• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OFFICIAL RC RALLY 08' CONVOY THREAD

No.2Diesel

Hi,

So when would everyone like to meet at Rausch Creek Offroad Park on Friday October 10, 2008 ?

Last year we arrived late in the morning ~11am or so. I had made the schedule too tight and didn't leave enough room for error or emergencies.

I'm a fan of making most of a day so I put my vote in for arriving around 10AM at the park. I realize that many of you have some very long journeys ahead. (I left around 3:45AM and I was still late in meeting NewMVGuy.)

If fuel stops and Rendesvous points are carried out as efficiently as possible everything should fall into place.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an initial attempt to create seperate groups, meeting places and times. This will become more specific as attendees COMMUNICATE their thoughts: Please discuss your thoughts

WESTBOUND SERIAL GREEN SCHEDULE

---------TIME, RENDESVOUS POINT---------------------------------------------------------------STEEL SOLDIERS

~0645-Pilot Trkstp Bloomsbury, NJ, I-78 exit 7---------------------------------------NewMVGuy, No.2Diesel
~0800-Bandit Trkstp Golden Key Rd, PA I-78 exit 45 (w.of Allentown)-----------Blackout?, RickM29C?
~915-Pilot Trkstp East of Harrisburg, PA I-81 exit 77 -------------------------------entire NORTHBOUND BLUE SERIAL
~1000-Arrive at Rausch Creek Offroad Park meeting Southbound RED Serial

I am appointing maddawg the NORTHBOUND BLUE SERIAL commander.

NORTHBOUND BLUE SERIAL SCHEDULE

---------TIME, RENDESVOUS POINT----------------------------------------------------------------STEEL SOLDIERS
~0915-Pilot Trkstp East of Harrisburg, PA I-81 exit 77----------maddawg308, Jayjetseck, RickyOday, rfischba1, M37Dodge, Entire BLUE Serial
~1000-BLUE & GREEN Serials arrive at Rausch Creek offroad park, meeting RED serial members

SOUTHBOUND RED SERIAL MEMBERS

-LanceRobson
-Angus1

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: OFFICIAL RC RALLY 08

I can't say my sons wiil be there on Friday before they get off work or out of school plus I am hoping that they will first swing over to Johnfire's place to pick up my M1031 contact truck before heading up. I am hoping the EUC is done in time for this to happen. John has offered to help me pick it up and then the boys will get it from him.

Thanks for coordinating all this reminds me of my convoy commander days in the truck companies

No.2Diesel

RE: OFFICIAL RC RALLY 08

No problem Armyman. You He can show up anytime. I'll update. That M1031 is a nice addition to the fleet! You could stock that thing with all your tools and oil & grease etc. for the entire motorpool and save some space in the garage!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Someone had suggested that we eliminate the Ono truck stop rendesvous point as its only 12 miles East of the Pilot truckstop at exit 77 on I-81. This would allow the BLUE & GREEN serials to meet sooner and eliminates the need for an additional stop. We would be backtracking that extra mileage to the 81/78 interchange but the time savings would be a benefit.

How do you guys feel about this?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M37Dodge

Pilot stop works for me . . .

Linking at Exti 77/Pilot Truck stop is notreally out of my way - and it lets me convoy longer. BTW: My top speed is ~55mph on flat ground (no overdrive - and w/o a trailer). While slow, it is faster than most M37's as my engine has more compression and my tires are 42" o.d. vs. 36" factory size. I hope this won't be a problem for the convoy?

scooter01922

RE: Pilot stop works for me . . .

Top speed shouldn't be an issue, i know i'll be hugging 55 the whole way too. Looks like you have this all planned pretty well No2, not sure if i'm gonna be able to adhere to that plan tho. I haven't done the actual math yet but i would think that i would need to leave no later than 1-2 AM to be able to meey you guys at the first stop in jersey. Not that i can't make that happen but i gotta look at all the possible routes and maybe meet up with you guys later.:-(

No.2Diesel

-I usually run 52mph max in my Deuce (2300-2,400rpm probably due to half worn tires) and we would travel at the speed of the slowest vehicle so there should be no problem. And thanks for the input about the rendesvous points M37. I'll wait for some more input from others before something is changed permanently although it seems to be going in that direction.

-Wow those are big tires!

---------------------------------------------------------------
edit:

Yeah thats a long way scooter. Its definately a marathon. With that long of a trip it is beneficial to be in a convoy (even if its for only half your distance.) If you have the luxury of taking Thusday off to rest...I don't want to tell you what to do. Its fine if you can't convoy and can only get there later Friday. I just hate to see someone make that trip alone.

(remember: the person that travels the farthest to attend gets to wheel for free for the weekend 8) )

scooter01922

Believe me i don't want to travel all the way myself either, while the run through the night to get home from aberdeen was interesting i just don't know if an all nighter in the deuce would be so much fun the second time around :driver: I have to start looking closer at what i have going on that week and try to shift some stuff around. Hopefully i can still manage to convoy out, looks like a ball.

scooter01922

well i just mapquested it again....looks like it will only be 50 or so miles from planned route to meet up with you guys at the first stop. Total Estimated Time: 6 hours 55 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 402.30 miles That is without the detour to meet up with you guys. The first convoy meetup looks like its about 200 miles out so i'm thinking 1 Am departure from home at the latest.

FormerNewMVGuy

Yeah , my top speed is about 52 mph, my rear tires are are about 30% tread and i wont push my truck. My real average speed is probably more like 50 mph

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

With two of my sisters and Mom who used to live in Mass I know the best time for running through NYC is about 0300 I am not sure of your route down from Mass but it might be 95 to 80 and down.

Rickyoday

I think I might be better off in the Northbound serial, as I'm closer to I-83 than I am to I-78. That said, I'm still not sure what times and days I can attend yet. That will be finalized this weekend, then I'll post my intentions. I may tow my M1007 Suburban with the XM818 w/5th wheel wrecker. Rick

scooter01922

Armyman, i can only imagine the traffic around that city in the daylight, last time i was headed through there it had to be about midnight and it was still kinda congested. Thankfully i won't need to get any closer than the rest stop in jersey for the first leg of the convoy. Regardless its gonna be early so i'm sure it will be smooth sailing. Looks like 495 to 90 is going to be the straightest shot, them on to whatever it is thats the quickest for the last 50 or so to meet up with the group. This is gonna be fun :)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indiana is a LONG way from RC. But, that only proves your dedication!

I like the new location, closer to me, less time to drive to get to where I'm going. I average about 57 mph in the truck, plan on heading straight north on I-81, about 3 hours for me. 10am is a good meeting time.

No.2Diesel

-Thanks Rick for the correction. Hope ya' make it.

-Hey Scooter, City traffic ain't that bad :p Yeah I forget that its still a weekday and our meeting time in NJ is right before the peak of the morning commute.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*So does anyone in the Westbound GREEN Serial have any problem with the elimination of the Ono Rendesvous point? I'll revise tommorrow

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great news guys another wonderful group of collectors will also be there that weekend. The New Jersey Full Size Jeep club will be having their Fall Fling that weekend at the Creek. They are a good bunch so say hello for me and please don't run over any of them.

scooter01922

Traffic in a deuce isn't so bad....people seem to like to give you a bit of clearance just based on looks. Besides, the horn really seems to get them out of your way if needed. Somehow i think a convoy of them ought have no issues navigating even the worst traffic :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks