• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil filter cans that retain oil?

oddshot

OK ... The front passage is 11/16". Also, an 11/16" drill fits in the hole as if it were the drill that made the hole.

Yesterday, I did NOT measure the rear hole, I didn't think that you would want that one, but now I see why you would.

That hole is 23/32 inch or about 1/32" larger than the front hole. I confirmed this measurement with a 11/16" drill bit as well.

Ted

rustystud

OK ... The front passage is 11/16". Also, an 11/16" drill fits in the hole as if it were the drill that made the hole.

Yesterday, I did NOT measure the rear hole, I didn't think that you would want that one, but now I see why you would.

That hole is 23/32 inch or about 1/32" larger than the front hole. I confirmed this measurement with a 11/16" drill bit as well.

Ted
It should still work. I went into town and talked with the guys at the Hydraulic supply store. They don't stock this item but there sister store does. After calling them I found out there is no way to order it until after Christmas.

welldigger

The only other option is a 3 PSI valve. I feel the weight of the fluid would overpower it. There would be no restriction to using a 15 PSI valve as the main pump pressure is over 100 PSI .
I would use the 3 psi valve. The oil in the cans doesn't weigh nearly enough to crack that valve when the engine is off.

For example if you have a 1ft column of fresh water at the base of your column you will have about 0.45 psi. So it would take a 6ft column of water to equal slightly less than 3 psi. Water is more dense than oil. Therefore it would take an even larger column of oil to equal 3 psi.

rustystud

But don't the filter bypass valves open at 15psi? I would think 10 would be better for this, maybe 5.
The filter bypass valve opens at a "Differential" pressure of 15 PSI. That means if the main pressure coming in is 100 PSI and the oil coming out of the filters (due to blockage) is only 85 PSI , then the bypass will open allowing the oil to "Bypass" the filters.
By having the check valves "crack pressure" at 15 PSI , allows the oil to remain in the filter housing without undue leakage. The higher the crack pressure, the more tightly the valve will seal.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a fan of oil filters that drain. Just think of an oil pan heater that will then heat all the oil for an easy start in the Winter without bypassing the filters, where the oil may otherwise be to viscous to flow. IMHO, the reason they were designed to drain in the first place.

welldigger

The filter bypass valve opens at a "Differential" pressure of 15 PSI. That means if the main pressure coming in is 100 PSI and the oil coming out of the filters (due to blockage) is only 85 PSI , then the bypass will open allowing the oil to "Bypass" the filters.
By having the check valves "crack pressure" at 15 PSI , allows the oil to remain in the filter housing without undue leakage. The higher the crack pressure, the more tightly the valve will seal.
Not always true. A 15 psi valve won't seal any better than the 3 psi valve. Also a 15 psi restriction upstream equals a much higher psi restriction at the oil pump. You may end up causing the oil pump bypass to open and starve the rest of the engine of oil.

rustystud

I'm a fan of oil filters that drain. Just think of an oil pan heater that will then heat all the oil for an easy start in the Winter without bypassing the filters, where the oil may otherwise be to viscous to flow. IMHO, the reason they were designed to drain in the first place.
Cranetruck, no one is forcing you to have quicker oil pressure. If you like the old way of 3 to 5 seconds of no oil that's your right as an American.

Last edited:

welldigger

When you add a restriction upstream from a pump the pressure gets greater the closer you get to the pump.

A 15 psi valve isn't going to seal closed any better than a 3 psi valve. It just takes more pressure to open it.

What I'm getting at is there's no need to over do it on the opening pressure of the check valve. Your just adding restriction to the oil flow.

rustystud

When you add a restriction upstream from a pump the pressure gets greater the closer you get to the pump.

A 15 psi valve isn't going to seal closed any better than a 3 psi valve. It just takes more pressure to open it.

What I'm getting at is there's no need to over do it on the opening pressure of the check valve. Your just adding restriction to the oil flow.
In a hydraulic system, the pressure is the same anywhere along the line until after you pass a restriction. As the pump puts out over 100 PSI, the 15 PSI crack pressure is nothing. The spring pulling the valve closed is stronger in the 15 PSI then in the 3 PSI, thus making a better seal. If you want a 3 PSI valve you can buy one. As for me I'm going with the 15 PSI valve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks