• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2012 SS Ga Rally Info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like this idea!

Are the Morgans planning to have their wrecker there?

Ron, how is your truck coming along? Or Swiss'?

Does DT have a large excavator?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you plan to replace your 543 bed with another 543 bed? Interesting! Heck, I thought it needed a new cab.

zout

B7 - is right next to B8 and B6 aua - now ya know I just had to do that right :D.

If you come in from I20 - head up to DTI - right BOMBER area is the 4wheeler course on the right - SS Rally field is just before this on the right.

So looking back at the pics Ron and I took Sat - as turn right into the drive - Bomber course is on your left - SS battlefield on your right then. Turn right into SS field - B6 through B12 is the row to your left - nearly agaginst the treeline.

Coming in the drive to the SS field to your RIGHT - is another row of RV hookups (I did not take their position numbers cause I am a total slacker).

At this time - the row on the left appears to have been totally paid for and rented out - I know B11 & B12 are for the entire week from 7 to 14.

Hope this helps Bly. PM if I make no sense at all - and I will get Deb in here to interpret.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like this idea!
Of course you do!

So you plan to replace your 543 bed with another 543 bed? Interesting! Heck, I thought it needed a new cab.
It needed a new cab, and I have been using the crane around the yard some. Just used it last night to reposition a 2k poly tank in my tank farm.

The bed needs quite a bit of work to be fully operational. I found a m936 bed in the classifieds that is ready to go. So to save lots of time and energy I bought the bed and am going to swap it out.

I need to go pickup the new bed, but once I do I won't be able to use my 270 to bring any trucks to GA. I won't be able to use it at all until I do the bed swap. I was looking at a crane rental to get the job done at the house. The idea hit me last night if there were going to be two wreckers at GA, why not bring it down there? The problem I now have is how to get the new bed, and the wrecker, there at the same time. I only have one 40ft flatbed, and the wrecker and the new bed on the same trailer would put me overweight.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure that with the gas hatchet and some time you could lighten up the old 543 bed considerably before the trip. It doesn't matter how many trucks you bring to the rally, it's how much fun you have. I say swapping a wrecker bed would be much fun. Have Angie drive the battleship looking bus and if you need a runaround, tow the HyRail truck. Super Easy (for me to say).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Of course you do!

It needed a new cab, and I have been using the crane around the yard some. Just used it last night to reposition a 2k poly tank in my tank farm.

The bed needs quite a bit of work to be fully operational. I found a m936 bed in the classifieds that is ready to go. So to save lots of time and energy I bought the bed and am going to swap it out.

I need to go pickup the new bed, but once I do I won't be able to use my 270 to bring any trucks to GA. I won't be able to use it at all until I do the bed swap. I was looking at a crane rental to get the job done at the house. The idea hit me last night if there were going to be two wreckers at GA, why not bring it down there? The problem I now have is how to get the new bed, and the wrecker, there at the same time. I only have one 40ft flatbed, and the wrecker and the new bed on the same trailer would put me overweight.
Take off all the parts that can be taken off the 936 bed to lighten it up, put all the now loose parts on the 543, this should help the weight proplem

Last edited by a moderator:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You need to get the seller of the wrecker bed to bring it to the rally, as a condition of sale .

:D

Then you bring your wrecker on the trailer.

Problem solved!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I like this idea!

Are the Morgans planning to have their wrecker there?

Ron, how is your truck coming along? Or Swiss'?

Installed Swiss trans yesterday, another day or two to get things (a lot of things) hooked up.

My cover came Sat., sourcing seals now, my trunnion inserts for front motor mounts should be here Wed., also need the build rad. mounts, exhaust (have some parts), put the front end sheet metal back on, then need to set toe and mount two tires for spares.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could strip all I could strip off the wrecker- single out the rear, cut all the tool boxes and stuff off the bed, take the spare off, fuel tanks, rear winch cable etc

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I saw they had a smaller track hoe around. (Not a mini!)

If all else fails I'm sure one of us can use the dozer and push the wrecker beds up onto the truck frames. I doubt a really good operator would do much damage.

Of course we can get the number of a good scrapyard ahead of time just in case.

You can thank me later Ferro.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You need to get the seller of the wrecker bed to bring it to the rally, as a condition of sale .

:D

Then you bring your wrecker on the trailer.

Problem solved!
With this plan, HOW does FERRO get the old bed BACK to his AO????, other then this question, not a bad plan.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
With this plan, HOW does FERRO get the old bed BACK to his AO????, other then this question, not a bad plan.
A. Some other South Carolinian brings an empty trailer with them and hauls it back.

B. Ferro brings a LOT of oxygen and acetylene to the rally and hauls the old bed back in trash bags.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A. Some other South Carolinian brings an empty trailer with them and hauls it back.

B. Ferro brings a LOT of oxygen and acetylene to the rally and hauls the old bed back in trash bags.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I did not think of this, FERRO could put the trash bags on the NEW bed, PROBLEM solved.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How about I just leave the old bed at Clinto's house for a year or two?:razz:
Not a whole lot of room left. 7 deuces, 3 M105s, a mule and one yellow labbie has taken up most of my room.

I could probably squeeze it in but I'd have to fairly compensated. :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring the gas hatchet. By the time most folk arrive, lots of the bed can be filleted and sold for operating capital. You can burn the hydraulic oil in Angie's battleship van and after dark we can toss the hoses in the fire. If the EPA shows uo we can charge them admission.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the hoses are new! I plan to keep them as spares. I also wanted to keep the motors and such as spares. Is there a scrap yard nearby? :D

I could probably squeeze it in but I'd have to fairly compensated. :D
How about I'll keep picking up crap for your girlfriend?

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

Hey its 11:00, don't you people have jobs?

Seriously, I did some research and it appears the 50 amp spots do have 230 power. I will need to make up a plug for my welder, but since I have a 30 service, who will let me plug up the welder at their 50? I am at b7. Anyway I will make up a plug that will have my welder outlet and a bunch of 110 volt plugs too.

Joe

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your welder is the standard 30A plug then swing by and RV dealer and pick up the RV 50A to 30A adapter. I carry one in our trailer for just such an occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.