• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD Iron wheels mounted with 14.50s...

DanMartin

Hey all,

At last I have the tires/wheels on the deuce.

Here's some pics:
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/dantheman29a/Tires/?albumview=grid

Just thought you'd all like to see what Mike's wheels look like in Tan. Note the non-flipped hubs with the nearly perfect tracking front-to-rear. Very well engineered wheels.

If you like these wheels, give Mike a shout at OD Iron...he'll hook you up.

Oh, and yes, I know one of the rear tires is mounted backwards on the wheel...will fix that at the tire shop in a few days...minor issue. And I'll be shooting some paint on the wheels/lug nuts to clean them up.

...and that is an OD Iron muffler, and yes it quiets the idle down good, but still roars on the highway. You'll still need ear protection.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Dan, looking clean and well proportioned, and certainly more stable than the A3 version!
And yes, the 14.5s are the perfect match for those 11x20” wheels and IMHO the ideal size for the Deuce.
Seems you are the first one to take advantage of that “reversible” wheel feature!?

Would like to know the exact track width measurement (center to center of tread), front and rears, or just how much track difference there is between front and rear tires.

Gerhard

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truly righteous looking. What is the cost of a wheel? Is the center section flat or dished?
Is the offset of the wheels the same front and rear? That is can they be switched?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
steelsoldiers said:
Photobucket is incredibly slow on my computer. Could you please post a few here? Thanks.
Before you and others get to impacient..., here just a few.
Hope the owner doesn't mind...!?

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks!! They look great. Are the studs a little short on the rear, Dan? Are you running BB's or Equal or some other balancing agent?

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, thanks G.
Questions answered. I am just getting around on this site, it is all a learning experience for me. I just drove the things in Nam. Now I have to work on them.
I see the valve stem has been relocated from the original location. The wheels will be one of the 1st improvements on my list. Then perhaps the oil filter ADP for spin ons.

DanMartin

Thanks guys! Thanks for posting some of the pics too. Not sure why some of you can't get to photobucket, but oh well. Note that the ones on Photobucket are super high rez if you really want to zoom in and get a close look.

I'll get a closer snap of the rear studs, but they are fine (same length as the fronts...plenty of thread left). I am using "front" lug nuts all the way around (NAPA, about $3.00 each new). Trust me, they are fine.

Note that the valvestems didn't come from OD Iron...they were installed at the tire shop. However, the location is a great design feature of the wheels that Mike did.

I'll get some track width measurements soon for you Gringeltaube (it's raining right now...don't want to get wet).

I am very satisfied with the quality of the wheels that Mike made. They are heavy duty, 1 piece, and exactly the right size and offset!

tamangel

Thanks guys! Thanks for posting some of the pics too. Not sure why some of you can't get to photobucket, but oh well. Note that the ones on Photobucket are super high rez if you really want to zoom in and get a close look.
Maybe some folks have a 'dial-up' connection instead of DSL or cable internet?
Photos take a llloonnnnggg time to download otherwise..

Mike

tiger422

Is it possible to run 14.5 R 20 tires on stock wheel?
Does rear axle spacing have to be changed?
I am new to the deuce and checking out all up grades bigger tires look very good and I bet they will work well off road.
Your truck looks great :D

DanMartin

Thanks Tiger.

I would not recommend running these 14.50R20 tires on a stock rim. The manufacturer (Michelin) recommends at least a 11" wheel for these tires (some people have managed to get them on stock rims, but IMO they look goofy and probably are not safe). These wheels are 11" wide. Here's the data sheet for the XL tires: http://www.tirecraft.com/commercial/MichXLspecs.htm. Note that you can use 11R20 tires on stock rims (in fact, they are the same height (almost) as the 14.50R20s. I've seen one really good looking project that Readyman did where 14.50R20s were used up front, and then dual 11R20s out back (see this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15406). Great looking truck, and something I wanted to do but could not get the 11R20s anywhere. :(

No changes to the truck required for this set-up. I just bolted them on. Remember that the 14.50R20 Michelin XL is the stock tire on the M35A3, so these tires fit very well. The wheels are designed in such a way that no changes are needed to the truck to use them (no need to flip the hubs, but if you do flip them they will also work).

DanMartin

steelsoldiers said:
Thanks!! They look great. Are the studs a little short on the rear, Dan? Are you running BB's or Equal or some other balancing agent?
Chris,

Just weights inside the wheels (glued) to the inside and banded...got it very close. Had the wheels balanced first before the rubber went on. I'm going to try these out at speed and if we need more I will go with beads.

I've had it out a few times and it feels pretty good...will report on the balancing once I make a final decision.

DanMartin

I could measure them...they are thicker for sure. Note that the front lugs look from the pics like they are too short, but I can say for certain that the lug nuts are all the way down the stud, and all threads are making contact (with a few to spare).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks