• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No tubo whine

emr

It would be a sad day if all deuces were quiet...fat lady sings...they just would not be the same, had both both are awesome to me, and some of U can actually here the whistlers driving?...:-(...u got good ears...:D...just me but i would never do power steering or a muffler , but thats just me...

Barrman

Now I can see why you and Chris get along so good. Somewhere I have a video of me driving my Gasser with about the same number of body pieces installed.

Sermis has a D model on one of his trucks. Riding in or driving the truck, no whine can be heard at all. I have only heard the turbo when he was driving away from me, at least 100 yards away and shifting gears. Pretty much, if it will rev to 2700 rpm from idle in a hurry, pull 2600 rpm in 5th (56 mph) and idle normal without overheating or any exhaust parts glowing red. The engine is good no matter the turbo model.

stumps

On my deuce, the C-turbo's whistle is most noticeable when the engine is idling, or when it is spooling down while shifting gears. When the engine is pulling, you can't hear the whistle over the engine's bark.... well, the driver can't. Everyone for about a mile radius can hear it just fine.

-Chuck

Oh man, watching that video makes me want to go for a drive :grin:. How can such a beast speak to me on such a fundamental level (takes one to know one?).

Ok, so that is characteristic of what I've felt happen a couple of times. Especially when I first hit the road...1st, 2nd, 3rd (thinking to myself hey, why am I bogging down above 2000rpm?) then zip...right up to 2500, then it's great from there.

On the trip home, I know I heard the turbo a number of times especially between higher mph shifts.

Drove her last Thursday and never heard it once. Wasn't bogging down but didn't have quite as much in 4th and 5th either.

Went out there this weekend, popped the hood and had someone do some throttle snaps after it warmed up a bit. Stood about an arms length from the passenger fender and never heard it at all.

No super excessive smoke but it's the first time I've watched it from outside.

I suppose I could liberate it and check for free spin, bearing slop, etc.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 72 A2 with an "A" engine, no doubt about it, has a whistler. Hearing protection is mandatory. My other one has a "D" engine and is pretty quiet. Don't really need hearing protection and can carry on normal conversation in the cab. Both do OK on speed although the non-whisler is a lot slower getting up to speed but once there, no problem keeping it up. Last thing about them is their SN's. They're only 20 numbers apart. Probably came off the assembly line on the same day.

Ok fellas. So I pulled the intake to the turbo. Reached in and spun the (impeller?). It didn't turn as freely as I expected. Kinda slogged.

I gave it a good side to side test, tight. Pushed and pulled it and it had maybe 1/32 inch of play but not loose. Had to give it a good bit of pressure to get a feel for the slack.

I would expect it to spin quite freely. Maybe that's just due to the oil in the bearings?

I have to say I'm not convinced it's as good as it should be. Wouldn't it free spin like a well oiled machine?

Any advice is appreciated before I pull the whole thing and start making a mess of things.aua

Thanks.

Parker2

Ok fellas. So I pulled the intake to the turbo. Reached in and spun the (impeller?). It didn't turn as freely as I expected. Kinda slogged.

I gave it a good side to side test, tight. Pushed and pulled it and it had maybe 1/32 inch of play but not loose. Had to give it a good bit of pressure to get a feel for the slack.

Any advice is appreciated before I pull the whole thing and start making a mess of things.aua

Thanks.

Did you run it before you checked the turbo? If not I would run it for a minute and make sure you get some oil up there and then check it.

tiger422

I am not sure about how free it will spin there has to be some type of oil seal.
End play should be little to no when warm.

Last edited:
I warmed it up this evening as suggested and I can hear the turbo when it's nice and warm. End play is nonexistent when it's warmed up.

However, when I went for a test drive, I experienced what one of the other guys talked about recently: WOT, max RPM = 2200 and top speed about 45.

So I'm back to the drawing board as I suspect I have some filter/injector/pump issue.

Going to start with filters, go to lift pump and work my way towards the engine. Will research forums as well.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. any other ideas are appreciated.

aua

Barrman

One of the tech manuals in the resouce link is a engine tuning guide for the LDS version of the engine. They walk you through everything needed to make it run right.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet!!! Just what my green one sounds like! You know, looking at your truck, there's a guy here in cheyenne that has maybe 6 GI trailers that would look good behind it. (picture is my truck). I will see if I can get photos for you tomorrow or this weekend.

Attachments

M35A2

This video from YouTube has a German Deuce that has a fantastic sounding turbo. It lasts for nearly 10 minutes and supplies my fix of the "Whistler"!!:grd:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HsUfKHilqg[/media]