• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil pressure gauge

cbvet

One of my trucks is showing low oil pressure. Don't know why.
I know some of you have changed to a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
Is there a mechanical gauge that fits the panel alright?
What will I need to connect to the engine?
I'm not at home, so I can't look at the truck, but I'd like to pick up the parts while I'm on the road.
Assistance appreciated!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has it been showing low oil pressure ever since you've had it? It could be a wrong gauge/sender combo. Check to see if you've got a 120 or 60psi gauge and then make sure your sender matches. You may have to scrape some paint but all the senders I've seen had the psi stamped on it.

tm america

thanks for the info didnt know the senders were different . you could verify it with a hand held gauge to be sure to. at least then youll know if its the gauge or the motor:roll:i use a set of transmission gauges to check this

Divemaster920

Banned
I used Boatcarpenter's idea and hard plumbed a guage in. It is 1/4 IPS threads at the block.
When I get a 120# sender, I will change it back.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Isn't the air pressure gauge usable as an oil pressure gauge? Just plumb it in with hard line.

cbvet

Okay, I got a chance to pull the Deuce inside & work on it. Sure enough, 60# gauge & 120# sending unit.
I'm guessing that could explain the low readings I've been getting? Is that what others have found?
Warmed up, I get about 10 at idle & 25 at 2000 RPM. My other Deuce will show 25 at idle & 45 at speed.

tm america

10 at idle is within spec for these motors 25 at 2000rpm would be low .thats crazy they did that on these trucks being they wanted inter changabilty .posts like this are very helpful to open our eyes to some of the things they did that you wouldnt normally think of:?:

jfnemt1ff1

IOM I went to napa and got an fter markert gauge set up fit perfet in the gauge manal no problem. I replaced the 12v bulb with a 24 one and now at night you an see it great. went with the manual gauge run the tubing eveeything you need for a good job.
John

poof

Dirty Hippie
Okay, I got a chance to pull the Deuce inside & work on it. Sure enough, 60# gauge & 120# sending unit.
I'm guessing that could explain the low readings I've been getting? Is that what others have found?
Warmed up, I get about 10 at idle & 25 at 2000 RPM. My other Deuce will show 25 at idle & 45 at speed.

I had the same thing.. and the 60 psi guage dosnt show much with a 120 psi sending unit..

Just changed out the 120 sending unit from mine Yesterday... all is great now.
60 at start up and running. 30+ at idol warm.
thank you Divemaster920 .:grin:

cbvet

Sending unit is on the passenger side, towards the rear of the engine. I couldn't read the pressure rating with it installed, so I removed the air filter bowl to get to it.
Mine was very tight.
Good luck!

Green_gator

When I replaced mine I found that it was much easier to get at it from the cab. Had to remove a few screws to take the front piece of metal out over the transmission but it made replacement a snap.

cbvet

Green_gator
You're probably right about it being easier to get at the oil sending unit by removing the forward trans tunnel cover. Could get better leverage too.
I had the air filter out, as I was working on my under dash heater. And I really didn't expect it to be so tight!

JL628

I Just started to check out my 2 Dueces I got from Govliquidation. On one, on start up, the oil pressure seems to be ok. Its also kind of hard to start and you have to press on the throttle to get it to start up. Anyhow, after it runs for a while and warms up, the oil pressure slowly starts to drop. Even stepping on the throttle does nothing to the oil pressure gauge when its warmed up. By then, the gauge is reading almost 0 psi. It seems to run well enough without excessive engine noise. No noises I would consider abnormal either. I'm hoping this is a gauge problem and not a worn motor.
Any one have an opinion on this?

jatonka

JL628, You might want to go to Napa or Advance Auto or Auto Zone and buy a 2" manual oil pressure gauge, it comes with the fitting and tubing you will need. Install it and see if you havean oil pressure problem. It will put your mind at ease if all is well. JT out

Westex

I Just started to check out my 2 Dueces I got from Govliquidation. On one, on start up, the oil pressure seems to be ok. Its also kind of hard to start and you have to press on the throttle to get it to start up. Anyhow, after it runs for a while and warms up, the oil pressure slowly starts to drop. Even stepping on the throttle does nothing to the oil pressure gauge when its warmed up. By then, the gauge is reading almost 0 psi. It seems to run well enough without excessive engine noise. No noises I would consider abnormal either. I'm hoping this is a gauge problem and not a worn motor.
Any one have an opinion on this?
You need to check this out. Don't run it blind. This exact same thing happened to me and it turned out to be my injector pump was "making oil" and thinning out my engine oil, thereby losing oil pressure. Check your oil level asap. If it's way up on the dipstick, suspect a diesel leak into your crankcase oil. Smell your oil, if you smell diesel this also confirms the "making oil" condition.
If you confirm a making oil condition, then look at the posts on "bypass fdc". This is the fuel density compensator. It leaks much more often than the injector pump. What I did was bypass the fdc, dump my contaminated oil, and see what happened. I was unlucky; the injector pump leaked like a sieve and had to be rebuilt. This was easily confirmed by seeing the oil rise on the dipstick after the fdc bypass. Check out the threads on reading dipstick level, also, it varies greatly checking a cold engine versus a hot one, and other variables.

Then again, having said all of this, it could very well be a sending unit or guage. I went the long way around the barn on this response, just be aware of what it could be. Again, I would emphasize not to run the engine without KNOWING what your oil pres. is.