• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2010 SS Ga Rally Info thread

Blythewoodjoe

Since I just happen to be home in the middle of the day for a few minutes, let me share a few more thoughts.

First off, it appears we have a great relationship with the folks at Durahmtown. That's always a plus. Second, this is not anybodies fault involved with the rally. We should look at this as having a few things removed from the buffet, not as getting kicked out of the restaurant. If can put a man on the moon, we can come up with other fun things to do.

I tend to try and find the good in every bump in the road. I haven't always been that way, but we all mature I hope. Anyway in my mind the rally started out as a good steak in Clint's back yard and maybe this little bump will get us back to our roots a little bit.

At any rate, we need to find out exactly what restrictions the hunters will impose on our party. We need very specific wishes. I would expect the noise and traffic to be the problem. I think I should point out that I think hunting is REALLY over rated. I know lots of guys that should spend less time hunting and more time with their kids, but I will stand next to the soap box for now. Back to the point, with a wish list from Durahmtown we can start to think out side the bun. I think we should at very least expect if we stay with the date we will lose any trail riding and if we move the date we will lose many of our participates. If there will be less time for trails, there will be more time for us to do things like have a little two piece wheel brake down class, or some other stuff that is worthy of our time. Just something to think about.

I'm off to work, I'll check back when I get home. Good luck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think we should at very least expect if we stay with the date we will lose any trail riding and if we move the date we will lose many of our participates.

I want to reiterate something here. D-town was going to move the offroading from one portion of their facility to another. The email sent to me was that we would be in the new area. This is no problem whatsoever. I've seen the area and it will be fun. We were there in 2008.

What Mike is offering us is this: If we move the date up, he'll give us BOTH areas.

So keep existing date: get the new offroading area (which is fine)
Move date up: get the new area AND the old area (a special exemption for us).

All that being said, I am getting hammered with pm's saying that they will have a hard time moving their vacation dates so 99% odds are we will be keeping our existing date. We will still have a healthy, robust and fun offroading portion to the rally. I won't let you guys down. :D

phil2968

I vote to leave the date as is and try some new trails!

And besides, we need to keep Gimpy out of the grand canyon! No telling what he would do in there this year!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Clinto.......if we are not talking about having to move the rally location I vote we keep the orginal date......a lot of folks have already set plans in concrete (including me) for that date.
We can adjust fire on the trail rides.....remember we were discussing a hardball covoy on one day anyway.
Just my 2cents.

poppop

I don't see how we can change the date now. It would not effect me but most members it would. I say leave the date the same and lets work with Mike to make it all work. I lease hunting rights also and know how hunters get when they think something is messing up their hunting.. Mike has been to good to us and Durhamtown is to great a location to be worth messing it up.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Count me in on the keeping the date. We still plan on making a recon trip to determine just what is available. Some of the areas that we went into in 2008 were ....... interesting to say the least. If Mike gives us access to the "new" park and even limited access to the old park then we age even better off.

I think many if not most of our operators will appreciate the more technical rides anyway. IF we combine a hardball ride also we can hit just about all the options.

Yep, hunters can be testy, I know I am one, but then they are hunting at an "off road park".

Changing dates at this point is not a recommended plan.

Just my 0.02.

Squirt-Truck

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote to leave the date as is and try some new trails!

And besides, we need to keep Gimpy out of the grand canyon! No telling what he would do in there this year!

Phil,

I have to agree about gimpy, after the Haspin "event" you never know what he'll pull, does Durhamtown have "kiddie" trails, we could always limit gimpy to them.

P.S. That was me driving gimps truck in the grand canyon at last years rally.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
does Durhamtown have "kiddie" trails
On the ski slopes, we call them bunny trails....

mmm, rabbit

Oh yeah, I say keep the dates.

It's been 9 months, and Mike just realized the same issue was about to happen again?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I like rollovers as long as it's somebody else's truck and no one gets hurt. Maybe there will be more rollover opportunities in the new truck park.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
...I say continue the mission as per plan "A"....original dates....please!!!
Several of the CAMO members (not my CTR folks) had to fight to get that weekend for vacation days....not sure why....but they did...and they are locked, cocked, and ready to rock....on that weekend :)
Besides...as a couple of fellers have stated....it's more about looking at the different MVs and the fellowship....and er...girlship(??)er.... whatever...LOL

Heck...if push comes to shove we can construct a rather "tight" cow pie dodging course and let Wreckerman sniff the tires of all the vehicles entered. When he "alerts" that vehicle is kicked outta the competitionfat lady sings

Look....the very best operations order never survives the first contact...intact....after that...it's fragos and crisis management.....so let's:grd::grd::grd::not worthy:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Optimism is fading fast. Posted up a bunch of stuff I'd like to find a new home for in post 135. Not a single taker.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm....without going back that far 4X4....Dion (CAMO member) needs troop seats (preferebly fiberglasss ones) and bows for an M54A1....got that??

Blythewoodjoe

Optimism is fading fast. Posted up a bunch of stuff I'd like to find a new home for in post 135. Not a single taker.
Don't give up yet Kenny, most of us are still looking around in our back yards for stuff we can offer up. I would like some 14.5's. I can't think of anything I would do with them, but I would like some. I think they would look nice on the front of a 5 ton with 11.00's on the back. What weight are the 14.5's rated at?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm....without going back that far 4X4....Dion (CAMO member) needs troop seats (preferebly fiberglasss ones) and bows for an M54A1....got that??
Sorry Larry, I've sworn off 5 tons. Hey, wait. Isn't that an M54A1C dropside? If so, I think Wayne Harris in Baxley GA may have some parts.

Somewhere in the palmetto scrubs I have a 5 ton brake drum. Any time I start jonesing for a 5 ton, I go find that drum and move it to a new location. The next morning, I have no desire to own a 5 ton.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Stop it Kenny...we have 7 5tons in CAMO now...so stop hate'n em!!!

All we REALLY need is the troop seats...got a tarp and bows on site/located

Last edited: