• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD Iron wheels mounted with 14.50s...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the new pic, Dan. Plenty of stud there. It just looked funny in the one pic above. Must have been the contrast between the new nut and the stud.

As far as photobucket goes, I have cable net, but my old machine here at the house is slow as heck with all of the scripting.

DanMartin

Wow...that's a great diagram Gringeltaube!

I think you should pull those other diagrams from the other posting and get a sticky going....lots of great info that needs to be corralled together for ease of use.

devilman96

Wow they look great in Tan!!! Bout time ya got those babys mounted and under the beast!!!

Guys I need to point out that though I build these it was Gringeltaube that designed them... I took something that he had been working out for some time and with a few changes adapted them to the current design you see on Dan's truck. (with G's permission of course)

G is an artist with MS paint and his years of experiance of messing around with trucks very much shows in these wheels!!!

DanMartin

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I get busy sometimes and the Deuce has to wait....sad but true.

I had no idea that Gringeltaube was involved in the design! Coolness! Well, I am very happy with how they turned out...great work both of you. I love the look.

I'm going to try to shoot some more paint on the wheels to clean up some of the scratches from the install...I'll snap a few more pics and upload them.

I'm trying to get this truck into the August show in Portland...if you're going to be there, you can see these wheels in person.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
devilman96 said:
I took something that he had been working out for some time and with a few changes adapted them to the current design you see on Dan's truck. (with G's permission of course)
So......, don't you think that full credit should go to the one capable of transforming an idea (which wasn’t so new BTW) into tangible reality, something of practical use for many of us...? I’m the one to say: thank you, Mike!
And thanks to all others who also contributed with all kind of practical upgrades for our preferred “old” toys. …..At this moment specially thinking of member builder77 who might be smiling at us, already sitting behind the wheel of his brand new angel-powered Deuce…

The end result is what counts and besides some esthetic considerations (of the center disk) this is THE wheel to mount and take advantage of Uncle Sam’s cheap surplus 14.5 XLs.
These and the XZL successors with their equivalent metric size 365/80R20 as well as Conti’s MPT80 and MPT81 among others, are typical Unimog tires, also widely used for medium sized all-terrain fire trucks and tactical and rescue vehicles mainly in Europe. In my opinion the best tire-type to fit under a deuce by far: tubeless, extremely flexible sidewall, extra strong bead section, suitable for ultra-low air pressure operation without the need of special bead locking devices. Only drawback: new tires cost big $$$....! (check out Conti tire prices here: http://shortlinks.net/hra121)
Its designation MPT (= Multi Purpose Tire) indicates their special construction and unique shape of the bead area, thus the need for special MPT rims like the ones being discussed. Once again, MPT tires are NOT to be mounted on std. rims! This goes out to the ones that put 12.5s in place of 9.00x20: if you prefer to stick with the relative small sized 12.5s (or cannot find/afford a set of 14.5s) keep in mind that the recommended wheel size is the same: 20x11”, obviously to be run as singles. (see plenty of tech info here: http://shortlinks.net/lxk357)

Time to return to our green nuts and bolts now!

Gerhard

CliffW

DanMartin said:
steelsoldiers said:
Thanks!! They look great. Are the studs a little short on the rear, Dan? Are you running BB's or Equal or some other balancing agent?
Chris,

Just weights inside the wheels (glued) to the inside and banded...got it very close. Had the wheels balanced first before the rubber went on. I'm going to try these out at speed and if we need more I will go with beads.

I've had it out a few times and it feels pretty good...will report on the balancing once I make a final decision.
What he is talking about is look at the picture the studs are not sticking out past the lug nut. That is not very safe, also you need to balance them after the tire is on will not work on just the rim. to balance big tires like this you can use sand, dyna beeds, antifreeze ect. Inside the tire.

BTW they look good, I got a set from mike they are getting powder coated Hope to have the on this week.

Attachments

DanMartin

Cliff, look at my newer pics...plenty of room on the studs.

Also, I had the wheels balanced because standard weights won't work on these wheels (or so they said), so I got the wheels balanced and will see how off the tires are. If they give me grief I will go with beads.

CliffW

I see in the new pic that the stud comes all the way out. In the other pic it looks like it is to short. Like I said before looks good.. Can't wait to get mine on...

CliffW

tiger422 said:
gringeltaube said:
tiger422 said:
Is it possible to run 14.5 R 20 tires on stock wheel?
Besides insufficient rim width the real reason why you shouldn't do that is explained here: http://shortlinks.net/ptn085

G.
Thanks I guess I will look for 1100s :(
Save my money up and do it right.
Get with devilman96 he is the one making up the rims and he has the tires on hand. :D