• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD Iron AC

CCATLETT1984

Mike can you show a measuremet of how far rear of the alt the compressor sits, I think that the kit would clear on a truck that had the 6.5L turbo setup on it, and possibly the later style 6.2L Banks kit.

taylordc15

Well I got the kit. After looking it over I decided I didn't have the experience or tools and since my M1009 is my daily driver I couldn't afford to have it dead lined for weeks. I took it to an A/C shop and they quoted me $1000 and two days to install. After about a week they call me to tell me it is a lot harder than they thought and its going to take a little more labor than originally quoted. after two weeks they call me and tell me the condenser has a pin hole leak. Mike took care of me, I emailed him and the next day I get a call saying the new one is going out along with prepayed postage to send the defective part back. Finally after a little over three weeks I picked it up.

I have only driven it home but here are my first impressions,
It blows really well on the passenger side but by the time it makes it to the drivers side its a little weak, If I am alone and close the passenger vents its much better. Not as good as what I am used to in my other vehicle but a whole lot better than no A/C at all. It is loud but that just makes it fit in with a CUCV.

Was it worth the money? If I had it to do over again I would still get it but I would have put it in myself. I figure even I could have gotten it done in the three weeks they had my truck. It is going back for some adjustments, they did not do the drain properly and it leaks allover the passenger side floor, they also managed to move my speedo cable onto the exhaust so it melted, waiting for them to get a new cable in.

As a side note I had a grey dash and while it was out painted it with SEM burgandy, not an exact match but !00% better than it was, also if they dont have SEM order it Duplicolor is no where near the right color, ask me how I know.

Attachments

sermis

Man I can't see it taking 3 weeks and $1,000 to install. I can see it taking a day or two.
I have never put AC in a CUCV but I did put AC in My CJ5 and my M725. Both are under dash mounted so I did not run duct in the dash.
It looks like the parts in the kit are bolt on. Cut or drill a few holes, hook up the lines, run wires, vac system, charge, and enjoy.

CCATLETT1984

That will not fit if you have the early style banks setup (sits in the same spot as the turbo). The GM 6.5 setup "might" work, but I'm pretty sure even the late style banks kit would interfere will the compressor.