• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

odiron Coolant Filter Kit

dabtl

I changed out the filter today. Originally, it came with the Wix 24070 filter. I have switched to the Wix 24071 WITH diesel engine additives. It gives the additives automatically as the engine runs. It is also shorter and fits the space better.

As I suspected the original filter was doing its job well, but as the coolant had never been filtered before a lot of silt was trapped.

Putting in the new filter after checking the anti-freeze starts off another year of maintenance.
If you have not installed this, it is a really good idea to do so.

dabtl

When we get a deuce from GL they have not had peventive maintenance in a long time for the most part. Oil, coolant and such have been neglected.

Currently, I am at war with rust in the fuel supply and silt in the coolant. If we eliminate both, we have gone a long way to keeping the old iron running, in my opinion.

It does not cost to preserve the multifuel, it saves money.

DanMartin

I filter the coolant on my 06 F350 diesel. I put the filter on before the truck had 1000 miles. After about 4000, I changed the filter and cut it open...3-4 tablespoons of black casting sand in the bottom of the filter! (I had a pic, but can't find it now).

Those things really work guys...and there is a reason.

dabtl

I agree Dan. For the most part we simply have not considered this in the past. But, these deuces are getting on in years and things happen.

I really believe if we eliminate dry starts, clean the fuel properly and filter the silt from the coolant these engines will last much longer.

I hope.

dabtl

I am certain that over the decades of engine life anti-freeze has decayed, as well as any of the SCA that might have been added. It wears out, is replaced and the cycle begins anew.

I have tried flushing the system. That works to an extent. But on a day to day effort the filter system will continue removing the decayed matter. It will catch what is decaying as well as the residue left over from 30 years of use.

This is, at least, why I put the filter system in place.

1956_4x4

Most of the coolant filters that I replace are mounted lower than what you have here. If you install the filter in a lower location, remember to install shut-off valves in the inlet and outlet lines. It will cut down on coolant loss and a big mess when changing the filters.

Smitty

dabtl

I have put a cutoff valve in both. The early install lasted a year. No matter how many miles I put on it, I planned to change it after one year. Glad I did, by the way.

But, yes put a shutoff valve in the intake line to avoid loosing anti-freeze and making a large mess.

The instructions that come with the kit advise placing the filter below the top tank of the radiator. On the M35, that location is most convenient over the headlight body. I could have mounted it much lower, but I went for the easy install.

t120r

cool filter kit. i put one on couple of years ago. wow what a lot of rust it trapped. seems the coolant is clean plus the filters have a chemical ball that dssolves to keep the ph up

t120r
md.

dabtl

I really think that we need to be more careful about maintaining these engines. Longevity is not just a matter of luck. Both of mine have had some PM, not recently, but some. But, with the coolant filter, better fuel filters without rust, better oil filters and such it is possible to overcome the lack of PM.

I do not think a long lasting engine, multi-fuel or not, is a matter of luck.

m109guy

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
the filters from napa that have the additive in them are numbered as follows,
P/N 4070 - 0 units of DCA charge
P/N 4071 - 4 units of DCA charge
P/N 4072 - 6 units of DCA charge
P/N 4073 - 8 units of DCA charge
P/N 4074 - 12 units of DCA charge
i found this online. does anyone know if the multi needs any of the additive at all?? if so how much?? also i searched napa online for the filters and it wont give a price. does anyone know how much the charged filters go for?? i would like to add this setup to my deuces, and also with an 8 charged filter on my 7.3 ford powerstroke which requires the approximate 8 units.

dabtl

That kit is actually not put together by OD Iron. If you go to NAPA and order part #4019, it comes with the filter base, fittings, bolts/washers/nuts and sealant. It is the exact same kit, and it only cost me $35.
I found the kit to be not specifically for the multi-fuel engine in that it did not have the proper fittings for the engine block. This was easily overcome at the hardware store, of course, but it was still not specific for the multi.

Buying it from NAPA on a generic number for resale explains why I suppose.

However, everyone should put one on their truck, in my opinion, not matter what the source.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks