• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise reduction

Rattlehead

Took a pic of mine today. I haven't drove it yet so I don't know about power loss, as too many other projects going on. But in the driveway it sounds much quieter. Not sure I like the look of it...I saved the original stack pipe and welded on the same "stack breaker" flange to it, so it can be swapped easily. It is much shorter than the current pipe with the rain cap. Had to make a new mirror arm bracket that bolts to the cab to extend the west coast arms outward to clear the muffler. I had a medium duty truck shop order it, about $60.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rattlehead, does your M45 have the front drive flanges with a lug on them? Any possibility of a pic?
Thanks!

rdixiemiller

I think if you rolled some expanded metal around the muffler to duplicate the heat shield it would look a little better. The main thing that looks out of place to me is the color. If it was flat OD and black camo, it would blend in better.
Nice looking rig! Is that attic box the heater unit?

Rattlehead

Ken, here's the pic of the hub flange.

Eventually I will repaint the whole truck, so for now everything I add gets painted the same forest green. The van was gutted when I got it, but it supposedly had a heater up top that exhausts through that stack on the front. The heated air went through a false wall in the front of the van, then down through the underside of the corrugated floor. There was also a couple of vent registers in that front wall that could be open or closed. There was fiberglass insulation in the ceiling and in the front main wall of the van, but NONE in any of the other walls. That will have to change, as this is going to be a Michigan hunting rig!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks rattlehead! I picked up a set of those hubs NOS. I'm going to try to find one more set of them for my other truck. One day I've got to get one of the purification trucks. That body is just plain cool!