• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off-roading the HEMTT

dk8019

So we've been getting good use out of our M977 around the farm, and the new M989A1 trailer was brand new, and was delivered successfully. I had to drag it up the mountain over terrain that the HEMTT was made for, but on the run up to one of the hard sections I bounced the crane pretty hard. The proximity sensor on the crane did not survive.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

This is seems to be a design flaw in need of rectification. I've bought a new sensor and some nice rubber 4" bumpers that I'll attach to the boom to hopefully prevent this in the future. Just a note to all those who might use these beast.

Jeepsinker

You could also add a small harbor freight winch and weld a tab onto the crane to cinch it down tight when not in use. That would be ideal in concert with your rubber bumpers.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe.... I have 5 pallets of bug truck stuff of which I have no idea what it goes to--- I mentioned the sensors because I remember seeing something identical to whats in the pics on one of my expeditions into the parts shed.......

Z

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I came here for offroad pictures of a HEMTT, but instead found that some things on it are easily broken. I have been disappointed. :p

JDToumanian

With the crane hook clipped to the frame in the stowed position, I use the 'hoist - up' control to put just a tiny bit of tension on the cable and have not noticed bouncing anymore. Before doing that, my crane would bounce, even on small pavement irregularities like freeway bridges and expansion joints.

As for the proximity sensor... What does it do? I've seen it on my crane, but I do not yet fully understand the electrical workings of it.

Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks