• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK, I'm done!!!

hdexpert

Was having trouble starting the deuce, got worse, took lots of cranking and pedal feathering. Changed all filters, in tank pump works well, looked for leaks, kinked lines-nothing!! So with some consultation from those who know we decided I needed to replace the hydraulic head. Got a rebuilt unit from a friend, installed it-same issue. Took it out, timed everything correctly-same issue. Loosened all lines at the injectors, cranked it over and fuel just dribbles out. So I did some more calling to the ones who know about this stuff and we thought maybe the HH was faulty. Installed another rebuilt unit, same issues. Talked to Gimp today and decided we need to replace the IP. My questions are what goes wrong inside the IP that would cause low line pressure and being a LDS do I need to replace the IP with a LDS IP? I'm at my wit's end and it's getting cold here!! Any ideas???:oops:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I D 10 T error! You have to be smarter than what your working on to be able to fix it. hehe

I'll have an IP for you shortly.

JDToumanian

Have you checked the booster pump on the side of the IP? It's the little gear pump that the fuel lines go in and out of.... Fuel lines between that and the hydraulic head should be around 60psi if I recall correctly....

If that's okay, it probably is something in the injector pump body, there's plenty that can fail in there..... FDC, governor, etc...

hdexpert

Nope

Have you checked the booster pump on the side of the IP? It's the little gear pump that the fuel lines go in and out of.... Fuel lines between that and the hydraulic head should be around 60psi if I recall correctly....

If that's okay, it probably is something in the injector pump body, there's plenty that can fail in there..... FDC, governor, etc...
I haven't checked that JD. Talked to lots of people that said if the HH was getting fuel then the fuel pump should be fine. If the HH is getting fuel but the pressure is low would the output from the HH to the injectors be so low that the fuel would just dribble out of the line when cranking the motor over?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel problem! One of my biggest lessons in mechanics, when I was a Kid with my first jeep.... I was telling an "Old Guy" what it wasn't doing, why it wasn't running and what I had done, which I thought was everything. He said, if you did all that, it runs..... Then he said - you missed something!

Maybe you did this - Crack the bleeder on the secondary filters w/switch on. Fuel should GUSH out of that. So much that it will make a mess on the shop floor/drive way, by the time you get the air out. Just because you can hear it running, DOESN'T mean its pumping. My fuel pressure there is 20 psi. If you don't have lots of fuel there, it will give you EXACTLY the same symptoms that you describe.

Good Luck Lee

hdexpert

OK

Fuel problem! One of my biggest lessons in mechanics, when I was a Kid with my first jeep.... I was telling an "Old Guy" what it wasn't doing, why it wasn't running and what I had done, which I thought was everything. He said, if you did all that, it runs..... Then he said - you missed something!

Maybe you did this - Crack the bleeder on the secondary filters w/switch on. Fuel should GUSH out of that. So much that it will make a mess on the shop floor/drive way, by the time you get the air out. Just because you can hear it running, DOESN'T mean its pumping. My fuel pressure there is 20 psi. If you don't have lots of fuel there, it will give you EXACTLY the same symptoms that you describe.

Good Luck Lee
I bled the secondary filters and got a pint of fuel out in 15-20 seconds. Where do I hook up a gauge to measure pressure? Maybe I'll pull my in tank pump tomorrow and take a look for partial blockage.

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

Dont feel bad, I sat and for hours tried to figure out why I didnt get any fuel pressure. I tested the fuel pump, the current to the pump, and fuel filters to make sure they were not clogging it..... Stupid me forgot about the simple little fuse inside the top of the fuel pump casing. Yup a stupid little fuse kicked my butt for hours. I think I even scratched my head so hard and long I made a dent and a blad spot. lol

So kick back and dont think about it. Then what ever is wrong will out of nowhere come to you.

hdexpert

pump

Dont feel bad, I sat and for hours tried to figure out why I didnt get any fuel pressure. I tested the fuel pump, the current to the pump, and fuel filters to make sure they were not clogging it..... Stupid me forgot about the simple little fuse inside the top of the fuel pump casing. Yup a stupid little fuse kicked my butt for hours. I think I even scratched my head so hard and long I made a dent and a blad spot. lol

So kick back and dont think about it. Then what ever is wrong will out of nowhere come to you.
I can hear my in tank pump running but never thought that it might only be pumping half what it should be. Will be looking into that tomorrow. Anyone know what PSI I should be getting on top of the secondary filters?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my lift pump output, is a 1/8 NPT plug that I use, but Gimp's note works too. The volume you speak of, does sound adequate. I guess I would check it a little more though, because its far cheaper and easier to replace then the IP. Another thing about that lift pump is that the magnetic drive from the motor to pump, can slip/not pump. Maybe after you check the pressure, screw a small hose barb & hose in that bleeder and pump out a whole gallon of fuel. Its easy and then you'll be sure.

Lee

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if you crack the lines at the injectors, and crank it, it does little more than dribble out, as there will be no pressure. now just because you have replaced the HH 3 times does NOT mean you have a good one. where have you been getting them?? there is a very good reason some things are surplus and just because they are new does NOT mean they work. if you have ANY pressure at the sec filter and it does not inject, you have a bad HH.

here is a simple test. take one of the HH you have and remove the plunger. look at it closely, if it is anything other than shiney and smooth, it is bad. hold the plunger in your fingers for 10 seconds and then try to put it back in the bore. if it goes in, it is bad. if it will not go in until it cools down, it should be ok.

tom

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a stupid thought, have you opened up the fuel shut off cover to see if the thing is stuck partially closed? It could be open enough to flow fuel for you to view at the IP head but not enough fuel to run the machine. Many problems can be associated with that area of the pump. It's a simple process to check out. Oh, by the way, is the fender off? If not, don't you wish you had taken it off at the first hint of problems? When my junk develops fuel issues at the IP, the fender is the first thing to go. My back needs the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks