• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OEM Deuce Batteries

saddamsnightmare

January 8th, 2010.

East Penn Mfg Co. makes DEKA batteries for the M35A2 that are "Ordnance" type batteries, they are alternate to the Exides Uncle is currently issueing and will not let us buy them. They run about $150 or so and it takes two. The Ordnance type batteries can accept fording conditions, but I would suggest covering the battery cable clamps with either battery terminal paint or gasket shellac before immersing.
Also the Ordnance batteries are designed to take serious punishments before they fail, and either battery can crank the truck for about 4 hours when new (roughly rated for full cranking loads for about 240-260 minutes), but extreme cold and heat, or extended periods of sitting unused will affect them adversely.
Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Last edited:

kc5mzd

If you do have 2 24volt batteries I would try to take good care of them. There is a way you can charge them with 2 regular car batteries and chargers but you have to be very careful.
You need to start with 2 fully charged 12v car batteries. Hook them up in series the + of one battery to the - of the other battery.
You would then hook the battery chargers one to each car battery just like normal. Then you would have to take a set of jumper cables and hook the 2 car batteries to the single 24v battery.

Hook the 12v car batteries up first and charge them. Then hook up the jumper cables. There may be a small spark. If there is a large spark you should immediately disconnect them and re check everything. Make sure none of the batteries or wires start to get hot.

+12v bat-***+12v bat-

*****+24vBat-*****

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I wanted a set of the stock batteries untill I priced them. $169 a piece for Deka 6TLs from my local battery store :shock:. Decided to go with a set of 1100 CCA "regular" truck batteries which was $129 for the set.

I'd like to have a set of stock batteries but not for almost 3 times the price.

GammaGoatGuy

Got some pictures of the batteries. The picture of the info on the side is hard to read, but it says:

BATTERY, STORAGE
BB693A/U
NSN 6140-01-072-3123
SAFT AMERICA INC
DDAB07-90-C-C033
11 90
24 V / 30 AH / 1 HR / 80°F / 18 V
CHARGE @ 28.5 VOLTS FOR 4 HOURS
OR FOR 15 AMPS FOR 3 HRS
MAX FILLED WT 83.0 LBS
US

The label next to the value on top says:

KEEP THIS VALVE
OPEN
EXCEPT WHEN
BATTERY MAY
BE IMMERSED
OPEN_/

Now I own 2 of these 24 volt batteries that I have installed in my deuce and a half military truck.

Also spoke to the previous owner who said he bought them at a military surplus auction which they came out of a Vulcan Missile Truck.

He said the army paid $1,500 for each one.

Turns out the BB-693A/U is a 24 Volt Nickel-Cadmium Battery, even found the TM online: http://www.tpub.com/content/batteries/TM-11-6140-203-14-4-P/index.htm

Attachments

GammaGoatGuy

If you do have 2 24volt batteries I would try to take good care of them. There is a way you can charge them with 2 regular car batteries and chargers but you have to be very careful.
You need to start with 2 fully charged 12v car batteries. Hook them up in series the + of one battery to the - of the other battery.
You would then hook the battery chargers one to each car battery just like normal. Then you would have to take a set of jumper cables and hook the 2 car batteries to the single 24v battery.

Hook the 12v car batteries up first and charge them. Then hook up the jumper cables. There may be a small spark. If there is a large spark you should immediately disconnect them and re check everything. Make sure none of the batteries or wires start to get hot.

+12v bat-***+12v bat-

*****+24vBat-*****
Thanks for that as when I was backing up the other day my friend saw sparks come out near the rear of the vehicle and I found some wires that the insulation had been rubbed off and I think they might have shorted to the frame. Now the truck won’t start and the batteries are reading 7.5 volts. Was trying to finding a 24 volt charger. Taped up the wires, hopefully that was the only problem. Don’t know if it blew a fuse. Where are the fuses on this thing anyway?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only one fuse(fuel pump/cover) and one circuit breaker, self resetting(firewall near the steering column).

Hopefully, your short drained your batteries and fixing that and charging them will resolve your issues.

Your battery set up is unconvention(not normal). When in the service, these trucks used 2 12 volt batteries(in series) like the one I posted a picture of.

I don't see any connections in your pictures. I assume your batteries are indeed connected in paralell. The truck does need 24-28 volts supplied.

Snarky

****! Your truck goes 88 MPH?
I want mine to go tat fast too. Then I can use the 1.2 giga watts in my flux capacitor.
LOL
If your 1.2 gigawatt flux capacitor requires that you reach 88 miles per hour you might want to consider a faster vehicle than the deuce. Maybe if you added 2 more 24v batteries you can upgrade to the 2.4 gigawatt flux capacitor, where you only need to reach 44mph. The deuce will do 44 all day long.

Where are you guys getting your plutonium?

Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a Deuce and a half?

The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a truck, why not do it with some style?

stumps

Turns out the BB-693A/U is a 24 Volt Nickel-Cadmium Battery, even found the TM online: TM-11-6140-203-14-4-P Nickel-Cadmium Battery BB-693A/U Manual
BB693's are not compatible with an automotive battery charging system!

Nicad's don't like being charged with a constant voltage charger, and that is what your alternator is.

Read the pub. It says that in order to charge the batteries with a constant voltage charger, you must carefully set the charger's voltage to the correct voltage for the battery temperature, and keep the charger's current below the maximum charge current for the battery. Your deuce cannot do this!

At best, these batteries will be ruined by your deuce's electrical system, at worst they will damage your alternator, or blow up.

Get some group 31's, or 27's and replace these bombs before they go off.

-Chuck

tsstout

sooo... Now shouldn't some of you "know it all's" appologize... for the noob knowing what he's talking about and you NOT!! because all I ever see is the same "smarter than the rest" people shoving crap at new posters.... occasionally I would like to see withdrawls.... Because actually the a$$hole attitudes are a real turn off.... and prevent the group from benefitting... yes some topics are repeats... so what.... don't read them.....

stuff changes... so repeat discussions can offer new info... except reading around all the bad mouthing.... that's what is boring about the repeats.... not the topic itself.....

jmho..... Terry

stumps

sooo... Now shouldn't some of you "know it all's" appologize... for the noob knowing what he's talking about and you NOT!! because all I ever see is the same "smarter than the rest" people shoving crap at new posters.... occasionally I would like to see withdrawls.... Because actually the a$$hole attitudes are a real turn off.... and prevent the group from benefitting... yes some topics are repeats... so what.... don't read them.....

stuff changes... so repeat discussions can offer new info... except reading around all the bad mouthing.... that's what is boring about the repeats.... not the topic itself.....

jmho..... Terry
I hope you feel better!

The advice he was given was correct. The 24V batteries in his deuce are not compatible with his electrical system, and should be removed ASAP.

-Chuck

jimm1009

Replacement batteries

You can go to autozone and buy two group 60 batteries for about $80.00 each and they have more cranking power than those military units and last four times as long.
Unless you need them for a show vehicle, i would not recommend buying them due to price and longevity.

Just my 1.7 cents worth.

Jimm1009

tsstout

I hope you feel better!

The advice he was given was correct. The 24V batteries in his deuce are not compatible with his electrical system, and should be removed ASAP.

-Chuck

Well... I was not referencing the technical information... or your post for that matter... My post just ended up after yours.... It wasn't even there when I started typing....

I would very much appreciate NOT having to read peoples needless posts on each repeat topic.... I mean get real...

GammaGoatGuy

BB693's are not compatible with an automotive battery charging system!

Nicad's don't like being charged with a constant voltage charger, and that is what your alternator is.

Read the pub. It says that in order to charge the batteries with a constant voltage charger, you must carefully set the charger's voltage to the correct voltage for the battery temperature, and keep the charger's current below the maximum charge current for the battery. Your deuce cannot do this!

At best, these batteries will be ruined by your deuce's electrical system, at worst they will damage your alternator, or blow up.

Get some group 31's, or 27's and replace these bombs before they go off.

-Chuck
Whoa, that doesn't sound good. Thanks for the info.

That's kinda odd though, after all what good is a battery if it has to be charger by a battery charger.

stumps

Whoa, that doesn't sound good. Thanks for the info.

That's kinda odd though, after all what good is a battery if it has to be charger by a battery charger.
Perfectly useful, just not necessarily as a starter battery in a deuce. I am certain that the BB693A/U makes good sense in the application it was built to service.

Given a fancier regulator on the deuce alternator that was set for the correct voltage, and could follow the correct temperature curves needed for the battery, it would be fine... but as far as I am aware, that doesn't exist in the garden variety deuce.

-Chuck

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are aircraft batterys, or possibly from a ground start turbine. They are totally incompatable with the deuce. I would consider it lucky they have not had a thermal runaway or damaged the truck yet. Personally I would not attempt to start the truck with them in it again. Something very bad will happen sooner or later. NICADs are safe if used right with the correct equipment.

TaylorTradingCo

Those Hawker batteries are much heavier than the 6TL's. I can pick up a battery box of 6TL's, but I have to get help to do two Hawkers. But the only set of good factory batteries I have left are the Hawkers. Coincidence, maybe, maybe not.

Derek Taylor

deuceman51

We love the hawkers in the NG and that is all we put in our trucks now. They do fail, but they seem to outperform the 6tls. They are also a lead acid battery but are a sealed unit with anti-glass material AGM that will self seal if the battery is punctured.

stumps

These are definitely not lead acid batteries! They are NiCAD, and are not compatible with the truck's charging system.

NiCAD's are typically used in aircraft because they have higher surge current capacity, and are lighter weight than an equivalent lead acid battery. But, they require a special charging system that charges with constant current, not constant voltage. Completely different animals than lead acid.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks