• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Sampling and analasys.

SMOKEWAGON66

Oil Sampling and analysis.

Taking oil samples and having it analyzed by a laboratory.

Has anyone here ever done this? I want to give a sample of my engine oil to a lab and have it analyzed to see if theres anything going wrong inside the motor without having to tear it apart to look. I think I found some metal filings in the oil (not exactly sure) and Im hoping its nothing. Any info on this would be appreciated. I already took a sample through the AOAP spout on the left side of the engine so....all I'm looking for is laboratories or companies to check out for the actual analysis.

(search friendly title and first sentence [thumbzup] )

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA

Do an advanced search in the deuce forum for oil sample analysis.

SMOKEWAGON66

NAPA

Do an advanced search in the deuce forum for oil sample analysis.

...yah i tried searching for oil analysis several different ways. It brought up nothing. No results. Im all for the search button DH, but everytime I do it, it never brings up what I need. Thats why i started this thread. :beer:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I just posted that because I know we have discussed it a few times. Even posted reports from tests.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I just did exactly what I posted(in post#2) and I got 16 search results. Several threads titles were obviously what you want.

So, reread what I posted and do an advanced search(bottom left of the main page).

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just noticed your spelling error in the title. That would be your issue with the search results, I bet! try it spelling it correctly (as I posted).

when in doubt, google the word, and see if it comes up with what you think it should

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to start with a baseline for the analysis to be any good. The tests reveal trends of whats happening to your oil. I don't think one test is going to tell you much, unless it is extremely high in metals, meaning bearings and such. We've used analysis for years offshore and we always start with an analysis at the first oil change.

Good Luck finding what you want!

SMOKEWAGON66

I just noticed your spelling error in the title. That would be your issue with the search results....
Fixed that..thanks. I shall try searching with that too. As you said above I know theres been many issues with search and new thread deal...I really try to search before i post. Im 100% with you on this :beer:

You really need to start with a baseline for the analysis to be any good. The tests reveal trends of whats happening to your oil. I don't think one test is going to tell you much, unless it is extremely high in metals, meaning bearings and such. We've used analysis for years offshore and we always start with an analysis at the first oil change.

Yes, I know there should be a good baseline to start on with these things, and I wish I had started it long ago....but the issue is, I think I see metal in the oil, so I just want a reading on how much metal there is, and what kinds of metals. I will more then likely do another sample after the next OC as well so...we shall see what becomes of it. Thanks.

plym49

Coincidentally, I just did my first oil change on my Deuce and I took an oil sample for testing. I was going to get the NAPA kit but my local guy had to order it. I found that I could get oil test kits from Amazon for under $6.00 each with free shipping (I have Amazon Prime). The kits arrived no problem, I took a clean catch sample and the I will be sending the sample off this week.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

True, but like you suggest, abnormalities don't need a baseline for comparison. Coolant, fuel or excessive amounts of soot in the oil can be included.
I have used the NAPA kit several times.

PS. If you want good results when searching, use Google and add "steelsoldiers" to your keywords.

Last edited:

jasonjc

WIX's has a kit #24077, it gets you a sample bottle and a mailer to send it off to the lab. The cost of the kit includes the lab fees.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blackstone Labs has been the way to go with me. They send me free kits so I'm not sure why yall bother buying them from NAPA or amazon. Just request a few kits from them. :beer:

cluless

A subject I know a little about. This is how the test is done. First I am suprised that they don't want a virgin sample of the oil you use. That is the baseline. They take the virgin sample and your sample from the crankcase and dilute them with xylene. They frist run the virgin sample to see what is in the sample. The instrument that is usaully used is called an inductively couple slasma spectrometer. After they have the metals results from the virgin oil, they then run the crankcase oil. The results are usually reported in parts per million or in some cases parts per billion. As time goes on and the engine wears the metal results will climb. Most oil companies have limits to these results and will pull the engine before it blows.

plym49

A subject I know a little about. This is how the test is done. First I am suprised that they don't want a virgin sample of the oil you use. That is the baseline. They take the virgin sample and your sample from the crankcase and dilute them with xylene. They frist run the virgin sample to see what is in the sample. The instrument that is usaully used is called an inductively couple slasma spectrometer. After they have the metals results from the virgin oil, they then run the crankcase oil. The results are usually reported in parts per million or in some cases parts per billion. As time goes on and the engine wears the metal results will climb. Most oil companies have limits to these results and will pull the engine before it blows.
When you submit the sample, you also fill out a form. The questions include what type of oil was in there. I suppose that they use this information as part of their baseline since the lab probably has all the baseline samples they would ever need.

plym49

WIX's has a kit #24077, it gets you a sample bottle and a mailer to send it off to the lab. The cost of the kit includes the lab fees.
That's the one I got from Amazon - something like $5.77 each and, as stated somewhere else, that is a total price. So either the kit is free and the charge is for the test, or vice versa, whatever floats your boat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks