• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

odd steering noise

galeo7171

When I'm sitting still or a low speeds, I hear a knock under the floorboard when I turn the steering wheel left and right. It feels like a bump under the floor. I checked and the frame where the steering box is not cracked. What else will cause this bump when I move the steering wheel?

ssgtwright-usmc

Could you please be more specific! You did not mention what type of vehicle you are having problems with.
Far as I know you have a Sherman Tank or a LST.
Please be more specific about your vehicle!!!

ssgtwright-usmc

OK, has your M1009 been worked on lately, like a lift kit, New tires, over sized tires?
When is the noise the worst, Like going so much MPHs around turns and ect..
Does the vehicle vibrate at certain speeds?
The more detailed you are in describing the quicker you will get an answer back.
List everything that you know including when it started happening to you!

ssgtwright-usmc

Well, I tried doing a search here for you in the forums but all I got was (King Pins and over sized tires)!
We can at least rule out one thing, you must have the correct ignition key because its not interfering with your steering shaft. Just a bad joke their with the key.
You did say at first you hear the noise under the floor board and then you said you hear it on the firewall where the shaft enters into the vehicle.
That is suggesting 2 noise locations.
Im sure you will get an answer sometime soon. Hate to see you driving and lose control due to a loose nut.
One thing I would do is have someone with you and with the engine running, have that person turn the wheel right and left while you watch the steering gear box. If the box moves, tighten down all 4 bolts.

EZFEED

I seem to recall in my 4X4 days that these older Chevy/GM frames were weak around the steering box and were prone to cracking. I only ran 70's Fords so I dont have any first hand experience with this but my buddies had Blazers and Cheyenne pickups and I seem to recall that the precurser to failure was a clunk-clunk when you hit a bump or made any sort of turn other than merging.

Your trouble could be anything from a bad UV joint in the steeing shaft (if you have tilt), a tie rod end, pitman arm bushing, a loose hub, out of adjustment bump stop, etc. You need to have someone turn your wheels while you look under the truck. There's nothing much to steering and there are very little real surprise problems that can occur so I'm sure its something fairly simple.

ssgtwright-usmc

EZFEED, you are 100% correct about the frame cracking at where the steering box bolts at.
I had that same problem about 2 months ago.
The thing I found on the subject was that there is stress at the frame because of the length and also due to the short steering shaft causes a stress point.
The problem gets multiplied when the vehicle is lifted along with those stupid monstor tires that some people like to use.
EZFEED is right about what problems you could or may have.

EZFEED

galeo7171 said:
I checked and the frame where the steering box is not cracked.
SsgtWright, I think so too and I think it could still be the cause even though he stated the above. Sometimes that crack(s) arent as visually tell tale as folks may seem and allot of times it is the steering box that is holding the cracked rail together. Keep the wheels straight and dont put it through the twisties too much and you'll never see it, make some slow turns or just rock the steering back and forth to the extremes and you'll feel/hear it. You just have to be under there watching it while you move it. Sometimes the bolts crack too or they are loose and the whole things kinda cocks back and forth on the frame and makes noise. Things can get funky but nothing really serious unless you let it go too far.

I'd be checking the hubs first if it were me. 2cents
Jack each wheel up under the control arm and give them a good shake and see if you have excessive slop. You want to catch it under the axle and not the frame so your linkages stay unbound and at normal angles. I'm just saying cause I know some folks lift from the frame and expect to get the same readings with the wheel hanging down and the steering linkages at their extremes.

mangus580

Re: RE: odd steering noise

ssgtwright-usmc said:
Could you please be more specific! You did not mention what type of vehicle you are having problems with.
Far as I know you have a Sherman Tank or a LST.
Please be more specific about your vehicle!!!

I'll bet dollars to donuts its a CUCV, since this is posted in the CUCV forum!!!

ssgtwright-usmc

RE: Re: RE: odd steering noise

Sorry Magnus but I dont always go to the CUCV forum. I usually stay on the opening page to see what new topics are being discussed.
I do that so I can learn more about the other MVs when topics are posted or learn more about general discussion topics.
Magnus, was I wrong in asking the person to be more specific in his post describing if he has had any mods performed lately and when did it start happening?
I figured it was a CUCV since its mostly talked about on steering.
The only thing I was trying to point out to this person he needs to be more specific on the problems he is having so that someone here could have a better idea to help him.
Seems like I am always offending you for some reason and Im sorry.
Guess I could have said to him he has the wrong key and the key blank should be (B)!!!!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you hold your pointer over the thread title on the main page, for a couple seconds, it will open a little expanded bar that will have the complete title and the forum that it is in.

ssgtwright-usmc

And by the way Magnus, you are here, I see you talking about my posting, what are you doing to answer this persons question on steering? All I see is that you are here to questions people answers.
What is your answer to this persons question??????????

ssgtwright-usmc

I tell you all what, lets gets a thread going on (The Dos, the Donts and how to navigate) forum!!!!
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!!!
No matter what I do guess I will always be behind the 8 ball!
New Members, watch out!!!!!
Dont post anything till a new rule comes up about on how to read a post, how to reply to a post and ect....
And PLEASE never ask about a KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Whine blocker, energised!

mangus580

SSG, what does any of this crap have to do with the problem??

galeo, start with the basics. Have someone turn the wheel for you, while you crawl around trying to pinpoint the location of the noise. Most common places for it to come from are gonna be this...

Bad Ball Joints
Bad Tie rod ends
loose steering box
possibly a loose wheel

When you come up with a better location of the sound, report back.

devilman96

Clozapine, Risperidone, Aripiprazole, Quetiapine, Haldol, or my personal favorite Thorazine!!!

I don’t think they will fix the noisy bumping sounds in a CUCV but they will darn sure fix the ones in here so we can get back to the CUCV's!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I had a Ford F250 that had a clunk for the entire time I owned it and I never found out what it was nor did it ever cause any problems but it irritated the heck out of me.

ssgtwright-usmc

mangus580
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: odd steering noise Posted: Oct 07, 2008 - 03:30 AM

Steel Soldiers Support Staff

SSG, what does any of this crap have to do with the problem??

galeo, start with the basics. Have someone turn the wheel for you, while you crawl around trying to pinpoint the location of the noise. Most common places for it to come from are gonna be this...

Bad Ball Joints
Bad Tie rod ends
loose steering box
possibly a loose wheel

When you come up with a better location of the sound, report back.
You are right magnus, I am wrong like always. What is the fix to this persons problem? I only asked him to better describe the symbtoms and look for one thing that I DO know of being a problem.
Could have said replace each peice of the steering but then that does cost money and then why ask a question if the steering has been replaced thru and thru?
We are here to help each other, give each other ideas so we can save money.
If we were out to spend money for parts and repairs that we dont need then why be here and try to help each other?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks