• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not A STUD anymore

sermis

Well it is a stud but only half a stud.
I am looking for ideas on the best way to get it out.
Should have used the heat wrench on the nut like I had planed.

Attachments

DanMartin

You should have enough there to grab on to it with some channel locks and twist it out....soak it in some good penetrating lube. I've seen stud puller tools that will grab on to that end and twist it out too. They look like special sockets and run about $25 a set. Just google "broken stud puller".

Then get some new studs, and use some anti-seize compound on them and you're good as new.

Jones

Cliff's on the right track. Drop the next bigger nut down over it and weld to the broken stud. The heat from welding should get it broken loose. Let it cool and shrink as much as it's going to then go after it with a wrench.
If you have the time you could also drill a bore hole about half the stud's diameter down through it far enough to get through to the other end then squirt penetrating oil into the hole and let it work for a few days. After that you should be able to turn it out with a pair of vice grips. The trick is to first turn it to tighten then loosen it. Working it back and forth will break up any left over rust.

K10A

Heat the entire area red hot and douse with you fav penetrating oil. The heat will draw in the oil . It is smoky but it works good. I vote pipe wrench. I worked for my Grandfathers machine shop for 7 years and removing stuck fasteners was one of my specialties. - A

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer "vise grips" to a pipe wrench. I would use the one with the concave jaws. It will clamp down hard and stay clamped.

Lee in Alaska

ida34

Have any of you guys used a stud extractor? It puts a lot more contact area on the stud when removing it. I agree with the heating and penetrating oil but I would try a stud extractor on it first then try the vise grips or pipe wrench. I have had great luck with the stud extractor.

rockman

Sermis, tough luck, I hate that when it happens. Heat is probably the best step with welding a nut on the end. Then cross you legs, your wife's legs, throw some salt, pray, and then turn....

good luck.

OSO

Weld a nut on the stud . The current going through the manifold should help loosen the stud.then apply some heat to the manifold ,till red then it should turn out.Or you could soak it with PB Blaster to cool it down and let it sit for a few hours . Then try tightening first a little then loosening just to break it loose. Good Luck on that adventure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, as long as you have access to a cutting torch, this is a very easy job. You can weld a nut on it but it's overkill. If the manifold is heated cherry red you will be able to twist it out with pliers. After all the years I spent in the exhaust business, this was a welcome sight. Broke off flush in a blind hole would be more of a challenge, this one is a walk in the park.

sermis

Now this F***ing sucks..........
Will 3 bolts hold the turbo on?
I used the torch to hear the manifold and I thought the stud was turning
and then snap. Drilled it but was a little of and the ease out snaped the manifold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks