• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nuclear 5 tons.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Any details about the rocket that is attached? Yield? Anything at all?
I would offer to cruise over and look, but the other coast makes it a little difficult.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They had a big deployment in Europe in the late 1950 to early 1970. In the Netherlands, they were mounted on International M 139 D

Don't know what the D stands for.

The Dutch 109 Artillery carried the Honest John, stationed in 't Harde. That area was a big exercise area for the Dutch military, racing around in the sandy and heather area and forests. When passing in the train as kid, I remember seeing the army training their, including with tanks on the trails along the main railroad.

sdrsa hero 78 355 68 2020.jpg

This location later became a large surplus depot and was bought finally by Sindorf and sons, now called Sindorf Trading

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Netherlands played an important role in the nuclear defense of Europe, something that was first not fully known publicly and then strongly protested against by the Dutch people.

In the late 1950s, the idea was that if the Warsaw Pact countries came close to the "river line defense" (along the Dutch-German border, think "a bridge too far") the Dutch army would respond with small nuclear grenades (8, 10, 20 kT) to stop them. The grenades and rockets were provided by the US military.

Later, the "forward defense" strategy was introduced, with the critical line being the more easterly Weser - Fulda line.

Basic to this idea was that in the first days of conflict, the Soviet troops would almost certainly overrun a lot of Germany. Then the Dutch army, as part of NATO, would be the second line of defense, all to slow down the Soviet troops so large numbers US troops could get to the POMS depots in the Netherlands and join the fight to roll back the enemy with conventional troops.

They never came, so now I have a nice US 5-ton dump truck :jumpin::jumpin:

hethead

Any details about the rocket that is attached? Yield? Anything at all?
I would offer to cruise over and look, but the other coast makes it a little difficult.

It didn't have anything posted by the truck (that I saw), but it seems other members here know quite a bit! I just thought it was pretty cool and I also thought the truck had the larger wheels/tires of a bridge truck, which I'd never seen. I was hoping they'd have a Pershing missile there (my dad was part of that in Germany) but they didn't. Great museum though. Well worth a visit off I-40 in NM.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some Northern content with info. The Shilo area of Manitoba was one location we find pics from BB KW, JW and others.

bbaumcmv.jpeg bbaumjllyr.jpeg bbaumtrlrr.jpeg jffwaidakcmv.jpeg knwhtnalcmv.jpeg

There's a pic around somewhere with this early Regulus banger on the back of a truck. I'm still looking for the truck but here's some early, likely unseen history.

ddwetmysregulus.JPG

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fascinating and factual...

Any reason why this is in the Mods and Hot rodding forum? I had always assumed that in-service mods were considered as good as "factory" with regards the history of military vehicles whereas this category was for 'after release', civilian mods....

I'd even go as far as saying that an accurate, civilian built, replication of an in service modification would, for history's sake, not be lumped in with mama jama tires, bobber builds, civi trailer hitches, monster bumpers and engine upgrades..

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The later W31 warhead fitted to Honest John rockets had a yield up to 30kt. Many were also fitted with 1500lb conventional warheads. I find the Army tactical nuke era fascinating. Most folks don’t realize how many tactical atomic weapons were forward deployed with Army formations.

We can talk what they were in service at length, but what I want to know is who has done an HMV recreation of HJ? Who is going to take their M39 5 ton and recreate a Honest John truck WITH the rocket?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The later W31 warhead fitted to Honest John rockets had a yield up to 30kt. Many were also fitted with 1500lb conventional warheads. I find the Army tactical nuke era fascinating. Most folks don’t realize how many tactical atomic weapons were forward deployed with Army formations.

We can talk what they were in service at length, but what I want to know is who has done an HMV recreation of HJ? Who is going to take their M39 5 ton and recreate a Honest John truck WITH the rocket?
Now THAT would be an exciting truck to drive to the (insert name) Rally! Flying down the highway with a rocket mounted on the back of a Mxx 5-Ton. The real question would be: Do we have to paint the tip of the rocket orange so nobody freaks out about it being a fake rocket?

:cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks