• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2020 Georgia Military Vehicle Rally (20GMVR) information thread

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gee, and I thought the original meaning was 'TIRELESS WORKER'!

Actually, the term comes from "ROBOTA", which is the obligatory work the peasants had to do a few days per year for the lord of the manor. This was part of the serfdom under feudalistic rule under the Hapsburg rule (Austro-Hungarian Monarchy).

Until 1848, the peasants in the Monarchy were property of the nobility, lock, stock and barrel. The census in the 17th and early 18th century were not called "census of people" but "inventory of assets and property". The peasants has economic right for their farms, could even name their heirs to the property, but in reality they and the farms were juridical owned by the landlord. AS part of this, their obligations included "so-many days with one oxen with plow on this field and so-many days with hay wagon, scythe, and rake on that meadow.

I wrote something about this on our website CzechFriends.org about the times in the old Homeland.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just want to remind everyone about our sponsor, Memphis Equipment.

Memphis' generosity has really allowed the rally to be what it is. The only place the rally makes money is t-shirt sales. All those other fees are Durhamtown. And when the rally was a cookout in our backyard, there weren't many costs. But now that it is a big event, there's an insurance policy, an attorney to go over the yearly changes to the waivers, soap and napkins for the handwashing stations, rental of a power spot for the tent, etc.

Memphis' help allows us to do this without charging rally attendees for anything.

So I hope you'll consider them for at least a couple purchases this year. Them getting a good return on investment for their sponsorship is what will bring them back next year.

Their website is https://memphisequipment.com/ and their ebay store is https://www.ebay.com/str/memphisequipmentmecoparts

Thanks everybody. I'm working on the date for next year now, so we should have a 2021 date before December. This should allow everyone who wants to join us next year enough time to plan for it.

C

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Waiting patiently for a date.......
So am I. At first D-town gave me the same dates as we had this year, then a few days later I get an email saying "we're looking for a date, the hunters complained about the noise"

:rolleyes:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cost benefit analysis. Amount of revenue received over the course 5 days from the rally or a bunch of hunters? No pun intended Walker Hunter. For such a money grubbing business, they might be making the wrong choice.

LanceRobson

I figure there has to be something pretty lucrative going on in order for them to even consider allowing hunting to get in the way of the core business for which they normally exist. The ability to hunt that large a private property is a rare thing in much of the country and hunters, especially if they have a hunting lease, are pretty certianly paying top dollar for the privilege. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that a hunt club has the entire parcel under a pretty hiigh $$$ lease.

On the other hand, as a former farm owner and working woodlot owner and after being involved for many years in regional and statewide fish and wildlife management, including personlly active participation in urban, campus and suburban intensive deer hunting, I can attest that if the deer hear vehicles or have a lot of folks walking trails in their home area they will pay almost no attention to that activity. In those cases it's only when folks take on the aspect of being a predator that the game get cautious. You can just walk through the woods and get within 50 yards of a deer on most any day. Try sneaking through the woods once or twice and every deer within 600 yards will become very timid very quickly.

I long ago lost count of the number of deer I shot or arrowed in heavily accessed areas while sitting in plain sight on a chair on the edge of an opening or just a few feet into a brush line but otherwise acting casually like every other hiker or bird watcher in the woods.

I wonder if taking a look at the open big game seasons in that area and finding likely weekends before that would help in picking a date?

Best regards,

Lance

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I for one if ever able to attend again think it's still a great deal
We pretty much have run of the place day and night
Not one Durham town employee has ever told me I can't be here or there.

They have never check on me to see if I have paid the trails fees.

Accomations can get pricey but if you cost share it's very affordable

When you lose a thing that's when you miss it.
I so hope I will be able to return and visit with friends and watch crazy friends get stuck (Elijah)
Please don't let this event die. It is just too much damn fun.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinton's back yard?
We did that in 2006. Only did it once as I ran out of room after the first one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks