• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil filter and fuel filter change

buck1013

My buddy is about to change the oil and filters in his deuce. Any advice would be appreciated. Maintaining your MV is such a vital part of ownership, there should be a forum for the topic.

I got air, oil, and fuel filters with gaskets all in a package from Desert Deuce Surplus recently. IIRC, they were about $115 shipped. I think they have an oil and fuel filter package too if you don't need the air filter.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get all the old gasket material out of the filter bases, use a torque wrench when installing or you will have a leak or shear the pin in the tube and don't let the cans turn while troqueing them. The gasket will be cut and you'll be taking the cans off again. Oh yeah, wait a half hour to pull the cans if the engine has been run. That gives the oil a bit of time to drain back and it won't be so messy.

deuceman51

My set includes the 2 oil filters, 2 secondary fuel, primary fuel, and the correct gaskets. Only thing it doesn't have is the small gasket for the top of the cannister. I always reuse that gasket myself. my cell is 605-661-2051. You can also email me at troykluthe@hotmail.com. Email is sometimes the best way to get ahold of me.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems based on my experience DO IT like Will Wagner below says and you will have an easy job with NO leaks when done, Deuceman51 set me straight on not letting the cannisters move when tightening them down, use a toque wrench and I believe the spec is 60 ft pounds on the oil side!
KK

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Get all the old gasket material out of the filter bases, use a torque wrench when installing or you will have a leak or shear the pin in the tube and don't let the cans turn while troqueing them. The gasket will be cut and you'll be taking the cans off again. Oh yeah, wait a half hour to pull the cans if the engine has been run. That gives the oil a bit of time to drain back and it won't be so messy.
All good advice. See: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/15029-i-think-i-broke-oil-filter-canister-bolt.html

Ord22

is changing the filters messy? is there a drain plug on the bottom of the filter housing somewhere to drain the oil before removing the filters?

deuceman51

Not too bad. I always put a rag on the inj. pump to catch some that will spill. Make sure to let your truck sit for about an hour to let the oil drain back to the crankcase. If you run the truck and pull the cannisters off right away, you will get about 4 qts of oil dumping out. Other than that, it's very simple and cheap to do. With any filter change, always watch your truck and filters after a change to look for any leaks. I always do this just to be safe and it's part of my PMCS everytime I start the truck up.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning All Troy you forgot to tell him to NOT let the cannisters rotate on the gasket when tightening!!! Its very true and I bring it up because Troy/Deuceman51 set me straight on that little bit of very important info when I did my first oil change on a Deuce, like Troy said it easy and pretty straight forward but let the truck sit for at least an hour before removing the cannisters or you will have a mess!!!
KK

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I stop spending on other hobbies :roll:, that will be my next thing to buy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all what do you think about spin on conversion???????
I've got them on my truck. I have noticed that although they do have the anti-drainback feature, if I let my truck set for a couple of weeks I still have to wait until the filters fill with oil for the oil pressure to come up. I'm figuring the valves that prevent drainback leak a little and will let the filters drain over time.

mdmorganwife

I got air, oil, and fuel filters with gaskets all in a package from Desert Deuce Surplus recently. IIRC, they were about $115 shipped. I think they have an oil and fuel filter package too if you don't need the air filter.
I also need a winch rebuild kit. Do you have one or know of anyone that does? I would like to have it fixed before the rally :driver: