• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK... I admit it... that first step in the M925A1 is a Bit%$ .. what have others done

scootertrs

I don't quite see the ... even make it a 2 stage step with very little extra work (first step folds down then other folds down from 1st) - The gap would help the "hooking your foot on the way down problem" I still would have to draw it out - basically draw a circle with the length (radius) intended, estimating the desired drop we would want and then seeing how much longer it would have to be so we dont bust our shins on the step as we come down... or worse... bust our a$# if we slip off . I see a lot of potential.

I was thinking it would stick out or maybe even start with a small gap between the top of it and the bottom of stock step (would still only hang down 3" or so if it had a 2" gap) and then have something like a 10" travel giving you a 12" drop total which would almost half the distance required for the step up, nice part is you could play with different length cables pretty easy to get it to a height you like or even make it a 2 stage step with very little extra work (first step folds down then other folds down from 1st)

350TacoZilla

well I may beat you to drawing it up as I plan something similar for my 923 so both my wife and myself can get in easier (plan on 16r20's also so it will be up even farther than is now on 11r20's)

nlauffer

Here is a picture of the ladder step. Although it is not the same brand or company I bought it from.slide_away_ladder.jpg
When not in use, it slides away and clips in tight.

scootertrs

Thank you, Price is not too bad. I like them. I would like a little more info. can you provide a source? That bed definitely calls for something like this.

That spring step looks pretty cool.

The cable steps I purchased were $90 each. And the slide out ladder step was $125.

nlauffer

The steps I purchased from a local vendor in Pratt, KS called 54 Pickup. I believe they get them from Buyers Products out of Cleveland, OH. I called 54 Pickup and that is the name they gave me. The step is not mounted to the truck yet, but I will get pictures when it is.

scootertrs

Thank you for the heads up. one pair of the cable steps already on order and one of the retractable 3 rung steps for the bed. Now I should be able to get in the bed without opening the tailgate.

The steps I purchased from a local vendor in Pratt, KS called 54 Pickup. I believe they get them from Buyers Products out of Cleveland, OH. I called 54 Pickup and that is the name they gave me. The step is not mounted to the truck yet, but I will get pictures when it is.

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

The cable step is a nice variation of the stirrup. I take it that the retractible works by picking up the bottom rung and pushing the ladder portion under the bed, correct?

Steve

scootertrs

ok rear step is in

The rear retractable is in... works just fine on the M925A1. Rear x-over frame member rubs on the step when retracted, but I can live with that. May put a piece of rubber mat or tire tube stuck to the frame to help, but not now. here are the pics...rear steps 4.JPGrear steps 3.JPGrear steps 2.jpgrear steps 1.jpg

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Yep it is a problem for all of us old - short folks. I got a couple of Caterpillar heavy equipment steps a year ago or so and it is about time I put them on I guess. A flexible step is common on heavy equipment. These steps I have are mounted with two pieces of a heavy conveyor belt type of material. The steps are 14 inches wide. The belt material is 1/2 inch thick and needs to be trimmed to 4 inches in width. I will put the step about 14 inches down from the top of the first step on the truck (M931A2).

Here is a pic of what I did with my M8109 truck. I used only one bolt on each end of the iron drop piece so the step can move from front to back should it snag on something.

truck step 2013-02-18 007.jpgtruck step 2013-02-18 009.jpgtruck step 2013-02-18 011.jpg

Attachments

goldneagle

Yep it is a problem for all of us old - short folks. I got a couple of Caterpillar heavy equipment steps a year ago or so and it is about time I put them on I guess. A flexible step is common on heavy equipment. These steps I have are mounted with two pieces of a heavy conveyor belt type of material. The steps are 14 inches wide. The belt material is 1/2 inch thick and needs to be trimmed to 4 inches in width. I will put the step about 14 inches down from the top of the first step on the truck (M931A2).

Here is a pic of what I did with my M8109 truck. I used only one bolt on each end of the iron drop piece so the step can move from front to back should it snag on something.

View attachment 411391View attachment 411394View attachment 411393
Looks good from a distance. Any chance I can see some close up pictures of your work?

scootertrs

BTW, I like the steps maccus is showing better than the ones I have. (but mine are already paid for, installed and scratched up... so they stay) but being fair, the ones maccus shows, with the belting, is going to be a lot more flexible than mine (made out of 1 1/4 inch steel cable) and will give more if they hit an obstruction, so if I was to do it over, I would go his way. Good job.

View attachment 411391View attachment 411394View attachment 411393

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Got the drivers side step done today. The shinny sheen on the paint is cause the CARC primer I use is not totally dry. Were I to do this again I would still use a belt mount. But rather than fabricate the step I would just buy this one. Probably would be cheaper in the long run. And I like the fact that this step comes out further to the outside and is a deeper step to boot. Live and learn.

http://www.buyersproducts.com/truck-trailer-hardware/steps/flexible-steps/Flexible-Step/1485/

5231112.jpg

step today 2013-02-19 001.jpgstep today 2013-02-19 002.jpgstep today 2013-02-19 003.jpgstep today 2013-02-19 004.jpgstep today 2013-02-19 005.jpg

Last edited: