• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd M1009 Charging issue

aebiv

So, I just picked up my 47k mile M1009 the other day, and everything had been working wonderfully. I bought it straight from auction, so there was no foolery from private parties on the wiring of the rig. The charge indicator always sat well into the green, the batteries were strong and started the truck up right away.

Well, I noticed people had said on here, that if the Gen2 light didn't come on, that the alt wasn't actually charging, so I made a quick trip to NAPA, picked up the bulb, and put it in.

Turned the key, bulb lit up, I smiled, and then I went about my day. Now however, on starting the truck again, the bulb does not illuminate (checked the new bulb, it is fine) my charging gauge sits right in the middle of yellow and green, and when I run the blinker it ticks over to red with every blink. When I turn the headlights on, they turn on nice and bright, but the rest of the gauges die like I turned the truck off.

However, it doesn't move (the gauge) when I apply the brake lights, or turn the heater fan on.

I tested Gen1, and it is putting out a healthy 14.7 volts, and if I did it right, Gen 2 is putting out 27.8.

So am I looking at a short? I've done some reading on here, and although my problem isn't totally unique, I couldn't find anything exactly on it.

Thank you!

aebiv

Batteries combined are at 27.4, sorry both are putting out normal 12v.

Grounds look clean and gorgeous on the batteries, it was one of the first things I checked.

aebiv

Well, after pulling the dash apart and replacing the two standard relays under the dash, cleaning the contacts on the circuit board and stuff, it started... Took awhile of cranking (unusual), but she started up and ran...

However, while it was running, I heard (what I believe) to be an electrical solinoid/relay clicking on and off in the cab, and could hear it slightly from the engine bay. Also, when I flipped the headlights on it was still doing its old trick.

Why after a few days of driving just fine, I replace one simple bulb and everything goes to ****? lol

Buckmaw

I wish you luck dude...

I will add that my GEN2 light has NEVER come one even after bulb replacement and cleaning the contacts...

I would suggest changing the charging relays for GEN1 and GEN2. These are located under the dash next to the starter relay.

Pull one out and take it with you to the parts house. Mine were like $5 ea.

aebiv

I replaced both of those already actually, figured for that cheap there was no harm in eliminating that from the issue.

Note, I'm not worried persay about the cost of this repair, I just want it to be reliable.

Does anyone suggest switching the alts around?

aebiv

I'll be doing the upgraded/heavy duty starter relay replacement anyway tomorrow, since that isn't an issue I want to have down the road.

If the Gen2 isn't working, the resulting voltage from it would only be 14.7v supplied by Gen1 right?

aebiv

After replacing the start relay, it still wouldn't start. Ended up not getting the 12v at the signal wire. However, the other day it started after not starting for awhile so I believe it to be an issue with a relay.

The clicking when running comes from a silver relay/solinoid on the firewall on the drive side. It appears to have a feed wire coming to it from the batteries. Any idea what this is? Is this something I can find a replacement for at NAPA? Could it be the source of my problems?

Attachments

Last edited:

aebiv

Well, I pulled Gen2, and took it to my local rebuilder and he said it was DOA. I'll have it back within 24 hours.

I'm still skeptical that just the alternator was the cause of all these problems. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

SPECIALTYLC

The # 2 alt is what charges the #1 and 2 battery. the #1 alt has no effect on # 2 battery. At least thats what the wiring diagram shows. So if the #2 alt craps out the #1 alt will charge the front battery and this will supply power to all the trucks 12 volt system. But it will leave the rear battery dead and then you wont have your 24 volt for starting.

Last edited:

aebiv

The # 2 alt is what charges the #1 and 2 battery. the #1 alt has no effect on # 2 battery. At least thats what the wiring diagram shows. So if the #2 alt craps out the #1 alt will charge the front battery and this will supply power to all the trucks 12 volt system. But it will leave the rear battery dead and then you wont have your 24 volt for starting.
So would that cause the issues I've described at the start of the thread? Also now that the ignition switch is not sending the 12v signal to the starter relay.

Thank you!

southdave

AS B.C. says I feel your pain. These thing where glorified turds in the military, at least my experince. The town I live in is flush with retire military I have no problems finding offers of help with M-35 but with CCUCV they ask what was thinking buying that??? " I hate those Dammed things been response from two retired Mech. apparently they consumed alot of time and energy working on CCUCV