• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2020 Georgia Military Vehicle Rally (20GMVR) information thread

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Be aware that D-town is having issues with their phone system. I just tried to call to let them know I'd be late checking in and none of the numbers I had for them worked. I texted a friend already there and he talked to the lodge.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With COVID-19 and coming from Europe, no way I could make it this year, regardless lack of time (new job) and serious lack of $$$.

With several other actions we were supposed to attend this year in the USA (Blacksmith meeting, Hereditary Cancer conference), we will definitely be coming to the USA in 2020 as well, but in summer, too early for the GA Rally.
So maybe 2021.

Saw the T-Shirt designs for 2019 and earlier (very nice one) but not the 2020 T-Shirt?

Any 2x or better 3x from 2019 left?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, I'm home. We just finished the 14th rally.

I always have this grand idea of remembering all the people who helped put it on and then I get home and know I'm forgetting half the people.

I hope everyone had a great time. We didn't know what to do this year, pandemic, mass unemployment, etc. At the last minute, with Gunnermac's pushing, we decided to take a run at it. I'm glad we did. I needed the time off work. I usually am burnt out by Sunday morning and just wanna' go home, but this year, I dreaded going home because that means I have to go back to work tomorrow.

The rally appreciates all the people it takes to put this on and I want to start at the top: Memphis Equipment and Gunnermac.

The rally costs money to put on. Insurance, attorneys, infrastructure, etc. And we only make money off t-shirts. I can unequivocally say that without Tripp and Memphis Equipment's gracious support, we couldn't put this on.

I ask that everyone throw some business at Memphis and let them know you got to them because of the rally. If you buy from their website or ebay store, include a message. If you call and talk to a sales person, let them know. I want Memphis to get a good return on their investment so they'll keep doing it.

Second, Gunnermac did all the hard work this year. If you enjoyed the event, or if you want to attend in the future, thank him. It's on him this year, not me.

And thank you to all the volunteers who set up the tent, help take it down. Set up and take down the hand washing stations. Thanks to Kenny and his awesome kids for helping so much at registration and getting everyone welcomed and sent where they needed to go.

Thanks to the swap meet vendors who brought stuff to sell and had no idea how many people would show up.

Thanks to Glcaines for leading the hardball convoy and the local law enforcement for helping us put that on.

Thanks to all the people who drove so far to goof off with us.

I've already talked to D-town and we're going to set the date early this year so 2021 can get back to being normal and big.

We had magnificent weather this year, cool during the day, little chilly at night. This is the event I've always had in mind. We've always done it in the fall - I got burned out going to car shows in the summer and being sunburned and this year was just perfect.

Here's the rally multimedia thread, post your images and video!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Saw the T-Shirt designs for 2019 and earlier (very nice one) but not the 2020 T-Shirt?

Any 2x or better 3x from 2019 left?
I do have leftover shirts from 2019 and a few from this year, I'll try and get a thread up tonight

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it back to NC with all vehicles and family members intact. Son had some problems with his Excursion but she held together to get his camper home. Thanks to ALL involved. This year was much more laid back and intimate, and I didn't hate it. See some in Denton in April and others next year at DT!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I put your adapter cord in the rally trailer, sorry about not getting it to you before you left. It was great seeing everyone that made it, missed those that couldn't be there.
Thanks Daniel! I'll get Clinto to ship it this way. Sorry if my rustling around your trailer Saturday night disturbed you, was being very qwiet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what its worth, this was the best rally I've had in a long time. Smaller, more intimate and just fun. As much as I enjoyed the MKT, the community cooking between camps and groups was very enjoyable. I didn't miss the labor and scheduling of the MKT. While there were 2 food trucks there (Thanks Gunnermac), I only got to try the Winghouse folks. My kids thoroughly enjoyed the wings and I enjoyed the fried pickles. I prefer spears and usually won't order chips, glad I did. The "Jack" sauce was excellent. I hope we gave them enough business to return another time. Looking forward to another year. For all those who served and especially Gunnermac and Clinto, a sincere thanks. Extra thanks Clinto for letting Jonathan drive your truck, me thinks he wants one!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Extra thanks Clinto for letting Jonathan drive your truck, me thinks he wants one!
We go to car shows and cruise nights here in Athens, and sometimes take the deuce. Tell him he can come join us and he can drive.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good Rally! The weather was absolutely perfect. I finally arrived home at 2:00 PM after a long and boring drive. Actually a boring drive home is good because it means no breakdowns. Those that missed the Rally don't know what they missed. Thanks to Clinto and Gunnermac and everyone else involved for an excellent Rally! Special thanks to Welder1 and Sandcobra164 for the great hospitality and for helping me gain several pounds with the excellent meals. Eddie, those porkchops were outstanding! Thanks again for the knife for my Grandson Travis. He saw the knife via Zoom and he is VERY excited. Steven, the next time you come up to North Georgia, you need to stop by. :)

GA Rally 2020.JPG

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what its worth, this was the best rally I've had in a long time. Smaller, more intimate and just fun. As much as I enjoyed the MKT, the community cooking between camps and groups was very enjoyable. I didn't miss the labor and scheduling of the MKT. While there were 2 food trucks there (Thanks Gunnermac), I only got to try the Winghouse folks. My kids thoroughly enjoyed the wings and I enjoyed the fried pickles. I prefer spears and usually won't order chips, glad I did. The "Jack" sauce was excellent. I hope we gave them enough business to return another time. Looking forward to another year. For all those who served and especially Gunnermac and Clinto, a sincere thanks. Extra thanks Clinto for letting Jonathan drive your truck, me thinks he wants one!

Kenny, to be expected. We see the same with our traditional meetings in our blacksmith workshop (not MV related). After some years, it becomes too massive and a lot of the intimacy gets lost.

...... Those that missed the Rally don't know what they missed ........
:sad::sad:

But we do

:cry::cry::cry:

LanceRobson

I'm glad that everyone seemed to have a good time and stayed safe. It's a good thing I pulled the plug and stayed home after Nancy's Covid diagnosis as I got it too and had several rough days. Fortuneately, she just and a runny nose and slight headache for a few days. We're out of the woods now and out of isolation and hopefully I won't be dealing with too many lingering lung issues.

Interestingly, I had some CT scans at the local Veterans Administration clinic the week before all this and have some more scheduled next week. They already found some lung scarring from previous illnesses and this will be a good opportunity for the doctors to get a solid before and after look at any potential new scarring as it relates to Covid-19.

I'm looking forward to see some of you at the Denton, NC event in the spring. That's close enough to home to maybe make two trips and drag a big smoker down. Mmmm...critter parts, smoke, beer and friends. My favorite recipe!

Best regards to all,

Lance

Welder1

Very good Rally! The weather was absolutely perfect. I finally arrived home at 2:00 PM after a long and boring drive. Actually a boring drive home is good because it means no breakdowns. Those that missed the Rally don't know what they missed. Thanks to Clinto and Gunnermac and everyone else involved for an excellent Rally! Special thanks to Welder1 and Sandcobra164 for the great hospitality and for helping me gain several pounds with the excellent meals. Eddie, those porkchops were outstanding! Thanks again for the knife for my Grandson Travis. He saw the knife via Zoom and he is VERY excited. Steven, the next time you come up to North Georgia, you need to stop by. :)

View attachment 817729
Gary,

I was glad you were able to join us this year again. Please plan on that again next year. We will be trying to get all the Albany boys back in for next year.

Eddie

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have leftover 2020, 2019 and 2018 shirts (including a few youth sizes from 2018 ) available for purchase:

Also, I'd like to remind ya'll once again that without Memphis Equipment's support, we couldn't have continued the rally in the last few years. There are a lot of hidden costs to an event like this: I spent a thousand bucks rebuilding all the hand washing stations a couple years ago, insurance policy, attorney's fees, etc. I can't come out of pocket for that stuff and Memphis' support pushes us across the line.

Please consider them as a parts seller the next time you need something. They usually have the best deal on Deuce brake hose sets on eBay - I've bought a lot of brake hoses from them.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So how did everyone feel about the date this year? D-town bumped us back from our usual 3rd week in October date to the first weekend in November.

Was this a big deal to anyone? Keep you from attending due to proximity to Thanksgiving?

We're in the process of setting next year's dates so we can get everyone notified as soon as possible.

Thanks

Clinto

Do you have a very large (2x or 3x from 2019?) left?
No, sorry

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
It was good, although the ignorant people crowding in on four wheelers and side by sides doing nightly drag races down the road AND our dirt road at night that ARENT supposed to be riding at night (not a part of our group) led to part of my group disbanding early and heading home because it wasn’t worth a poor nights sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks