• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pressure regulator

Odyssey M

Thanks for the diagram, didn't even know I had one. :shock:

I guess when I'm retired, kids out of the house, wife off my butt, sick family dead, broken cars fixed, house repaired, and raining outside I will be able to devote all my spare time to memorization of the TM's ;-)
I second that! Forum inputs sure do help from time to time...

daytonatrbo

Digging up this old thread as I have the same issue. Passenger side of the block glistens with oil, all stemming from the regulator.

Is there anything complicated about the gasket? I'm not afraid to cut one out, I just need to know if I'll need a box cutter, or an exacto knife.

welldigger

Digging up this old thread as I have the same issue. Passenger side of the block glistens with oil, all stemming from the regulator.

Is there anything complicated about the gasket? I'm not afraid to cut one out, I just need to know if I'll need a box cutter, or an exacto knife.
I'd use some black or grey 1 minute rtv and be done with it.

rustystud

I'd use some black or grey 1 minute rtv and be done with it.
Remember your dealing with over 100psi coming into this unit. I would just make up a new gasket. That way you know it will not be blowing out anytime soon.
I had an older IHC Loadstar 1800 that had a 392 cid engine. The filter housing is on the drivers side towards the front of the engine. It developed a leak and I didn't have a gasket so I used some RTV instead. Now this is just the filter housing so the pressure is only around 30-40 psi. I blew out the RTV in just a few miles ! What a mess !!! I then went and got the correct gasket and now it will work great for 20 more years . Don't get me wrong, RTV has it's place but that place is not where your sealing high pressure oil !

Last edited:

welldigger

Remember your dealing with over 100psi coming into this unit. I would just make up a new gasket. That way you know it will not be blowing out anytime soon.
I had an older IHC Loadstar 1800 that had a 392 cid engine. The filter housing is on the drivers side towards the front of the engine. It developed a leak and I didn't have a gasket so I used some RTV instead. Now this is just the filter housing so the pressure is only around 30-40 psi. I blew out the RTV in just a few miles ! What a mess !!! I then went and got the correct gasket and then it worked great for 20 more years . Don't get me wrong, RTV has it's place but that place is not where your sealing high pressure oil !
That may have happened 20 years ago. Rtv like everything else has come a long way.

If you want the pinnacle of rtv sealants go to your local Honda dealership and get a tube of hondabond. You can just about use this stuff for a head gasket.

I have used rtv to seal pipe flanges and head gaskets on my mud pump. If it can handle 200 psi with pressure spikes at 400+ then the oil regulator will be fine.

Last edited:

rustystud

That may have happened 20 years ago. Rtv like everything else has come a long way.

If you want the pinnacle of rtv sealants go to your local Honda dealership and get a tube of hondabond. You can just about use this stuff for a head gasket.

I have used rtv to seal pipe flanges and head gaskets on my mud pump. If it can handle 200 psi with pressure spikes at 400+ then the oil regulator will be fine.
That was just 3 years ago. Remember the surface area of the housing is not that much. Head gaskets have large areas of contact as do pipe joints. Your looking at less then 1/4" of contact here.
I had to correct my previous post. I meant to say "it will now last another 20 more years."
Sorry Welldigger.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not buy a new gasket?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found it with the search for M 35a2 oil pressure regulator gasket on my phone and less than one minute $12 at TnJ Murray has a lot easier than posting the reply

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks