• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise reduction

DeuceCoop

:confused: Has anyone found a way to lower the cab noise by adding a muffler to the exhaust...if so what kind did you use? It would be nice to be able to have a conversation without shouting!

DeuceCoop

Fredericksburg, Virginia

MVtrucker

It's neen done. They used a straight thru of the correct diameter, cut the stack and mounted, adding a rain cap. They say the results were worth it. Depending on the
length of the muffler, a short stack might need to be added. You'll probably have to
fabricate a new heat shield.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I muffle my ears, its easier and the kids still back off the curb when I go by,

Monster Man

I cut my exhaust stack above the joint, and spliced in a 3" race bullet muffler (glasspack), 16" long, then added the tip back on. It doesn't "muffle" the engine per se, but takes the edge off of high RPM noise so it's not like a banshee everytime your running through the gears

Pappa-G

Disconnect the pipe at the joint above the heat shield and take a grinder to the flange welds reweld the flange to a section of 3" ID pipe ( I used a 5' section to get above the box on mine) throw a rain cap on ($7.50 at the local farm store, get the 3.5" one.) bada bing you is dun!! For more noise reduction add carpet padding to your top(between the top and prop rods) and glue some to the firewall. Its your truck you can make it as red neck as you want! [^] ~Pappa-G

FSBruva

Twin50s -

Some of us have certain special lady friends that are supportive of the deuce idea only if it has certain amenities and creature comforts. [^]

Gotta try to keep her happy!

Matt

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went down to the truck parts and got a school bus muffler.Round 3" x 32" long. REALLY QUIET! My wife called it a big bottle of tylenol. No more head aches. I cut the j pipe close to the fender and clamped the muffler there. Then i cut the stack tip and clamped it into the muffler. Then reinstalled the deep water fording snorkle with the original mounts. WE can talk, not yell now and listen to the radio.

ajg6989

The worse noise I heard from my deuce was when I drove close by a stainless steal semi trailer the noise of the exhaust echoed along the trailer awh the noise had to cover my ears while driving was horrible

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went out with a tape mesure and the actual numbers are 3 1/2 dia on the pipe 30" long body and a 8" dia can. Sorry on the pics i don't have a dig camara.

Desert Rat

Guys,
When we drive down to Houston Ken and I are putting a muffler on 'Storm. I have a digital camera and will document the process for everyone to see. Pics in about 30 days or so...... I promise!!!!! Ok Ken, now we have a public service project!!! I'm bringing a bunch of tools too! You want a free welder too?

Westech

CPL
If I could make my truck louder I would!! O wait i did lol bump the fuel a tad, and I hacked off the flapper on the stack and put the turn over back on. All I can sy is umm thats loud really loud [:)]

rmgill

Does adding another muffler to the system change anything significantly on the power front? I've been thinking about this on my 5 Ton to make it more neighbor friendly. As it is now, I've avoided cranking up or leaving at anything that would be rude for running a lawn mower because the right side of the truck is 30 feet from my neighbor's house and their bedrooms. During the day, no big deal, after 8pm, I'd rather not annoy the two nice ladies next door that haven't complained yet about my truck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine, Christian Action (301-524-6144) has mufflers. I've been in his truck with and without the muffler and the difference is phenomenal. You can talk on a cell phone with the muffler.

Personally, like others on this list, I like the sound of the multifuel engine, but I do wear hearing protection!

Good luck!