• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One Deuce battery died

bmH1065

I was looking for that too. I read on here somewhere that you could use batteries out of a Dodge Diesel pu. Walmarts say they are 850 cca and the ones I have are 1000. Didn't know if that made any difference.

mcmullag

holy amperage batman!

My truck would not start yesterday. I put two new 6 TL's in it in March 2011, had just picked the truck up last fall from GL and it came with dead batteries in it. I looked on here and saw about buying group 31s. I ended up buying two group 24's from Wally World, since they have about 100 amps more cold cranking than the 31's.
On one of the 6TL's, as I was working on taking it out, the positive post broke off the battery real easy, the positive post connected to the cable going over to the other battery, it looks crumbly and brittle, like it is decayed.
I still had the original batteries that came with the truck sitting around and I noticed on one of them, the top of the battery is bulged up by the positive post.
I guess that the alternator is overcharging and cooking the **** out of the battery but I do not now why only one was affected
and why water is not boiling out of them. I have constantly been checking the fluid level over the summer and really have not needed to add. I need to find a voltmeter that will read up to 28 or 30 volts and get this thing adjusted correctly.

steelandcanvas

Adjust the voltage regulator in the alternator by using the gauge on your instrument panel. There is a little white tic mark on the green band in the gauge. Adjust to that point at idle. There should be a hex plug on the alternator next to the words "Voltage Adjust". Unscrew the plug and adjust while Soldier B is watching the gauge.

Hello steelandcanvas! I bought some 6TL Interstate batteries 3 years ago here at their distrbutor in Helena,MT and they were $85.00 a piece. They were new and not blems. They are a copy of the originals. I've never had any trouble with them. I'm sure the price is higher now. Good luck in your hunt for some. elkhunter

Loco_Hosa

Adjust the voltage regulator in the alternator by using the gauge on your instrument panel. There is a little white tic mark on the green band in the gauge. Adjust to that point at idle. There should be a hex plug on the alternator next to the words "Voltage Adjust". Unscrew the plug and adjust while Soldier B is watching the gauge.
Awesomely helpful post!