• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now the search begins.

Removing Red Paint

:jumpin: Well I just became the owner of a slightly used HMMWV. It is an M998 that will need some work to get it back on the road. But with a few parts and a couple sheets of sandpaper it will be as good as new. As they say " it just needs a little spit and polish"!:roll: The previous owner decided that they liked red and now because I like green I will need to break out the sandpaper. I will make the recovery on Monday. I will try to get some recovery pics posted. Now the search for parts begins. If anyone has a few unwanted parts laying around send me a message. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here are a few shots of what I bought.

Sarge29 Congrads on the new M998.Im not sure how many of these u have built or what your resources are as took apart as it looks would u have any means of taking the body off the chassis and just go get it blasted as to get rid of all the paint Just a question (suggestion) i do that for a living for the DOD and We use Garnet seems to do pretty well removing the camo when we redo them. im sure thier are costs either way but as for a finished product the blasting might be a better choice in the long run but thats up to you. Good luck with the Project A hummer and a true military one at that what an attention getter :]

Sarge29

Thanks Southern Steel, I am ready to get started on my first M998 restore. Blasting may be the easiest and best method. I will get it home tomorrow and then the fun begins. I will try to keep the progress updates coming.

Oldfart

Some photos of my pile o' parts. Not sure what application, but all listed as Hummer. I have researched and there seems there are several style of seats and bows depending on ??? but I could not find photos of how the bed sides and seats I have were mounted. I have a couple of different style racks and seats that are the the OD stuff on the back of the trailer in front of the bed sides. I did find a photo of those mounted on a hummer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chief_919

OK, I have not tried the scotch brite disks before. I will give then a try. And I will be careful. There is lots of red to remove so the easier the better.
Thanks
Check the auto parts stores for Aircraft Stripper. It will eat paint like oven cleaner, but is safe for aluminum. And it won't strip CARC, so if the CARC is under the red it will be good to go.

Sarge29

OK, The load out and trip home went well. Now I just have to do a real good inspection and start the restoration process.
You are right Hotdog, USMC would look real good on it but I am afraid this one will have to go back 3 color woodland camo. The aircraft stripper is on the way.

Sarge29

On the way home.

Thanks to my son and best friend Hotdog we got it loaded. The load out and trip home went well. Now I just have to do a real good inspection and start the restoration process.
You are right Hotdog, USMC would look real good on it but I am afraid this one will have to go back 3 color woodland camo. The aircraft stripper is on the way.

Attachments

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Looks good,Its a lot more complete than the one I am getting ready to start on.Atleast your body looks good.I just found a body close to home that the guy wants $6k for just the body and frame.

frodobaggins

Check the auto parts stores for Aircraft Stripper. It will eat paint like oven cleaner, but is safe for aluminum. And it won't strip CARC, so if the CARC is under the red it will be good to go.
I don't know if you have crappy aircraft remover or super CARC, because aircraft remover has stripped every bit of CARC I have ever sprayed it on. Does usually take two sometimes 3 applications though.

Sarge29

I have been doing a little electrical work on the 998 this weekend and have ran into a problem that I have not figured out. I have no power to the gauges when I turn on the start switch. Some one in the past has installed a manual glow plug button into the PCB. That tells me that there is a problem already. I checked the TM and have no power on wire 29A. That traces back to the PCB. Will a bad PCB cause a no power situation? Also no lights of any kind (headlight, marker or tail). When the gauge cluster was removed the culprit just cut the wires so that will have to be traced out as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Sarge29

Sarge29

No power

No, There is no master switch. The Alt is missing and I have isolated the hot wire to be sure it does not short out.

earnie

did you get the paperwork sorted out= is it free and clearly yours, dont want the govt coming in and taking her back=sf97 /clear title things like that, hate to see you dump a wad into her and have uncle sugar come in and take her away

Sarge29

No power

All paperwork will be in my hands this week and i will get the title ASAP. This is a legal sale. I just got lucky with this one.
If the alternator and starter are missing will that cause the no power situation? I did connect all of the starter wires as if they were on the starter(all hot together and grounds to ground with the wires to the sol connected together) as shown in the tm.

Sarge29

Halfshaft cross

I am new to the HMMWV series of mil vehicle. There is going to be a learning curve here for me. Is there a civilian halfshaft that works on the rear of the M998? Does anyone have a parts cross reference list for any of the parts on this animal? Where is the best place to get a good PCB?
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks