• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OHIO BMV Changed my Street Legal Title from Virginia to Off Road USE only

lnwlf2k

I know this thread is pretty old, but what is the latest situation in Ohio. I am looking at getting a HMMVW with a Pennsylvania on road title, not sure if the issues are still going on in Ohio and don't want to take a chance with a real expensive vehicle that i can't drive.

mturner2003

A bill was proposed and PASSED in December of 2018. It reads as follows...
  • S.B. 331/H.B. 710 allows for the titling of HMMWV (HUMVEES) as “historical motor vehicles”.
  • S.B. 331/H.B. 710 defines a HUMVEE as a high-mobility wheeled vehicle manufactured for military purposes.
Overview: Legislation (S.B. 331/H.B. 710) was introduced that allows for the titling of High-Mobility Multipurpose Vehicles as “historical motor vehicles”. “Historical motor vehicles” means a vehicle owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, but that in no event is used for general transportation.

Now, when I bought my Humvee in 2018 from Indiana, it came without a title. So, I registered it in VT. I have been driving it all over Ohio for the past 2 years without a problem. However, I live VERY rural and therefore am usually sight unseen. Any time I've ever been in a city and driven by, past or sit next to cops, usually give me thumbs up.

Anyway, I have not yet seen what the Ohio issued title will say. Like the OP, I'm curious if they will give me an Off-Road Title. My registration expires this month. I would like to get it registered here because with VT, they don't issue titles with anything over 25yo. By bringing it to Ohio, I will then have a physical title. I plan to sell it soon and think that will be a selling point.

I'll post what I find out next week.

Last edited:

vzv0n1

I don't find anything on the web that says it passed in 2019. I only find that it died in 2018. Can you share a link?

mturner2003

Yeah, thats the same one I saw. It shows introduced in June of 2018 but I don't think it was implemented. Other websites reported in Jan 2019 that it was shot down. I don't see anything specific about humvees in the ORC for historical vehicles.
No, it passed. Open the documents and review them.

vzv0n1

No, it passed. Open the documents and review them.
I downloaded the PDF of HB710 and skimmed through it. There are two ammended sections 4501.01 and 4503.181 that include Humvees. That's fantastic... but when I go to Ohio Revised Code website the changes are not there.

According to this website the status 12/5/18 was "Dead in Chamber" whatever that means

Last edited:

lnwlf2k

The changes were never made to the Ohio Revised Code because the bill never passsed the Senate, never got a vote. The House passed it, but without the Senate we are out of luck. I tried reaching out to the sponsors of the bill but never got an answer. Maybe if a few of us contact them they will take it up again. Going to try my luck with titling and licensing a HMMWV this Thursday after i get the out of state VIN check done. My vehicle is due in tonight, and i have a good Pennsylvania title. Wish me luck

vzv0n1

Going to try my luck with titling and licensing a HMMWV this Thursday after i get the out of state VIN check done. My vehicle is due in tonight, and i have a good Pennsylvania title. Wish me luck
That's exciting! Keep us posted on the title results. What's the process for the out of state VIN check?

lnwlf2k

Out of State Vin Check requires you to go to a car dealer or the BMV and having them fill out a form that verifies VIN number matches what is on the title. Obviously I am not going to roll into the BMV and have them do the VIN check, that would be suicide. The only thing that sucks is if i get shot down after getting the title and they won't plate it I already paid tax on it. If i take the other route I will have to pay tax again. This baby getting expensive

Haddy

I have a 1987 m998 that had a west virginia on road title and when I took it to the BMV they told me it had to be registered as a commercial vehicle. I told her no, its not a commercial vehicle and I want it titled as a regular vehicle. I went back to the title office and told them what I was told and they said it's not commercial and shouldn't be a problem. So I went back and got a different person this time and there was no problem. I never needed a vin inspection from a dealer. She just walked out and said that the 998 was cool and I showed her where the serial number was and boom all done. Maybe I just got lucky? I hope I don't get a recall one day. This was in Washington County, ohio.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not to be the party pooper... But with all the noise and static on this thread... some governmental "Karen's " behind the counter could be on the lookout.

Party on while it lasts, CAMO

Haddy

Good morning everyone, I just spoke with Senator Hoagland about HB710. He said he was not aware that the bill failed and swore that it passed. After confirming that it didn't get approved he said he would Reintroduce it immediately and get it pushed thru this time. I suppose we will wait and see what happens. Just wanted to drop an update.

ryanruck

Good morning everyone, I just spoke with Senator Hoagland about HB710. He said he was not aware that the bill failed and swore that it passed. After confirming that it didn't get approved he said he would Reintroduce it immediately and get it pushed thru this time. I suppose we will wait and see what happens. Just wanted to drop an update.
If you're able to speak with him again, rather than having them classified as historic vehicles, can you see if he can have the bill authored to just recognize them as motor vehicles? That's the sticking point with BMV. They will only recognize them as ORVs, not "motor vehicles".

Being labeled historic is great for just getting them on the road but carries a number of use restrictions and I *know* that even though the bill doesn't mandate they *only* be plated historical (just like any other classic car doesn't *need*to be plated historical), that's exactly the justification the BMV will use to limit them to just historical registration.

Unless he truly thinks labeling them historic is the only way to get them on the road and I'm off base on my thinking the BMV will use it as an excuse to mandate they be plated historical only.

Keep up the hard work! 👍🏼

vzv0n1

That sounds promising. I tried emailing Hoagland over a year ago requesting an update to HB710 and never got a response. Maybe you were more persistent than I was. ;-) Thanks for the update.

Haddy

I'll talk to him about that as soon as I get the chance. He told me that he wants me to come up to testify on the bilI but who knows if that will happen. I have an on-road title so I'm sure the BMV would love to know everything about me. if anyone has input I would love to hear it.

on a side note he did tell me that he restored a surplus willy's from the frame up and he's been enjoying it.

ryanruck

I'll talk to him about that as soon as I get the chance. He told me that he wants me to come up to testify on the bilI but who knows if that will happen. I have an on-road title so I'm sure the BMV would love to know everything about me. if anyone has input I would love to hear it.

on a side note he did tell me that he restored a surplus willy's from the frame up and he's been enjoying it.
Would be nice to not have to buy commercial tags for my 5 ton just because of the weight too. Just sayin'... :ROFLMAO:

This thread has been running so long I don't remember if any of it has been mentioned or not but, if you need any documentation from the NHTSA that they recognize the HMMWV as majority on road use, that it's built to MIL-STD-1108B specs which are designed to reflect FMVSS, that the BMV 3803 form allows changing an off road title to on road so long as a list of equipment requirements are met but the BMV refuses to recognize the form however can't demonstrate has been removed from use, or any other information I've amassed over the years, feel free to let me know and I'll pass along what I can.

dmetalmiki

So let me get this straight. You paid her to change the title? Why would you do that in the first place. When she said she was going to change it you should have walked out with your paperwork in hand.
That, is the most common sense thing do have done.
And, "No pay no change!).
I have cancelled many applications that were seemingly going T... up!.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A side note: A friend in Yuma, AZ bought a $600K diesel motorhome, registered it in Oregon for little $.

Got a ticket for being an AZ resident, driving it and not registering it in AZ. The plates woud've been in the thousands, so he paid the ticket in court.

When told to get it registered there, he refused and said "You can write me all the tickets you like, but only when I'm driving it on public roads. The $411 fine is nothing compared to your DMV fees".

Hmmm...

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks