• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

o-ring for combat wheel

groundog

:driver:need help---disassembled my 5 ton combat wheel to re-place tire---1400 x 20--the o-ring is shaped more like a fan belt---this wheel has the 20 outer bolts-----is this the right seal----it is definitely triangle shaped---thanks

KsM715

Most likely the original O-ring was round and it just comes out shaped like a triangle after being compressed between the rims for awhile.

Nonotagain

:driver:need help---disassembled my 5 ton combat wheel to re-place tire---1400 x 20--the o-ring is shaped more like a fan belt---this wheel has the 20 outer bolts-----is this the right seal----it is definitely triangle shaped---thanks
I know that some folks on SS will purchase the factory O-Ring for the wheels, I on the other hand choose to make my own.

www.mcmaster.com ,sells O-ring cord stock which will allow you to make custom length o-rings whenever you need one.

The material that I use is the silicone product, which has a temperature rating of -67F to +400F, which is equal to the factory o-ring material.

The best part is that the 1/4" diameter gland material is less than .80 cents per foot. McMaster-Carr

You can use "Crazy glue " or weather strip adhesive to join the ends together.

Last edited:

emr

it sure is alot of work just incase it does not seal, the O rings are round , after they get squashed they may look like a triangle but they start out round, they are 39$s at the tire store here, i have seen em real cheap on this site, i have some but they were pricy when i got em, there are 2 sizes also, a thin and thicker ,make sure u get the correct one,

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
They actually make 3 diff O rings. You can replace your O ring with a regular round one and you will be ok. I had 2 triangles and the rest round on my truck and they put all round o rings in and they hold up great. never ever re use one, it wont hold I promise. You can use Memphis, White Owl or Eriks in CA. -Jay

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to have several dozen NOS o-rings. There are 3 or 4 different ones (don't remember), one is definately triangular.

Westech

CPL
yes there is a triangular o ring as stated above. There rare as hens teeth. The round ones work as a replacements. When I use a round one in a triangular rim i use a thin coat of RTV black. I have one tire that I have done that way and I have not had to add air in almost 3 years.

groundog

:grd:thanks for all the replies---my first time to see a triangle one---found a tire dealer in town that has both small and large dia for 5 dollars each--a lot of work to remove bead lock in install in new tire---glad its all done--now to get the tire up in the bed of my truck---I want it for a spare