• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not A Lurker Anymore.

Barrman

Howdy, my name is Tim Barr. Many of you know me from the M715 Zone. I have been lurking over here for a while now learing all I can. Now, I get to start participating. Here are some pictures of the two M35 Gassers I bought over the weekend.

I know they are Reo's and that is about it. Does anybody have any information on the engines? I imagine that most of the frame, brakes, electrical, body, winch and non gasoline stuff is going to be real close to M35A1/M35A2. Is that right?

They are exactly 40 miles from my house. I am planning to flat tow them with the medium duty military tow bar behind my M715. Besides having air in the tires, making sure the steering turns and having fluid in the transmission, t-case and axles, what else do I need to look out for?

Thanks for the help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know they are Reo's and that is about it. Does anybody have any information on the engines? I imagine that most of the frame, brakes, electrical, body, winch and non gasoline stuff is going to be real close to M35A1/M35A2. Is that right?
Welcome aboard lurker. Your observations are correct. Aside from the fuel stuff, engine and tranny ratios, most everything is similar. Engine is the OA331 build by Reo or the same engine built under cotract by Continental is the COA331. Parts are available for sure.
Flat towing. Biggest concern is stopping them. It's alot of work for the 715. I would move as much weight from the deuces to the 715 as possible. Batteries, spare tire, outer duals etc. I've had a deuce push my 7000# crew cab dually sideways from it. Be careful, if you aren't at the top of your game moving these, it could get real dangerous. I would seriously consider trying to get something heavier to move the trucks with. Speaking from experience here.

M1075

Don't we have another member on here from Giddings, TX? Surely there is a 2.5 ton or 5 ton near you who would gladly help out with a tow.

Barrman

Pistolnut is 30 miles away and Sermis is 90 away. All in the wrong direction. I was going to put 3 stock M715 engines in the back of the M715 along with the outer dual rims from the one truck that has 9.00 rims.

I could do most of the trip on back roads except I have to cross the Colorado river. That puts me going through a town, Lagrange. Other than that bottle neck, I can just cruise along on little used back roads at 20-30 mph.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just need to be aware that your stopping distance will increase 10 fold. It can be done, just take your time and be on the edge of your seat. The tire/wheel combo weighs in at about 170#. 4 tires is nearly 700# in the back of the 715. Just strip whatever you can off the towed truck and move it to the towing truck. Steady she goes!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
If I was pistolnut only 30 miles away, for the fuel I would haul them for you with my duece. I do not like to haul really big things with little things. I had a small one axle box I built push my 72 international travel all right through an intersection after the light changed. I immediately put on a new axle with brakes because that scared the heck out of me. I know it is possible to pull big things with little ones it just is very hazardous be careful and in my 2 cents think about asking pistolnut if he can help.

westfolk

RE: Re: Not A Lurker Anymore.

Welcome!!! From experience...pulling heavier trucks with smaller trucks. I do it far more than what should be done. Watch your braking(keep vehicles straight), corners, going down hills(keep them straught). Be prepared for your arse to be pushed one way or another when braking. Turn your wheel and get on the throttle to correct. And HOPE no one is in your way to do this.

m.walker

RE: Re: Not A Lurker Anymore.

Welcome aboard , I'd reconsider using the M715 . If you have to rent a truck , but more than likely someone from the site would do it . The only thing better than driving this big green iron is using it to tow more green iron around.

Hookin1

Welcome to the site........I can tell you as can a lot of people here..be very careful towing those with your 715....when you turn the duece will want to push you backend around....i just towed a M52 home with my duece,and it tried to push the duece around....

Attachments

Westech

CPL
I just flat towed my M220 40 miles and it was pushing my M35 around all over the place... A 715 towing a Deuce?? Umm I dont know if I would do that.. And if I did I would keep it about 25 MPH!! thats alot of steel pushing on that little 715.... Take it ez man

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
the one that has a front bumper has m34 wheels. It looks like the intermediate axle has had its hub flipped, but the rear has not(at least on the driver's side)