• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK, I'm done!!!

hdexpert

Tom,

The HH are new GL surplus, stamped rebuilt by Ambac. The guy I got them from has sold many and all have been fine. The HH that was originally in the truck was doing the exact same thing.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure! I thought that my 20 psi was too much after I replaced the pump, but I have a summers work on the truck. The pump I put in looked the same, (it was new), but came from a different vehicle type, salvaged vehicle. Gimp's value sounds good too, but see how it pumps. Another thought. I put this new pump on my old suspension. In the process, I measured how high it was off the bottom - thought it was higher then need be, so I lowered it to just clear the bottom, to more efficiently use the tanks capacity. Just make sure you have plenty of fuel in the tank & covering the pump.

hdexpert

yep

Here's a stupid thought, have you opened up the fuel shut off cover to see if the thing is stuck partially closed? It could be open enough to flow fuel for you to view at the IP head but not enough fuel to run the machine. Many problems can be associated with that area of the pump. It's a simple process to check out. Oh, by the way, is the fender off? If not, don't you wish you had taken it off at the first hint of problems? When my junk develops fuel issues at the IP, the fender is the first thing to go. My back needs the help.
Kenny,

Are you talking about the cover with 4 screws on the side of the IP? The one that's below and behind the HH? If so, I've had that off and one a dozen times, all seems fine in that area. Haven't taken the fender off yet since she's very old with flat fenders and lots of room to work!! Would be a bit easier I'm sure!!

hdexpert

full tanl

Not sure! I thought that my 20 psi was too much after I replaced the pump, but I have a summers work on the truck. The pump I put in looked the same, (it was new), but came from a different vehicle type, salvaged vehicle. Gimp's value sounds good too, but see how it pumps. Another thought. I put this new pump on my old suspension. In the process, I measured how high it was off the bottom - thought it was higher then need be, so I lowered it to just clear the bottom, to more efficiently use the tanks capacity. Just make sure you have plenty of fuel in the tank & covering the pump.
My tank is full of wmo, gas, diesel. kero and a few other burnables!! Wonder if my concoction made the intank work too hard and weakened it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
rebuilt by ambac? i have seen several that were bad. they are surplus BECAUSE they are bad!! surplus or NOS does not mean it will work. take it apart and do my test. also what is in your tank is what lubes the HH, and it can wear out in a matter of a few minutes with the wrong fuel.

tom

Last edited:

littlebob

Just something to think about, now that you've changed these parts you may run into a situation where
you find the problem and now it still won't work, because you changed these parts. Is it still running with the changed parts?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I grown..... For the purpose of trouble shooting, I would get an electric fuel pump & five gallons of straight #2 fuel to do the procedures discussed, for tomorrow. Just disconnect the output line from the tank and put an hose on it, to the fuel pump, etc. If the above mixture is in your filters, I would change the filters again, but blow the lines out first with air. Your trying to eliminate variables. Is the fuel/WMO, etc., mixed? Maybe you have a slug of WMO in the line and or in the Fuel Density Compensator. If it was me, I'd just want clean fuel to get that Girl running. Here in the North, heavy fuel can drive you nuts when its cold - it gels...... not worth the heartburn!

hdexpert

yep

I grown..... For the purpose of trouble shooting, I would get an electric fuel pump & five gallons of straight #2 fuel to do the procedures discussed, for tomorrow. Just disconnect the output line from the tank and put an hose on it, to the fuel pump, etc. If the above mixture is in your filters, I would change the filters again, but blow the lines out first with air. Your trying to eliminate variables. Is the fuel/WMO, etc., mixed? Maybe you have a slug of WMO in the line and or in the Fuel Density Compensator. If it was me, I'd just want clean fuel to get that Girl running. Here in the North, heavy fuel can drive you nuts when its cold - it gels...... not worth the heartburn!
The fuel is mixed with quite a bit of gas and kero so it's pretty thin. My FDC is bypassed so all is good there. Would like to try the diesel/pump idea. Maybe I can borrow one from my bro Kipman.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My tank is full of wmo, gas, diesel. kero and a few other burnables!! Wonder if my concoction made the intank work too hard and weakened it.
Personally i'd drain all that crap and fill with straight diesel. Put it back in later. I'm also guessing there is air somewhere. HH is another thing, install a known good one.

Josh

Quick question also, Is there a way to actully test the pressure of each injector line? I know the PSI's are suppose to be something crazy high, so a regular pressure gauge is out. But I'm just curious, and that should be the easyest way to see if a HH is putting out enough pressure.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if fuel comes out all lines at injectors and it does not inject = low pressure = bad HH

another thing that will happen with a bad HH is that if you tow the truck so the engine will turn at over 1500 - 2000 rpm it will probably run but not idle.

tom

Varyag

Quick question also, Is there a way to actully test the pressure of each injector line? I know the PSI's are suppose to be something crazy high, so a regular pressure gauge is out. But I'm just curious, and that should be the easyest way to see if a HH is putting out enough pressure.
Engine still getting full oil pressure before she fires?

Josh

Yep, I just ordered a new set of injector lines cause one of mine developed a leak a little while ago, hopefully it will make the difference.

deathrowdave

A small drop of fuel at the injector still means a bad HH .(aprox. 2500 psi to open the injector from its seat) fuel should spray out . Be sure to check the fuel shut off has not broken or slipped must be fully open.Be very careful when working on the outlet of HH when it is operating correctly very high pressure present!! Have a great and safe day,Dave

hdexpert

I'm getting a bit confused here. When cranking the engine over what PSI should I have at the injector? I know the HH creates lots of PSI but not till the engine is running I would assume. What's the acceptable range the injectors pop at? Guess I'll read the TM again, for the 10th time!!!:mad:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call Gimpy this am and ask him about doing the Q tip test. Just a thought.