• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now I'm a liar

rizzo

I bought 8 plugs from SS diesel and at least one of them was an AC 11g

this is his response:

what do you think I should do?

Hi,

Not possible! I don't buy from a supplier! We are a Wellman distributor!! Check their website, www.wellmanautomotive.com we are listed as their authorized distributor. They would NEVER ship us a competitor's brand plugs! Thats just crazy!! We have NEVER sold or stocked another brand!! We've never had AC brand plugs in the house!

Your're argueing a mute point anyways. Your controller caused the failure, it wouldn't be a warranty situation regardless.

Thanks,

Walt
SSDiesel Supply
977 Military Rd
Kenmore, NY 14217
ph 716-874-6900
fax 716-874-6966
www.ssdieselsupply.com

Quoting Kevin <kevin>:

> The other plugs came from you. I tried to take a pic and but you
> cannot read the number. The only plugs I have are the Old ones (13g)
> and the ones I got from you 070g and AC 11g.
>
> Maybe your supplier gave you the wrong plug, but I doubt that someone
> came to my house and switched plugs in the middle of the night. I
> don't have any other engines that use glow plugs so I don't have any
> plugs just laying around.
>
> 2 plugs are still stuck in the motor, I will try to get them out after
> the kids go to bed.
>
> Kevin
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Walt [mailto:walt@ssdieselsupply.com]
> Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 6:30 PM
> To: Kevin
> Subject: RE: Inquiry for SSDiesel Supply
>
>
> Hi Keven,
>
> Only the 070 wellman plugs came from us. We've never sold or stocked
> any other brand.
>
> Again, your controller is the fault here. Plugs just don't fail like
> that on their own. Never!
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Walt
> SSDiesel Supply
> 977 Military Rd
> Kenmore, NY 14217
> ph 716-874-6900
> fax 716-874-6966
> www.ssdieselsupply.com
>
>
> Quoting Kevin <kevin>:
>
>>
>> when i took the old plugs out of my truck they were all AC 13g
>>
>> after I installed the new plugs from SS Diesel they stopped working
>> after
> a
>> week so I took 6 plugs out of my truck today and 1 was labeled AC 11g
>> the rest were wellman 070g. the last two i can't get out by hand. I
>> am
> assuming
>> the tip is bulbus and won't fit out the hole.
>>
>> kevin
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Walt [mailto:walt@ssdieselsupply.com]
>> Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 10:00 AM
>> To: kevin@pridetrucking.com
>> Subject: Re: Inquiry for SSDiesel Supply
>>
>>
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> It should be an 070 on the barrel portion, not the hex. Make sure of that.
>>
>> You have a bad controller. The way your system should work is hit the
>> plugs with 24 volt for a second or two, then switch over to 12 volts.
>> If it stays on 24 volts too long they will smoke.
>> Yes they have over-temp protection, but NOT over-voltage protection.
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Walt
>> SSDiesel Supply
>> 977 Military Rd
>> Kenmore, NY 14217
>> ph 716-874-6900
>> fax 716-874-6966
>> www.ssdieselsupply.com
>>
>>
>> Quoting kevin@pridetrucking.com:
>>
>>> From: Kevin Twiss
>>> E-Mail: kevin@pridetrucking.com
>>> Phone: 888-264-3152
>>> Vehicle Year: 1986
>>> Vehicle Mileage: 108000
>>> Vehicle Model: M1008
>>> Modifications Performed:
>>> none
>>>
>>> Recent Repair Work Performed:
>>> controler card stopped working, ordered new one
>>>
>>> Message:
>>> bought "military" plugs off your site, they lasted about a week.
>>>
>>> what are the main causes of failure?
>>>
>>> do these plugs protect themselves from over heating?
>>>
>>> what is the number that should be on the side of the plug that I got
>>> from you?
>>>
>>

Blake

glow plugs

The website says 1 year unconditional guarantee on the military "24 v" plugs. I bypassed the resistor and put in the "24 volt" plugs they sell as an experiment. The truck blew them up in a couple of days and swelled the ends. Im back to stock with a takeout resistor and regular plugs and it is working fine (stock military system). I threw them away not knowing about the warranty they advertise on their site. I dont believe the ones they sell are true military 24 volt plugs. I think they are the ones like a stock cucv has with the narrow blades that are designed for the 12 volts.

Im running now the SS diesel standard plugs and everything is OK. My personal opinion is that they are not all they are cracked up to be and wont be buying any more.

Good luck.

rizzo

RE: glow plugs

this is SS Diesel Waranty Policy

Limited warranty by SSDiesel Supply for a period of one year from ship date against defects in material and workmanship. Warranty is limited to replacement of the defective plug one time. Multiple plug failures indicate a problem with the vehicle controls or operator error rather then defective plugs and are not a warranty situation. You may return up to 2 plugs per claim as multiple plugs just don't fail on the same engine unless other factors are involved such as a bad controller or abuse. Please read our FAQ section or email tech support for advice why multiple plugs fail.

Blake

Well, my truck certainly didnt like them...I understand I was trying to "reengineer the system" but I wouldnt think they should have blown them like that. maybe next time I will try the AC60g's instead of his "super plugs". Cross you fingers, Ive got the SSd-8 regular plugs in it and it is doing fine.

My question is why does advance or the auto part store have the AC60G's for like 12$ each but you can get a whole set of his plugs for something like 65$? I doubt he is taking it in the a$$ to give us a good deal.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you are certain you are in the right: pay by credit card? dispute it on basis of not receiving what you paid for, or fraud, since they state unconditional warranty, and are not upholding their own promise. you can drag it out with them for months. A small claims suit filed in your local court if that is possible will also make the wheel squeak. the deceptive trade practices act is a good one too, what with treble damages when you win. If you are certain you are in the right and didn't make a mistake. Snapshot the page with a screen capture if you can as well before they change it to cover their a$$.

rizzo

Update!!!!

just checked the output of the resistor and it is 24 volts

checked the output to the wire that hooks to the glow plug itself and that is 24v also.

that is probably why the plugs failed.

also pulled the other two plugs out that were stuck and they are wellmans.I still have 1 AC 11g plug that SS sent me. It is not the cause of my problems, but I still have it.

the fact that I got 1 ac plug and he says I didn't, is the point of this thread. If that plug was the cause of the other plugs failing then he owes me a set of plugs. Since I am getting 24v to the plugs I don't think that the one ac plug blew the resister and caused everything to fail. I guess i could be wrong. My main point on this thread is that I am not a liar. He sent me an AC plug. I've never touched a glow plug in my life until I opened his box. I don't have any plugs laying around the garage that they could have gotten mixed up with.

PS read my first post, I never asked for any plugs, just tech help.

anyways he or wellman has a problem somewhere. If he wants to ignore then that is his problem, being a small business owner I would want to know if there is a problem somewhere.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=79012#79012

85-m1028

I'm gonna say just the oposite, I say cut your loses and find something that works. There's just too much time time and energy wasted pursuing $75 bucks. the sooner you get to a solution the faster you'll be able to enjoy your truck. Thats the point right?

customer service is generaly not a priorty for some vendors, and finding out who to go to sometimes cost a little $$, I say it's the price we pay for this nich hobby!

mangus580

Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl

sorry, couldnt resist!!

I wonder how that plug got in there? Its odd, as I believe both of you :) I think its got to be as suggested, his distributer messed up.

I will try to check my voltage tomorrow and see what I get. One of these days I should check all my plugs to see if they are all good. I have suspected since the day I got it, that it has one or two bad ones....

rizzo

Re: RE: glow plugs

mangus580 said:
Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl

sorry, couldnt resist!!

I wonder how that plug got in there? Its odd, as I believe both of you :) I think its got to be as suggested, his distributer messed up.

I will try to check my voltage tomorrow and see what I get. One of these days I should check all my plugs to see if they are all good. I have suspected since the day I got it, that it has one or two bad ones....

---haha mr funny man

--- I agree. He is the distributor. He gets them direct from wellman. He doesn't stock ac parts.

---I am going to have to jump to the Bat to get 12 volts. Post your results. now that I have learned alot about this system it is easy to trouble shoot.

Towman2277

RE: Re: RE: glow plugs

Most vendors who sell parts online and out of town don't trully care what your experience with their products are......because you can't drive up to their front door and strangle them!! I swear that if I was a millionaire, theres a few who have treated me the same way that I would fly on over and meet them in person!! Hee....hee....hee......hope all works out well for you!! :D

JDToumanian

Maybe Wellman's and AC's plugs are actually made by the same manufacturer, they just stamp them with a different brand and put them in a different box... Other variations would be voltage and blade type, but if the distributor doesn't sell AC plugs then it must have come from the factory in the wrong lot...

2cents

Jon

TacticalTruck

Rizzo
how did you measure the voltage? SSDiesel said the controller drops the voltage but that is wrong. if you measure the voltage at the relay w/ the system off you will get 24V. resistors do not drop the voltage until you get current flow and that is why you see 24V at first then it drops to 12V when turned on. as you lose glow plugs you lower the current draw and this raises the voltage which can fry other glow plugs and cause them to smoke dasy chain style. i switched to AC60Gs and have had no trouble.
Jeff

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is also possible that someone returned a shipment of unused plugs to them with the AC 11g in their box and they just added them back to stock after seeing them not being heated or used. At my age I have to look really close at anything that small and it could be a mistake that became a major issue. I agree that it is time to cut the losses and go with what works. It is to bad they can not see that it is possible they made a mistake. I hope the ones you have in there now work well and for a long time.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TacticalTruck said:
Rizzo
how did you measure the voltage? SSDiesel said the controller drops the voltage but that is wrong. if you measure the voltage at the relay w/ the system off you will get 24V. resistors do not drop the voltage until you get current flow and that is why you see 24V at first then it drops to 12V when turned on. as you lose glow plugs you lower the current draw and this raises the voltage which can fry other glow plugs and cause them to smoke dasy chain style. i switched to AC60Gs and have had no trouble.
Jeff
After I posted in the other thread that the voltage doesn't change, I got out the pen and paper to do some calculations because too many people have stated this as the reason and it's been too long since I did any circuit design. Jeff is on the money here. The firewall resistor and the glow plugs (also just resistors) are in series, but there are 8 glowplugs in parallel in that part of the circuit. So, as a plug burns out in the GP circuit, the resistance in the GP circuit increases but the total current that can flow through the entire circuit decreases (less plugs). Since V=IR across any resistor, the firewall resistor is now seeing less of a current draw across it, so the voltage drop is also less. Therefore, the voltage at the solenoid increases proportionally. As more plugs burn out, the voltage after the firewall resistor keeps increasing and burning out more plugs. Ugly... Thanks Jeff!

mangus580

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I have said this several times in glow plug discussions... :)

Honestly, I am not even sure resistors fail.... until after a couple of plugs do!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
What about the last GP on the right side of a 6.5 TD, I can't even see it let alone change it. I have not changed it and my truck still starts well with the other seven SS plugs. Will that loner eventually give me problems that will force me to find it?

mangus580

Armyman, no, it wont. The Civvy controllers work totally different. The issue with the CUCV's is the attempt to make the system '24v' when its really not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks