• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2012 SS Ga Rally Info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Mess Tent will be available except during meals. If Streamline loans us another tent to go with the one we bought from him last year it would be a pretty big covered area..
Richard, All we need is the tent frame. I have a brand new 16 x 16 tent w/o frame I bought from Stonepicker just for the GA Rally.

I also have part of a field shower unit, - floor base, hoses, some partitions and what is supposed to be the tent (but no frame). Have never set it up. Will try to get pictures this week.

At this rate, I'll have to have three deuces to haul everything down. Maybe MD will only have to drive as far as Lexington in his veh. then switch into a deuce for the rest of the trip. I'll discuss it more with him at the VA Rally.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If it is OK I would like to set up some kind of hot showers and so forth at the new field. We have electricity and water, that's all we need. We need to find out if they will let us run shower water out on the ground. If not we will need to catch it and transport it to a dump area. We would need to find out if they will have a dump area too.
I will get approval for this today. I do not see an issue with us setting up our own shower. After all, D-town allows us the MKT which directly competes with their café. I will also find out about a dump area.

I think the power and water will be a great asset. The distance from the lodge will stink but I know I don't mind hauling people. In fact, why don't we plan on having a shutle run every hour on the hour Friday and Saturday from the lodge area. I might bring my new tug and put a few seats on the hood. I think after a few days of brain storming we will find many improvements in the location. And remember, I'm the negative guy in the group.

Unfortunately, here recently you are acting more like the “assassin of negativity” than your standard “assassin of joy” character. :D

The power and water will be a big help.

Lodge distance is further than I initially thought, I am a very bad judge of distance. Mark and I walked it, it didn’t seem that bad, but I’m running 2-3 miles a day after work, so I may have misjudged it. Judging by google maps, the distance from the old field to the new field is 7/10th of a mile, so the lodge and cabins are probably ½ a mile from the new field.

I don’t mind a shuttle run, but I am concerned about the implementation of such a feature. We’d have to have someone who was willing to stop what they were doing every hour or two and go sit at the entry desk and wait to see if anyone shows up. It might simply be easier to let attendees who need to go back to the lodges/cabins/rv’s bum a ride from one of the many Mule/ATV/golf cart owners. I certainly don’t mind.

So this means that all you guys that own mules need to bring them rofl

Might I make one more suggestion to ease the discomfort of the change. I think if we can round up enough stuff to have a "break" area (that's all I could of to call it) where attendees can sit down, hang out and socialize, it might eliminate the need to go back to the cabins and so forth to relax. I have a couple of tables and chairs I can bring. It looks like there is plenty of shade in the area but we could still set up a few tents or tarps too. Just an idea and maybe even a bad one.
If you have table or chairs, bring them. Make sure to label them so they don’t mistakenly get taken by someone at the end of the rally.

We will have the eating area which in times outside of breakfast, lunch and dinner, can double as a “lounge”. The Ga Rally owns several high quality tables (courtesy of an anonymous volunteer), so people can bring their folding chairs and have a shaded area to relax in (the MKT and it’s tents will be in a shaded area).

I'm willing to come down mid week and help set up stuff in the area. I'm only 2.5 hours away so a couple of trips is not a big deal. Also I don't drink so I will be a good taxi driver. No calls after mid-night
Be careful making offers like this-after 6 years running this thing, I am getting less shy about drafting folks for missions.

PS. I have a freezer in my garage we don't use. Can Kenny be trusted to watch over ice cream sandwiches?
I would talk to SCSG-G4 and see if you can integrate your freezer with his operation.

I believe no one can be trusted with ice cream sandwiches.

The Mess Tent will be available except during meals. If Streamline loans us another tent to go with the one we bought from him last year it would be a pretty big covered area.

If someone has some deuce or 5ton cargo covers or some other flat tarps we could sure use them for ground covers inside the tent.........it makes it a lot easier to clean up after meals.

I will be bringing two folding tables and 5 metal folding chairs....if anyone else can bring some we can have a nice sit down eating area.
I am sending streamline a pm today about additional signage, tents and such.

I have a few commercial rubber maid folding picnic tables, Table and chairs built in. Easy clean up.
If it’s not a hassle for you, bring them, but I hate to see you have to drag them all the way from MI. If it’s a hassle, we’ll make do. Thanks.

All of these are great ideas but if we are going to try to pull them off, we need to delegate some of the responsibility. We know Joe is very handy but I'd hate like heck for him to have to load/unload all of this stuff while others just wander around aimlessly. Joe, if you want to pull off the shower deal and Mr McCommons approves, I think that is all that you should do. Lets see if anyone else wants to bring a freezer. It's a great rally because folks step up. We need more to step up. The help is getting really good at the MKT but I'd like to see Mike and Richard get a break. I think the cold cut lunches planned will help that a bunch. I just hate to see too many people tied to a single task or multiple tasks the entire weekend.
All valid points. I don’t want people to get overworked. Everyone needs a chance to ride the trails, hang out with their friends, cruise the swap meet, etc.

This is why I’ve never tried to make the rally hyper-organized-in order to run it really tight, you need a lot of people and since volunteers are always in short supply, that means a core group of people do all the work, so the more we want to do, the more this core group of people have to do.

Maybe the new showers are not far away. C, get on the horn and get an answer...
Going to find out today.

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It looks like everything is far away. But, looking at the pictures and video I think this will probably be better than the old site. Specially if there is no horse poo.

Good job on getting things scoped out Clinto. [thumbzup]
It looks worse than it is from the aerial view. I really don't think it's going to be a problem.

Thanks.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, just got approval for our shower and location on the new shower area:

no problem on the miltary shower just keep it from running onto the campers

the new shower is directly behind the current bath house

behind the lodge on the hill

thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will we have our own porta johns, like in the past?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Will we have our own porta johns, like in the past?
Yes and I will try to get more for this year. Keep in mind we aren't paying for them.

Blythewoodjoe

It sounds like a great plan is coming together. I will get with Mike sometime over the next or so and look at the shower stuff he has. I will have my light kits there and will not need a generator to power them. One thing about me I would like to point out. I attend these rally's because I like the crowd. This hobby contains some of the most kind and good hearted people I know. I actually enjoy doing things for my friends, and you all are my friends. Setting up stuff and making everybody's experiance more enjoyable is what I enjoy the most at these things. I can ride in the woods here at my house. It's the people that make this fun. I am sure that is the case for the entire core of volunteers. I look forward to turning this little patch of woods into our home for a few days.

I also have kitchen tent (like the one I sold poor Gimp a few years ago) that I think would be "fun" to set up for attendee usage. I can set it up by myself in an hour or so. I also have a lock and chain for the freezer to protect the ice cream sandwiches ;-)

TadB

I can probably come up with a bill board tarp(20X60) for the floor in the MKT. We can cut it to whatever size needed. Let me know if we can use it.

Clinto, if you cannot work out the port-a-jons let me know. i have a friend in madison that rents them, and I may be able to work something out with him if need be.

Blythewoodjoe

I just changed my "rv spot" to B7 in the new area. If we get a layout of the area at some point I would like to see the spots. Depending on how the area is laid out I may want to change spots again so my lights and so forth can be set up next to my spot to prevent drop cords from running across any walk ways.

Joe

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tent we have for the MKT area is more like 16 x 32 with both sections setup. Remember, we have four wash stations this year, one at the MKT area, and three others to put out near the porta-potties. They are the ones Gimpy picked up for me out of Lockbourne, and traveled to Aberdeen before coming south.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can get Ferro to work for a couple of days. That way we won't have to pull him outta the mud holes.

Really- I plan on being there Friday, the 5th of Oct. If something needs to be done before the masses arrive, let me know. I have the M814, and can bring stuff if I know it will be needed. I noticed some logs in the video- Can we have them? I will bring a chain saw and plenty of chain, and we can slice and dice to feed Gimpy's fire.2cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks