• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nv4500 swap

southdave

Dave, send me some pics of the setup. Do you get text? gotta send you that guys # for the chevy cummins adapters
Dave Iam sorry I don't text.. It is gateway to metro-sexualism,and before I know it I am useing product in my hair, wearing flip flop to church asking my friends if my ass is too big..lol..... it a slippery slope I avoid..

Last edited:

acesneights1

Dave Iam sorry I don't text.. It is gateway to metro-sexualism,and before I know it I am useing product in my hair, wearing flip flop to church asking my friends if my ass is too big..lol..... it a slippery slope I avoid..
That was exactly what I said when I would not join facebook...:D

svlsmokey

Gonna go to the junk yard next week and see if they have clutch pedal assembly, master cylinder, etc. What years are compatible with my 1984?

ODdave

Says the guy that sends you a check with his name in the "pay to order of" line.............

Keith_J

The one question I still have after reading all the NV4500 swap threads is if the PTO governor will still function in the M1031 SECM.

The transfer case neutral switch would be easy to adjust, the transmission drive switch could be a bit more of a challenge.

svlsmokey

Found one online that is supposed to be out of an 89 Chevy but it's just the clutch pedal. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that the brake and clutch would be one assembly.

martindc1

I just watched one sell on ebay for close to $250. This was the clutch pedal assembly, an old rusty master cylinder, an old rusty slave cylinder and an old corroded and cracked clutch hose from a 85-87 pickup. I think you'd be better off looking in junk yards. As mentioned, the 1 tons and suburbans kept the square style through 91. Pay particular attention to square service style trucks as the sm465 was fairly common in those.

On the other hand I don't know why a later style clutch pedal assembly couldn't be made to work, but I also don't know how feasible it would be. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use the Advance Adapter bellhousing, you have the option of using mechanical clutch linkage and thus the 73-84 clutch pedal assembly. I suppose if you are motivated enough you could figure out how to adapt a mechanical clutch pedal assembly to the 85+ master cylinder.

But yes, as you mentioned, the hydro clutch and brake pedal assembly in the 85-87 trucks is all one assembly.

Last edited:

svlsmokey

I'm still collecting pieces for this conversion - I come across pedals every now and then but there is apparently a difference between the brakes and pedals on the CUCV's and other trucks which use the vacuum brake booster. Can anyone clarify exactly what I'm looking for?

ODdave

It has to do with the location and size of the pin that is on the brake pedal for the pushrod. I just removed the pin from the original CUCV pedal then drilled a new hole and welded it in the manual shift brake pedal.

southdave

It has to do with the location and size of the pin that is on the brake pedal for the pushrod. I just removed the pin from the original CUCV pedal then drilled a new hole and welded it in the manual shift brake pedal.
Crapp now yow mention that!!!!.. I got clutch pedal from an 89 4 speed hacked on it and was able to use the 94 master cylinder on the 1028.. belive it or not it was easier to get work right than the 85-87 clutch pedal with sm465.. if had to do it again I would Lakewood wildwood clutch pedal combo.. although,Kind of lame on 150hp POS army truck lol.. But it about the same price as the fleabay junk and less headaches.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-340-1290

Last edited:

M1008BOV

Dave, did you purchase this summit kit? I've looked at the pictures on their website and I'm not sure I understand how I would mount them in conjunction with the brake pedal that is already there.

Gran Degajeur

I hope to convert my 1008 to an NV4500. I have everything sorted out except the clutch pedal assembly. I found one out of a 95 Chevy 3500. I am getting the bell housing out of the same truck. I'm assuming that it will be an internal slave cylinder, which isn't my first choice, but I can live with it. Will the pedal setup work in my CUCV?

Thanks, and to those who served, thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks