• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2020 Georgia Military Vehicle Rally (20GMVR) information thread

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
So, as much as I love the familiarity of D-Town, and the tight-packed camping, I did find an alternative. That is Windrock up in TN, we’re talking 70,000 acres of trails with primitive/powered/cabin spaces, decent prices, a store on site, etc.

It’s nearly 4 hours away for me, but the hospitality is supposedly better per a group I know that gets 50 members together to go riding there annually.

Here’s a link to their page, I haven’t spoken to them but it’s possible we could negotiate a group rate on it.

Also, the trails range from mild-wild, with mud, dust, trees, rock climbing and river-crossing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Furthermore, there’s an abandoned Diesel-electric train accessible on one of the trails for some amazing pictures

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Furthermore, there’s an abandoned Diesel-electric train
You don't say? 🤔 I'll bring my tools and we'll get her going. :jumpin:

6hr deuce ride from my place. Loved the 3hr ride to D town before. But I've also done the 14hr ride to Haspin several times, so it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's exactly the one I was thinking it might be!

Reading Railroad #520, Built by American Locomotive Works, Model RS-3, (Road Switcher) with a model 244 12 cylinder 1,600hp diesel. Painted for Southern Railroad and used by a fledgling tourist operation on the former NS line now owned by RJ Corman. Line was abandoned when the coal mine shuttered operations. The fan on the radiator was one of those big shop fans, the gear box went out so they just set it up there and had a generator run it. Over heated often, I have seen several pictures of them refiling from a garden hose. The operation ended when they were running beyond their track limits, and hit a hyrail truck.

I know all this off the top of my head because I tried to purchase the locomotive and cars 6-7 years ago. At the time the thieves had only cut the large cables running from the frame to the traction motors- everything else was there. Also the line was passable. I planned to get the locomotive running and replace one set of cables and run her out of there. I was told by the owners they were attempting to do another ride somewhere else, so they weren't interested in selling. I told them she would wind up this way, last chance to save it. They laughed at me, literally.

Now she is stripped of pretty much all the copper, and the rail line is riddled with washouts and impassable. Unfortunately the only way she will leave now is in small pieces in dump trucks. Very sad.

Better times in 2008-
alco rs3.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wouldn't be too bad for me, only 18 miles further than my drive to Durhamtown. Most likely the trip would take longer due to driving through more mountainous areas, but the main thing is to have a reasonable place to have the event. I would prefer the GA Rally to be held in Georgia, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. One question I have is whether they require the wearing of helmets while driving our MVs on the trails.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie

Reading Railroad #520, Built by American Locomotive Works, Model RS-3, (Road Switcher) with a model 244 12 cylinder 1,600hp diesel. Painted for Southern Railroad and used by a fledgling tourist operation on the former NS line now owned by RJ Corman. Line was abandoned when the coal mine shuttered operations. The fan on the radiator was one of those big shop fans, the gear box went out so they just set it up there and had a generator run it. Over heated often, I have seen several pictures of them refiling from a garden hose. The operation ended when they were running beyond their track limits, and hit a hyrail truck.

I know all this off the top of my head because I tried to purchase the locomotive and cars 6-7 years ago. At the time the thieves had only cut the large cables running from the frame to the traction motors- everything else was there. Also the line was passable. I planned to get the locomotive running and replace one set of cables and run her out of there. I was told by the owners they were attempting to do another ride somewhere else, so they weren't interested in selling. I told them she would wind up this way, last chance to save it. They laughed at me, literally.

Now she is stripped of pretty much all the copper, and the rail line is riddled with washouts and impassable. Unfortunately the only way she will leave now is in small pieces in dump trucks. Very sad.

Better times in 2008-
View attachment 828741
Wow so much that I didn’t know! That’s awesome but sad. Time marches on and leaves relics behind quickly

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
It wouldn't be too bad for me, only 18 miles further than my drive to Durhamtown. Most likely the trip would take longer due to driving through more mountainous areas, but the main thing is to have a reasonable place to have the event. I would prefer the GA Rally to be held in Georgia, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. One question I have is whether they require the wearing of helmets while driving our MVs on the trails.
They don’t require helmets in civilian vehicles so I’d hope they wouldn’t require us to. They might on four wheelers

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Better times in 2008-
View attachment 828741
Wow! It sure looks sweet in this picture... Sure was a shame that the owners were so stubborn. I never have understood how the featured attraction (the train) could have been abandoned like that. :-(

AMGeneral

Better times in 2008-
View attachment 828741

I can already hear the wheels turning from here!

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, as much as I love the familiarity of D-Town, and the tight-packed camping, I did find an alternative. That is Windrock up in TN, we’re talking 70,000 acres of trails with primitive/powered/cabin spaces, decent prices, a store on site, etc.

It’s nearly 4 hours away for me, but the hospitality is supposedly better per a group I know that gets 50 members together to go riding there annually.

Here’s a link to their page, I haven’t spoken to them but it’s possible we could negotiate a group rate on it.

Also, the trails range from mild-wild, with mud, dust, trees, rock climbing and river-crossing

Hey, that’s my neck of the woods.....well about a hour south of me. I can certainly vouch for windrock. I’ve been riding there since around 2004. It’s a awesome place for pretty much EVERY sort of off roading escapades. plenty of on property cabins, RV hookup lots and primitive camping. The campgrounds have two full amenitie bathhouses with showers and bathrooms. They do 2 big events a year, their spring and fall jamborees, that includes off-road and food vendors, different off-roading events such as guided trail tours during night and day, mudbogs, and obstacle course for utv and atvs. They have 2 large lots they use for vendors and such. A smaller one right next to the camping and RV lots and a larger newer developed lot mid way between the campgrounds and trail head area. Another added bonus is for people who wish to partake in shooting they have a rifle range on site with rentals including full auto. I have no idea on what their automatic selection is. The terrain is varied but quite mountainous, it is though located on windrock mountain lol. The top of the mountain has quite a few windmill generators that you can go visit and view there are around 20 or so. The trails themselves honestly vary and change all the time due to rainfall on mountainous terrain. The trails tend to wash out and change from storm to storm. Like Elijah had said they vary significantly in difficulty from a gravel road to extreme technical courses some are also narrow for only small vehicles IE four wheelers and smaller side by sides, but still plenty of open trails for the big toys. They do have rock bouncer corses also for those interested. The trail head has a general store that stocks mostly snacks, drinks, clothing, and a small selection of random off-roading equipment mostly themed around the atv utv crowd. The park itself is located around 30 mins 20 miles from I40 and Knoxville. One of my coworkers wife knows the guy who owns the park system. So if there’s any questions anyone has just ask. Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to put the info out for everyone. Ill add some pics below

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of a place up in north Georgia called Iron Mountain. Unfortunately I have not been there so I do not have experience with the facilities but another option to look into that is in Georgia.
I live fairly near Iron Mountain Resort, but I've never been there. Their website is: https://ironmountainresort.com/ . They say they have 4,300 acres and 150 miles of trails for ATVs, 4 X 4s and trucks. When they say trucks, I don't know if that would include some of our large 3-axle MVs.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks