• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Obscure question, MEP-831A

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which ones are you seeing? The ones I see don't look like they'll fit the genset: they're all 12V

114362-77010 is the part number I searched for.

Also tried S114-414A, but all of those I've found are also 12V
Search for 240-14201
I bought a pair of them about a year ago. Already used 1 in one of my 831s. Works great.

My spare...
1709228888036.png

Last edited:

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure why that didn't come up for me. What search terms did you use?

NVM... I see it. Where did you get that particular number?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure why that didn't come up for me. What search terms did you use?

NVM... I see it. Where did you get that particular number?
It was about a year ago but the listing indicated may have indicated it was for an 831 or it listed the 831 starter number. I don't recall specifically.

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we are making progress!

Received my replacement starter/solenoid assembly from Ebay, and promptly set about removing the old one. It literally smelled like electric death once I got it out (VERY strong odor of the Magic Smoke (TM) that makes all electronics function)

(BTW, thanks to the members here who assisted, or offered to sell me one cheaper than Ebay).

I swapped in the new starter/solenoid, and hooked everything back up. I was able to attach the batteries... without a shower of sparks this time... and ran through some quick diagnostics, following the troubleshooting procedure in the manual.

Once I clicked the switch to start, I was actually able to get it to crank... though it wouldn't start.

And I noticed something else.

Note the diesel fuel leaking from the injector.

I put a paper towel there to soak it up... I assume it needs new seals around the injector? Or would you replace that whole assembly?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacement pumps are pretty cheap. The quick and easy solution is to replace it.

Also, there are no seals in the pump. It is precision machined. You can pull it apart and see if someone else has made some mischief in there.

Ray70

The part in question is the metering pump, not the injector, the other thing is that the gasket for the pump has nothing to do with fuel, it's for oil.
If you are leaking fuel at the metering pump it has to be coming from the pump itself or the line. It can not be leaking fuel from under the pump.
Any potential leak fuel leak in that area will leak fuel into the crankcase , it would not drip on the outside of the motor.
I would first check the lines, and the fitting on top of the pump.
Chances are something is either loose or damaged, but I'd locate the leak before buying a new pump.

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part in question is the metering pump, not the injector, the other thing is that the gasket for the pump has nothing to do with fuel, it's for oil.
If you are leaking fuel at the metering pump it has to be coming from the pump itself or the line. It can not be leaking fuel from under the pump.
Any potential leak fuel leak in that area will leak fuel into the crankcase , it would not drip on the outside of the motor.
I would first check the lines, and the fitting on top of the pump.
Chances are something is either loose or damaged, but I'd locate the leak before buying a new pump.
Interesting... explained like that, it makes perfect sense.

2Pbfeet

If you do remove the pump, I would make sure that on re-installation you get the pin on the pump back into the "U" shaped yoke to engage the governor. Lots of videos on how to do it available. You can see the yoke by loosening the nut below the pump and removing the small trapezoidal plate there. If someone has been into the engine before you, I think that it might be worth checking, after you locate the leak, which are often on the high pressure hard line fitting area. A little dirt or vibration can loosen the line/fitting enough to leak.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

2Pbfeet

Yeah... that was my thought too. Somebody has cranked on that before.

It's a cheap part. I'm probably better off just replacing it.
It's a cheap part, but fiddly, unless you buy the OEM, which is not that cheap. If it was me, I would first try tightening it, and then if that doesn't work, clean the outside, open the joint up and cleaning the surfaces with carb cleaner and trying again before buying another. I have a drawer of "almost" on specification cheap pumps that all leak somewhere just a little, just in case I absolutely need a pump in an emergency.

Last edited:

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK... more incremental progress. Removed the old injector:

Side-by-side with the new one:

And no leaks once installed!

Still won't start. It'll crank now, and no more fuel leaks... but will not start

Video:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your actuator isn't lifting off the magnet when you engage the starter!
By staying on the magnet fuel is prevented from being sent from the new metering pump to the injector.

1711988125877.png

It's cranking kind of slow. Maybe not enough voltage to cause the governor controller to pop the actuator off the magnet or maybe a bad governor controller or other issue causing it to not lift off.

Try manually lifting the arm off the magnet and then try starting it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks