• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NV4500 swap a sucess

acesneights1

OK. Both the 6.5TD flywheel and the 6.2 flywheel for 86 K30/6.2 had the same offset. 19/32. So I had to pull the starter anyway cause I botched the oil pan gasket and it was leaking like a seive from the timing case area. While I had the starter back out I tried the GR one again more patiently this time. It fits fine. I guess I wasn't trying hard enough the first time. I have the 250amp powerline alt at the Auto electric shop right now to assess it's condition. I may change the truck to 12v and use that alt. As for now I am still running fine on the DD 24v starter that I ground out. I'm racing the truck sat in the mudbogs.

moose1008

ok first off great post! i have enjoyed reading it. I am considering either an sm465 or the nv4500, but my real question is the drain tube? Why is this even needed couldn't it just be tapped and plugged?

southdave

I just realized I did not post a pic of how I dealt with the crossmember. Again, I was too lazy to look for a TH700 one. This was easy and just as good. I used to do this with my lifted trucks running 44's anyway.
Why dose this backward or maybe I did it... I used the factory mount IIRC that the molded in studs went with tranny and 3.5 bolts with a fab up spacer from left over parts from the 400 mounts to the crossmemeber
dang now I my head hurts..

Last edited:

86M10086.2L

This is a great thread. It really makes me think about pulling the trigger on a similar swap for my M1009. I think the Blazer with a manual transmission would be awesome. Although I suspect with the 3.08 gearing, I'd be better off running an SM465 with the granny first gear for towing/wheeling. Being as you don't really need overdrive in a M1009. It certainly would be cheaper.

Jim Hunter

**** yeah :goodjob:

I found one NV4500 as they are scarce over here !
I love to do the conversion as well but how I can be sure if this one NV4500 is the correct for the M1008 as parts here like bellhousing are scarce and pricey :|

Jim

Loweryd777

All great info, im looking. Into doing this in my lifted 77 k20. Smc. It has the th400 and I want the nv4500 for the granny gear and overdrive. Its my off road rig, but serves as a daily work truck too. Living 20 mikes out of town the overdrive would be nice. The th400's 1st gear is just way to tall for what I want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks