• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK to re-use timing gear bolt?

Asmoday

Is it OK to re-use the timing sprocket bolt that goes thru the IP gear and timing sprocket into the camshaft?

I picked a new one up at GM for a possible timing gear swap but after checking the bolt it was determined that it's Chinese made...:mad:

I got a new washer as well which is US made but I'm not sure if I should re-use the timing sprocket bolt as it has a fairly high torque spec...75 Ib.-ft. for a 10mm x 1.5 pitch bolt.

Opinions..?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like a lot of torque for a 10mm. Might want to verify that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The general torque chart in the TM says 40 or 48 ft/lbs, depending on grade (9.8 or 10.9)

Last edited:

Asmoday

I did "verify that". That is why I'm asking the question. That torque spec is from the TM. And where in the TM does it actually say to replace the bolt? I could not find it?

I know what general torque specs are for metric bolts as I have been working with titanium hardware and anti-seize for years on my race bikes and was forced to pay very close attention to such things...

Hence...my question on this application...See the TM below...

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did see that also.

I don't have a good answer.

Are you using the bolt or an installer tool to reinstall it?

Maybe look at a civilian manual to see what they list.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GM service manual says 200 ft/lbs.

Asmoday

doghead thanks for the reply...

I'm not sure that I will even need to do the gears yet. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start the tear down today. If the timing chain in within spec I probably won't touch it.

I would be using a installer kit with bearing, washer etc. I'm not a big fan of using the bolts to press back on.

My only other related question on the gears is I will obviously have to remove the IP gear on the pump so I can get the timing cover off to reseal...

There are 3 bolts that hold that gear on and they are made with washers already on them . Their torque spec seems high as well at 30 ft/lbs....41nm.

NO one has these bolts in stock locally and I'm not in a position to wait a week. They have a integral washer on them which bring up the same question...

Can I reuse the 3 IP bolts that hold the gear onto the IP? I cannot find anywhere it says to replace them but again...30 ft/lbs sounds high for a 8mm / 1.25 pitch bolt...???

I wish I had a factory GM manual but I don't....

Asmoday

Doghead....I think you misunderstood. I know the damper/crankshaft bolt is 200ft/lbs. and I do have a new one for that.

I'm talking about the bolt that goes thru the lower IP gear and camshaft timing sprocket into the Camshaft.....

as well as the 3 bolts that mount the upper IP gear to the injector pump.

The torque specs seem high on those bolts related to their dia. and pitch. and I don't see the TM saying to replace them.

I definitely will have to pull the IP gear off the injector pump and will be forced to reuse those since they are not available locally....

200in-lbs would only be 16.7 ft-lbs...that does not make sense...

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would reuse the 3 bolts.

Asmoday

Thanks doghead...:)

I found my old Chilton manual and the torque specs coincide for the most part. IP gears, mounting the pump etc.

On the camshaft bolt the Chilton manual says 65ft/lbs. / 88nm so the TM lists the camshaft timing sprocket bolt at 10 ft/lbs. more....not sure why...

Is there anything wrong with using a drop of blue Loctite on the 3 IP gear bolts when I put them back in for good measure?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see no problem with that.