• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP241 Transfer Case

LT67

Anyone ever swap an NP241 in place of the NP208? I've read that the case itself is stronger than the NP208 case, but internally the same. Just curious....

Skinny

241 I think is better stock and has upgrade cability. Plus the 241 has better options for CV rear shaft.

I think the only thing you have to worry about is some 241's have electronic VSS sender so pay attention to the tail cone for compatibility.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
241 I think is better stock and has upgrade cability. Plus the 241 has better options for CV rear shaft.

I think the only thing you have to worry about is some 241's have electronic VSS sender so pay attention to the tail cone for compatibility.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
1992 was the last year for a NP241 with mechanical speedometer drive. Those things are as rare as hens teeth. The 241 features pressurized oiling, instead of relying on chain splash. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/kinda-got-carried-away-m1028-rebuild.54469/post-2268442

LT67

I now see that the 241 has a 2.72:1 vs a 2.62:1 low range. Not much difference..

I have no plans to replace the 208 units in my trucks.... they're working just fine. Besides, I'm not running a tire bigger than a 35 anyway. And getting a 205 out of 4wd can be a major pain. I already deal with that on my 79 K20 lol

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have run several 205 transfer cases. Both 4 speeds and 400 automatics. They all shift out of 4 high best by going forward then let off gas and shift to 2 high. To shift out of 4 low stop, put transmission in neutral, then shift to 2 high. If an auto doesn't shift all the way from 4 low to 2 high kill the engine, put in 2 high, restart engine and go.

Last edited:

LT67

I have run several 205 transfer cases. Both 4 speeds and 400 automatics. They all shift out of 4 high best by going forward then let off gas and shift to 2 high. To shift out of 4 low stop, put transmission in neutral, then shift to 2 high. If an auto doesn't shift all the way from 4 low to 2 high kill the engine, put in 2 high, restart engine and go.
That's what I have to do with mine; roll forward, put in neutral, roll back a bit, hold steering wheel straight and pop it out of 4wd. And if I don't have the steering held just right, it will not come out of 4wd lol

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a np241c in my m1009 when I swapped it to a 4-speed manual. They were used in square bodies from 88-91 and 88-89 had the mechanical speedometer. You need it to have a 32 spline input to bolt into a CUCV so it would have to come from a truck with a th400 or sm465 transmission, although you could change the input shaft from 27 spline to 32 as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks