• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official Deuce Aftermarket Wheel Thread

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, there are some good deuce rim solutions presented I was not aware of.

I have a few questions I have not seen asked thus far in my study of MRAP, HEMMT, and/or other rim options. Having no access to, or seeing these rims first hand is the greatest obstacle to my understanding. If anyone could post photos of the HEMMT and MRAP rims side by side, that would be a great addition to this thread.

I have a singled out deuce with the rear hubs flipped and currently fitted with stock rims and 1100x20 Goodyear highway oriented radial tires that I want to get rid of.

My goals are to select and fit a tire/rim combo that:

* Has a reasonable cost while addressing the following objectives
* Is the largest size available to fit a stock deuce with or without the hubs flipped
* Does not significantly rub or interfere with the vehicle under off road driving
* Maintains the tires within the fenders and under the bed (for legal purposes)
* Provides an equal or greater degree of ease of tire change, relative to the stock rim lock ring
* Is a rim that is and will continue to be readily available

* Is not an MPT type (due to availability in my area)

I solicit your experience, wisdom and opinions.

Rick

Attachments

plym49

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, there are some good deuce rim solutions presented I was not aware of.

I have a few questions I have not seen asked thus far in my study of MRAP, HEMMT, and/or other rim options. Having no access to, or seeing these rims first hand is the greatest obstacle to my understanding. If anyone could post photos of the HEMMT and MRAP rims side by side, that would be a great addition to this thread.

I have a singled out deuce with the rear hubs flipped and currently fitted with stock rims and 1100x20 Goodyear highway oriented radial tires that I want to get rid of.

My goals are to select and fit a tire/rim combo that:

* Has a reasonable cost while addressing the following objectives
* Is the largest size available to fit a stock deuce with or without the hubs flipped
* Does not significantly rub or interfere with the vehicle under off road driving
* Maintains the tires within the fenders and under the bed (for legal purposes)
* Provides an equal or greater degree of ease of tire change, relative to the stock rim lock ring
* Is a rim that is and will continue to be readily available

* Is not an MPT type (due to availability in my area)

I solicit your experience, wisdom and opinions.

Rick
Interested in this answer as well. My Deuce looks exactly like yours: same flipped hubs and tires. (Although, except for the too-skinny looking track from the rear, I must say that highway radials do provide a good ride and good mileage.)

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, this thread dropped like a stone through this forum after I posted my question.

I'm sending it back up for air. anybody care to chime in?

Rick

ccequipment

If you don't want the tires to stick out go for the mrap rims, they have about 9" of backspace. The Hemmt rims have about 7" of back space making them stick out about 2". The truck will steer eaiser with the mrap rims also do to the fact that they have a narrower track width.

peashooter

Boy, this thread dropped like a stone through this forum after I posted my question.

I'm sending it back up for air. anybody care to chime in?

Rick
Sorry I cant post any pics to compare these to HEMMT rims but here are a couple pics that at least show the front of my m109a3 and how the wheels fit inside the fenders.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For all of you interested in the comparison of a typical MRAP-12-bolt steel-wheel, vs. the HEMTT, FMTV and 5ton combat wheels posted here: this is another sectional drawing I made (to scale), showing its basic dimensions.
Special Thanks! to members Peashooter and Lwarstler, for providing the exact measurements for this project!

G.

Attachments

DatGuyC

That's the only picture I have at the moment. Just finished replacing the other wheels in the picture but it got dark. 2 down still all three on the drivers side and the passengers front to do. I live in jessup near the I-95 rout 32 crossover.

DatGuyC

Well I got the rest of the m1076 wheels on, what a task. They stick about 2-3 inches in the front where I would prefer them to line up with the fenders but I'm not too worried. In the back they sit exactly as wide as the stock duallys so there shouldn't be any stability issues I've heard about, and I'll take that over looks any day.

Attachments

EXITNOONE

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF

the mrap wheels themselves were flipped ??

would they stick outside of the fenders & bed by about 10 to 12 inches ??

would this put far too much strain on the lug bolts ??

would the A3 be more stable due to the wider wheel base ??

peashooter

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF

the mrap wheels themselves were flipped ??

would they stick outside of the fenders & bed by about 10 to 12 inches ??

would this put far too much strain on the lug bolts ??

would the A3 be more stable due to the wider wheel base ??
Obviously you wouldn't flip the front wheels but you can flip the rear ones in leu of flipping the hubs. The wheels have a large center hole about 1/2" wider than the deuce's hubs so they will work with adapter plates in either orientation. There is a link a couple pages back to "mean greens" truck that has the rears flipped.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Wheel-Thread&p=1233273&viewfull=1#post1233273

Last edited:

peashooter

Making FMTV wheels fit the deuce with MRAP adapters

Here are some pics a customer sent me. He isn’t an SS member, but he had acquired some FMTV wheels and wanted them to fit the deuce axles.
When he bought the wheels, he wasn’t aware they wouldn’t easily adapt to the axles. He decided anyway to buy a set of the MRAP adapter plates I sell in order to save the hassle of having to make his own centers.
You can see from the pictures how he mounted the adapter plates to make them work for his FMTV wheels. He welded the adapter onto the larger portion of the wheel (the dish piece). He said there was no modifying of that part and that the adapter fit right inside the existing opening nicely. He did have to cut the center out of the front portion of the wheel as you can see.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks