I'll try to keep this short and sweet, but its quite the story. About three weeks ago, I volenteered to check out the 5 ton dumps at G.L. Columbus for another member. I extended an invite to Jeff, and he accepted. He mentioned checking some green iron out that was an hour away in Xenia. I said cool and requested a website. Kilcare raceway had a deuce cargo and wrecker advertised for $3000 o.b.o. The Friday we were to check out the dumps rolled around, and as I was waiting for Jeff to show up, I looked over our maps and decided to check Kilcare's website once more. On a side note, the website only showed the cargo deuce with the wrecker boom faintly in the back ground. To get back on topic, the website now had them advertised at $1000 o.b.o. I was VERY scepticle. Anyway, on the ride up to Columbus, a quick call was made to Kenny for some input. He called back and said he thought it was not a deuce wrecker, but a 5 ton. I was overcome by excitement, but didn't want to get too giddy. After checking out the 5 ton dumps in Columbus (a very friendly site, and willing to work with you, I might add) we headed over to a surplus tool store Jeff knew about. From there we went to Kilcare raceway. Jeff and I were both worried that Kenny had sent an accomplise(sp?) over to steal the trucks out from under us.(J/K Kenny) Getting ahold of Jeff's contact was VERY hit or miss. We ennded up arriving only to be told that Jeff's "buddy" just left. After some feet dragging, a guy Kyle told us where they were and to go check'em out. As we drove back, and they came into view we both grinned from ear to ear. The cargo started right up and was in real good condition. The 5 ton wrecker didn't have batteries but we were told it would "pull start". After looking over both rigs, I knew I wanted one of them. Jeff realized that the cargo had all the pieces that he wanted/needed for his tipper, so that left me with the wrecker.(oh darn) After ALOT ALOT ALOT of himming and hawing around on one of our parts. I prodded Jeff enough to offer 1500 for both(since they didn't have titles) and haggle from there. The offer was accepted, and I was in shock! I took the following Friday off to go try and bring the rigs home. Lots of delays on that day squashed our hopes of getting them home. This past weekend the trip was successfull. I know I am leaving alot out, but I am still under a time crunch and should be doing other things. The starter was rebuilt today and I hope to get it in Tuesday. I have always been VERY jealous when I hear stories of people getting trucks cheap. I guess I have no room to turn green anymore as my 1953 rebuilt in 1989 m62 5 ton wrecker cost me 750 plus the 40.00 in diesel to get it home. :twisted:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My word is gold! I told you I wouldn't steal them from you. I stood by and let you steal them from Kil Kare. BTW, if I remember that track and I should, aren't you going the wrong way down the track?

gimpyrobb

I actually was not on the track! Every one else was driving my truck on it, but not me, I drove it HOME! :) Kenny, I'd like to thank you for all your help and support on this purchase. I have found 3 of these on ebay and not one of them is less than $2000. Jeff I need to thank you too. Last but not least, Todd Haley told Jeff about them, Thank you too. Once I get to slow down, I'll have to find the manual and print it up so I don't mess up the crane. Anyone care to post a link?

gimpyrobb

Thank you much, I can print them up now to read at my liesure. Yeah, I was pretty surprised to get it that cheap too. I hope the starter rebuild works, it is sutch a runner. Next I'll have to tackle the power steering.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PS,no worky? Check to see that the pump shaft isn't sheared. I once heard that is a problem.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Congrats and no four old ladies to deal with either you were blessed on more than just the price. Love to hear of members getting great deals sounds like Jon's rare hole drilling rig in Cally. Love to see more shots of the truck at home and at work doing what it was made to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks