• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Older Humvee Cannot ID

ClarkeF

Its white smoke, we have only driven it a mile or so, mostly idled in shop. I would say it is smoking excessively. We have just drained the old fuel and replaced the filter today and will start it shortly and see what it does. Yes I wasnt going to get the pump rebuilt just yet, was going to try everything else first. On the numbers, we found a place on the windshield frame where a tag was (right in front of the steering wheel) but it has been removed. Havent found out if the owner has a title yet. We did find numbers on the frame rails at the rear, on the left is: 80A87 and on the right: 111A87. Will post results of new fuel and filter change. Will also try with Bully Dog and post that. Thanks for your help.
Sorry for the delay - forgot I had asked questions and I didn't check back.

White smoke is either coolant in the piston's, or unburned fuel. If the smoke continue more than a few minutes then there is some kind of problem. Unburned fuel can be from an injection pump, inject, bad glow plug / glow-plug circuit, or low compression in a piston.

The frame rail numbers are indicative of 1987 build rails - so your truck is probably a 1987 or early 1988 build.

Look for a serial number on the outside of the windshield frame on the A-beam which the windshield frame is mounted to. Open the hood, on the drivers side look at the base of the windshield, right above the flat area that holds some wires and a module for controlling your fan clutch - your looking for six digits embossed into the a-beam (no plate) starting with zero's. I'll go out and take a picture of mine tomorrow.

Cheers,

Clarke

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This is an example of what you are looking for. This is a serial number and registration number for a 1987 M998: 41118 NG2XFU

acmunro

Hello, As far as the white smoke - I had a 6.2 diesel in a pickup that had not been driven on the road for about 10 years- When I put it on the road it smoked at idle so bad you could not stand to be around it. That was with a clean tank and all new fuel. I trailered it to an inspection shop for a safety inspection,
(they didn't give me any hastles about the smoke). When I started to drive it home you couldn't see cars behind you in the mirror. I thought I had major problems and might not make it home (25 mi) After the first good size hill (about 7 miles) engine working hard the smoke cleared up. Two years later and about 30,000 miles still running good - also the truck had 240,000 miles at the time I put it back on the road. Just my 2cents.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exUSMC (or is it former USMC) humvees dont have the 2 inch letters with US ARMY and the reggie number on the inside of the A post down by the drivers footwell.. Is that what your talking about Carnac?

evets

Numbers Found on A Frame at Windshield Base

Thanks to you all for your help.
ClarckF the only numbers I find anywhere at the windshield base are: 31207.
No other writing at all. They are embossed into the metal.
CARNAC: If I can get a VIN I will make a donation for sure.
m35tech & emando22: Yes I have already gotten a fuel filter & air filter from Kascar. They are high but so far the only parts source I have found.

We havent gotten the Bully Dog system working yet but are working on that now. This is an older system, no coolant lines from the radiator to the propane regulator. And just one on-off switch controlling the solenoid. I called Bully Dog and they said that was how the older syetms were set up.

We did get the engine running a LOT better when we changed the fuel and filter and added some BG fuel system cleaner, but it still smokes a lot off idle. Hardly any smoke at idle. And it does smell like raw diesel. I think I will pull the pump and injectors and send them and have them checked out.

Thanks to all for your continued help.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are LOTS of parts sources.. Rank and File, Ebay, Owens Export, TNJ Murray, Jim Henry, John Winslow, Gene Pantano and others..

Southern Yankee

Another good source for 6.2 n/a ,6.5 n/a, and 6.5 turbo parts......or parts for an diesel really is Diesel Power Inc. Greenville, SC. Their phone # is 1-864-269-6800. I have had them do some work for me in the past. Prices are not too bad but the service is awesome.

fobrat

I do not know if this will help but the civilan injector pumps are the same just have to change the tops of the pumps. Also the smoke could be head gaskets, easy way to check is take the radiator cap off start the engine and if you get bubbles in the resivor head gaskets are bad. But smoke they all smoke if they have been sitting for a long time and need to be worked, as I see all the time working on National Guard Hmmwv's full time. Any ? be glad to help. also for parts try Mac motors or NAPA we get parts form them all the time.

TedG

I am pretty sure that the a-pillar number is not the sn but a tub number. The sn is assigned later on...I have never seen the a-pillar number match a serial number on legit humvees.

I have parts for these things...pm me for needs.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just checked on a bunch of Still in military use M998's.. The "tub #" matched the serial # on every one.. Build dates were from 1987-1999.

The 31207 humvee was built in 6/86. Mine is very close in serial # range...

TedG

That is really interesting Mark. Thanks for looking. On the units I have had or have looked at, they did not match. These came out of the GA auction and did not appear to be manipulated. So perhaps they were syncronized during 1987. I would still be cautious about using the a-pillar as the serial number if one does not know the year.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard a story from one of the auctions where the dataplates were removed from the vehicles, and put in a box. You bid on a truck, and if you won it, you could grab a dataplate out of the box. Not THE dataplate that matched the truck, just like the one on top of the pile.. If they didnt know about the "tub number" I guess it would be a seemingly "OK" way to give out the dataplates, as all the trucks were "The same"... I havent been able to confirm this info though, but I know my dataplate WASNT attached to the truck when I got it, and was not the correct # that matched the tub. The serial # was all XXXXX'ed out, but not too well.. Looks like a low paid worker got told to do the job on all the 100's of humvees out there....

Anyone got more info on the auction and how it worked?

Thanks!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The exUSMC (or is it former USMC) humvees dont have the 2 inch letters with US ARMY and the reggie number on the inside of the A post down by the drivers footwell.. Is that what your talking about Carnac?
Yep, sure seems it's USMC. I just rechecked the number and it still came up as a no-go

TedG

Hi Mark,

The trucks that I have owned seemed to not have the data plates removed. I think this because of paint lines, rivets and looks. I have not heard the data plate box story. In fact all my trucks the serial number was not smeared but the registration number was hit with a grinder. I have seen this on the trucks that were sold last fall out of Iowa as well (private sale). The hood numbers were also ground down.

Hi Bart,

I have documentation that one of my trucks sold at the GA auction for $6,000! Then resold for $22,500. Nice profit eh?

Regards,